ADVERTISEMENT

Grad transfer QB to visit IU...

You can never have too much QB talent so he'd be more than welcome. Not loving that TD/INT ratio, though.

That is mostly true. We had a lot of talent a few years back and "poof". It would not be worth it if you have 3 guys that are very unhappy for a player that just has one year to play. It would not hurt my feeling if he ended up elsewhere.

Seems like if any grad transfer could come in, would have been great to do so in Jan to go thru spring ball. Otherwise, could be disruptive if comes in fall, only has 1 year, and maybe expectations to play immediately?

If we pass on him and let our current three battle it out, you know IU is going to have a scholly QB going forward in every new recruiting class and this year, I'd still like to say Ben Davis QB has talent to step in in a pinch. Unless it's unreal talent (like if was QB beaten out at Alabama) for now, I say pass on him and trust the talent we have - 3 (& a Mr. Football 4th if needed).

I'm guessing if they're serious about him they're looking at him as a run first, pass 2nd type guy who would help us hang onto the ball and grind it down the field, forcing the safeties to move up into the box and then allowing him to occasionally throw it deep over the top of them.

This move would also allow a Redshirt for Penix (looks like he could use a Redshirt years 10-12 pounds of muscle gain to deal with a Big Ten seasons pounding) and it would spread the QB talent more evenly across the classes.

Seems like a good idea to me...

I doubt he'd just come in and "take" the job to open things down at FIU.

I think he'd be more of a talented depth guy that they'd get in some early games so if they needed him late he'd have some reps under his belt.

So..., I would expect to see him play some early and maybe even take the job over later in the year if he played well enough.

You usually need two, or sometimes even three QBs in this league, like it or not...(in my opinion).

I see him as a potential positive asset.

Last edited:
Do we really want to redshirt a quarterback so he can leave for a different program his senior year?

I'm guessing if they're serious about him they're looking at him as a run first, pass 2nd type guy who would help us hang onto the ball and grind it down the field, forcing the safeties to move up into the box and then allowing him to occasionally throw it deep over the top of them.

This move would also allow a Redshirt for Penix (looks like he could use a Redshirt years 10-12 pounds of muscle gain to deal with a Big Ten seasons pounding) and it would spread the QB talent more evenly across the classes.

Seems like a good idea to me...

I doubt he'd just come in and "take" the job to open things down at FIU.

I think he'd be more of a talented depth guy that they'd get in some early games so if they needed him late he'd have some reps under his belt.

So..., I would expect to see him play some early and maybe even take the job over later in the year if he played well enough.

You usually need two, or sometimes even three QBs in this league, like it or not...(in my opinion).

I see him as a potential positive asset.
I see what you are getting at, but I’m hoping to see only one quarterback win the job and play exclusively until he is injured or loses the job. If we bring this guy in to run a package then it means we don’t have our guy.

I see what you are getting at, but I’m hoping to see only one quarterback win the job and play exclusively until he is injured or loses the job. If we bring this guy in to run a package then it means we don’t have our guy.

Ordinarily I would totally agree with your premise but it looks to me like A ] they got a little spooked last year when both of the top QBs got hurt (story is that Lagow played dinged up in the pu game), and B] looks to me like they really, really want to find a way to run the ball and they don't think they'll be able to open up the run game with any sort of all four downs deep ball threat...; so..., you add another runner in the backfield at QB and allow that threat to open up the occasional deep ball. You have to work with the tools you've got (in my opinion).

Reactions: vesuvius13
People need to understand a couple of things...we have no upperclassman QB on the roster, and as we have seen are one play away from an all frosh QB room going into a brutal season in a critical year in regards to perception/recruiting/momentum. It’s totally logical to pursue a grad transfer. Unlike JUCO or other options, most grad transfers happen in the summer, after graduation in the spring. It’s obviously not ideal, but CTA is playing the hand he was dealt.

Ordinarily I would totally agree with your premise but it looks to me like A ] they got a little spooked last year when both of the top QBs got hurt (story is that Lagow played dinged up in the pu game), and B] looks to me like they really, really want to find a way to run the ball and they don't think they'll be able to open up the run game with any sort of all four downs deep ball threat...; so..., you add another runner in the backfield at QB and allow that threat to open up the occasional deep ball. You have to work with the tools you've got (in my opinion).
I agree with you on the first part, and similar to what iueyedoc eludes to regarding depth at the position. If we are bringing him in because he could be a starter or second string then i’m all for it. His numbers aren’t great, but maybe he needs a different system. Your second point is the type of game strategy that I hope we get away from. Each quarterback has a package of plays curtailed to them. The player with the best chances to be effective should get all the snaps. Bringing in another quarterback changes blocking angles, and route timing. I would avoid it at all costs. Wilson was able to pull it off, but most can’t and shouldn’t try.

Bringing in another quarterback changes blocking angles, and route timing. I would avoid it at all costs. Wilson was able to pull it off, but most can’t and shouldn’t try.
Two very different situations. Lagow was a JUCO with two years of eligibility, while this guy is a grad transfer and we'd only have him for one season. And Lagow and Diamont were entirely different QBs, whereas Dawkins and Ramsey are both mobile and dual-threat. Also, Wilson had to bring in another QB. Our current situation isn't desperate but, as noted above, you can never have too much QB talent. We only have to look back to 2014 for a stark reminder of that - - a lack of depth at the position going into the season, and then two QBs going down in the same game.

My thought is, if the guy's interested and signals that he's a team player, bring him on. Expectations will have to be clearly set, though, and managed. For example, Dawkins has started a bunch of games. Would that be his expectation at IU? If he starts, what would that mean for Ramsey's, Tronti's and/or Penix's development? I trust Allen to manage this appropriately if, in fact, Dawkins continues to have an interest in IU.

Two very different situations. Lagow was a JUCO with two years of eligibility, while this guy is a grad transfer and we'd only have him for one season. And Lagow and Diamont were entirely different QBs, whereas Dawkins and Ramsey are both mobile and dual-threat. Also, Wilson had to bring in another QB. Our current situation isn't desperate but, as noted above, you can never have too much QB talent. We only have to look back to 2014 for a stark reminder of that - - a lack of depth at the position going into the season, and then two QBs going down in the same game.

My thought is, if the guy's interested and signals that he's a team player, bring him on. Expectations will have to be clearly set, though, and managed. For example, Dawkins has started a bunch of games. Would that be his expectation at IU? If he starts, what would that mean for Ramsey's, Tronti's and/or Penix's development? I trust Allen to manage this appropriately if, in fact, Dawkins continues to have an interest in IU.

I would be really surprised if this Dawkins kid doesn’t wind up at UCLA.
Chip Kelly has run this type of run-and-shoot deal before at Oregon.
Rosen is gone but he signed a highly rated freshman QB and took a grad transfer from Washington. It’s a pretty wide open competition and all new faces for a new coach. It’s also got the geographic thing as the kid is from California.
But, stranger things have happened.
Nebraska might make even more sense for the guy. They have a RS who didn’t play, an incoming highly rated freshman and s transfer from UCF that still must sit out 2018.

I would be really surprised if this Dawkins kid doesn’t wind up at UCLA.
Chip Kelly has run this type of run-and-shoot deal before at Oregon.
Rosen is gone but he signed a highly rated freshman QB and took a grad transfer from Washington. It’s a pretty wide open competition and all new faces for a new coach. It’s also got the geographic thing as the kid is from California.
But, stranger things have happened.
Nebraska might make even more sense for the guy. They have a RS who didn’t play, an incoming highly rated freshman and s transfer from UCF that still must sit out 2018.
From the list of schools he has to pick from, I think it’s diubtful he ends up here.

If the kid commits here it’s because he believes he’ll be the starter. If the staff thinks he can compete with our current lineup then I think it’s a good idea. We don’t have a clear option right now. Competition is always good.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
He has speed, he has some side, and he can make some throws. Based on pure ability, he may give IU the best chance to win. It comes down to other intangibles obviously, and we don’t know how much the other QB’s have improved, but based on the film available he’s likely the best option. A lot of it comes down to Deboard as well and what he wants to run. Arizona had a run heavy team. So for Dawkins to have success he needs a line. Arizona also had athletic tight ends who could block in space on read options, so our TE blocking will need to be solid. Lastly, Arizona depended on quick Receivers to find space on RPO’s... something Dawkins will have to use in order to be successful. Do we have the little quick guys who can run those hitches, bubbles and slants? If our personnel has the attributes I mentioned, Dawkins can have some level of success in this offense and potentially start. The question will come down to whether or not Tronti and Ramsey improved. If they did, the staff will likely back off of Dawkins. If there developement was shaky, they’ll stay on Dawkins. There are other holes on the roster, so signing Dawkins could hint at the reality that CTA was comfortable not addressing other needs in order to get Dawkins, which would hint that the other QB’s aren’t where they need to be yet

The difference between this and 2014 is that Tronti may actually be a viable backup. In 2014 there was no viable backup. None of us know where Tronti is development wise obviously, but IF he’s where he needs to be, the marginal benefit of bringing in another QB is lower than the benefit of bringing in a lineman imho. A lot of this depends on where the staff believes Tronti is at the moment, because you only pass up adding another veteran lineman if you really don’t think you have a QB of backup QB that can perform. Adding 3 QB’s and not adding a lineman hints that the QB situation may not be great since line has holes.

The difference between this and 2014 is that Tronti may actually be a viable backup. In 2014 there was no viable backup. None of us know where Tronti is development wise obviously, but IF he’s where he needs to be, the marginal benefit of bringing in another QB is lower than the benefit of bringing in a lineman imho. A lot of this depends on where the staff believes Tronti is at the moment, because you only pass up adding another veteran lineman if you really don’t think you have a QB of backup QB that can perform. Adding 3 QB’s and not adding a lineman hints that the QB situation may not be great since line has holes.
You make some good points, but here's my concern. Ramsey missed significant time at the end of last season due to a knee injury. Maybe you know, but I have no idea whether he's 100%. And, given his style of play, he's going to continue to get hit. Tronti may, in fact, now be a viable backup, but I would hate like heck for this critically important season to be riding on the arm and legs of someone who has yet to take a snap in a college game.

And you're right - - our QB situation now isn't the same (thank God) as it was in 2014, but there are lessons to be learned from that fateful season. Regardless of whether Covington was a viable QB backup in '14, he was in fact our No. 2 and suffered a season-ending injury in the same game that Sudfeld suffered a season-ending injury, and we were suddenly forced to go to the third string guy who clearly wasn't ready. And IU is far from the only team that's been forced to go third-string recently (e.g. Maryland last season). It happens more than rarely. If, God forbid, both No. 1 and No. 2 were to get hurt, we're looking at a true freshman to run the offense.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but, the more I ponder it, the more I'm hoping we can add Dawkins.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Or..., it may mean that the OL grad transfer prospects that are still available don't show the potential to be better then who we already have penciled in on the two deep roster; whereas the QB being discussed has shown flashes of the talent to be real two deep option in our Offense...

You make some good points, but here's my concern. Ramsey missed significant time at the end of last season due to a knee injury. Maybe you know, but I have no idea whether he's 100%. And, given his style of play, he's going to continue to get hit. Tronti may, in fact, now be a viable backup, but I would hate like heck for this critically important season to be riding on the arm and legs of someone who has yet to take a snap in a college game.

And you're right - - our QB situation now isn't the same (thank God) as it was in 2014, but there are lessons to be learned from that fateful season. Regardless of whether Covington was a viable QB backup in '14, he was in fact our No. 2 and suffered a season-ending injury in the same game that Sudfeld suffered a season-ending injury, and we were suddenly forced to go to the third string guy who clearly wasn't ready. And IU is far from the only team that's been forced to go third-string recently (e.g. Maryland last season). It happens more than rarely. If, God forbid, both No. 1 and No. 2 were to get hurt, we're looking at a true freshman to run the offense.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but, the more I ponder it, the more I'm hoping we can add Dawkins.
Ramsey is healthy. He’s practicing normally.

We just brought in Linder for the OL.

The guy is transferring because he was beat out for the starting role at Arizona, let’s keep that in mind. This isn’t a Russell Wilson situation. I don’t think it’s safe to even assume that he would start at IU from Day 1.

In an odd twist of fate, the kid is also being heavily recruited by former Arizona and Indiana coach Rod Smith, now the offensive coordinator at Illinois under Lovie Smith.

The guy is transferring because he was beat out for the starting role at Arizona, let’s keep that in mind. This isn’t a Russell Wilson situation. I don’t think it’s safe to even assume that he would start at IU from Day 1.

In an odd twist of fate, the kid is also being heavily recruited by former Arizona and Indiana coach Rod Smith, now the offensive coordinator at Illinois under Lovie Smith.

Illinois already got a grad transfer at qb. He's not going there.

Reactions: 76-1

From watching his clips he appears to have the 50 yard plus type of deep ball accuracy that many on here are concerned that Ramsey may not have.

Roll that in with the fact that Penix just passed Tronti for the number 2 position (at least in Spring) and that Penix clearly needs another 10 pounds, or more, of muscle to stay healthy throughout a full Big Ten season (in other words, in my opinion, he needs a Redshirt year). Per those film clips, I'd say he has a legit shot at coming in and winning a starting position..., or at minimum, splitting playing time as the starter.

We have some stiff competition for him but I hope he chooses IU.

From watching his clips he appears to have the 50 yard plus type of deep ball accuracy that many on here are concerned that Ramsey may not have.

Roll that in with the fact that Penix just passed Tronti for the number 2 position (at least in Spring) and that Penix clearly needs another 10 pounds, or more, of muscle to stay healthy throughout a full Big Ten season (in other words, in my opinion, he needs a Redshirt year). Per those film clips, I'd say he has a legit shot at coming in and winning a starting position..., or at minimum, splitting playing time as the starter.

I agree. Can never have enough experienced QBs with power five competition under their belt. The guy did start 22 games he just got beat out last year.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman

Did not know about the QB depth chart. Was there an article?

Did not know about the QB depth chart. Was there an article?

That bit of info was in either an article I read or a video of TA speaking that I viewed sometime over the past 4 days...

I was surprised to hear it given all the hype at least one poster on here had given the other guy over the past year.

It could very well be (and most likely is) a "temporary" promotion based on the most recent scrimmage rather than a final decision.

I doubt we'll know the "real" final 2018 three deep at QB until we're headed into the Virginia game.

I was over at Illinois when we dominated them for three quarters. Then LoVecchio was injured and we had to bring in Blake Powers. He threw two interceptions and we ended up losing because of that. Then I had to hear some jerk say that they should play IU every week. I yelled out that they injured our quarterback and that's now they won. It still wasn't as bad as the low-life Kentucky fans after leaving there one time. I wouldn't have taken it if we hadn't been with another couple.

Reactions: RBB89
I was over at Illinois when we dominated them for three quarters. Then LoVecchio was injured and we had to bring in Blake Powers. He threw two interceptions and we ended up losing because of that. Then I had to hear some jerk say that they should play IU every week. I yelled out that they injured our quarterback and that's now they won. It still wasn't as bad as the low-life Kentucky fans after leaving there one time. I wouldn't have taken it if we hadn't been with another couple.

I was there, too. The worst part is that we lost by leaving a receiver completely unaccounted for at the goal line. There was no DB within 10 yards when the ball was snapped.

Reactions: RBB89
The sad thing is that every one of our fans could see that open receiver, yet somehow DiNardo couldn't convey that to the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT