ADVERTISEMENT

Governors outperforming Trump

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
A new poll that surveyed residents of all 50 states found that residents of every state rated their governor better than they rated the President regarding response to the coronavirus crisis. Interesting, but that wasn't enough for me. We've discussed previously which governors were really shining during this time, and I wanted to see how that was reflected in the numbers compared to what might be expected just from partisan bias. So I compared the numbers to 538's partisan lean of each state, and the results are mostly not surprising. The top two governors are Democratic governors getting good marks in deeply red states:

1. Andy Beshear (KY) - Does 30 points better than Trump in a R+23 state for a difference of 53.
2. Laura Kelly (KS) - Also in a R+23 state, does 21 points better for a difference of 44.

The next three are all Republicans in blue states (since they are Republicans, partisan lean is disregarded):

3. Phil Scott (VT) - 43 points better than Trump.
4 (tie). Charlie Baker (MA) and Larry Hogan (MD) - both 42 points better than Trump.

The next four are all red states, but with two GOP governors and two Dem:
6 (tie). John Bel Edwards (LA) - 19 points better than Trump in a R+17 state, for a total of 36.
6 (tie). Chris Sununu (NH)) - 36 points better than Trump.
8. Mike DeWine (OH) - 32 points better than Trump.
9. Seth Bullock (MT) - 13 points better than Trump in a R+18 state, for a difference of 31.

Rounding out the top ten is our first Dem in a blue state:
10. Tim Walz (MN) - 30 points better than Trump in a D+2 state, for a difference of 28.

Holcomb rates 20 points better than Trump, which is good for a tie for 20th place on this list, along with Democrats Ned Lamont (CT) and Tony Evers (WI).

At the bottom is the only governor who is underperforming:
50. David Ige (HI) - 7 points better than Trump in a D+36 state for a total of -29. For comparison, the next "worse" governors are Mark Gordon (WY) and Kevin Stitt (OK), governors in two of the three reddest states, each only outperforming Trump by 2, still 31 points better than Ige when adjusted for partisan lean.

Interesting. Hard to believe Kemp in Georgia is not at the bottom. I've got relatives there and they are furious with him for reopening too soon.

A new poll that surveyed residents of all 50 states found that residents of every state rated their governor better than they rated the President regarding response to the coronavirus crisis. Interesting, but that wasn't enough for me. We've discussed previously which governors were really shining during this time, and I wanted to see how that was reflected in the numbers compared to what might be expected just from partisan bias. So I compared the numbers to 538's partisan lean of each state, and the results are mostly not surprising. The top two governors are Democratic governors getting good marks in deeply red states:

1. Andy Beshear (KY) - Does 30 points better than Trump in a R+23 state for a difference of 53.
2. Laura Kelly (KS) - Also in a R+23 state, does 21 points better for a difference of 44.

The next three are all Republicans in blue states (since they are Republicans, partisan lean is disregarded):

3. Phil Scott (VT) - 43 points better than Trump.
4 (tie). Charlie Baker (MA) and Larry Hogan (MD) - both 42 points better than Trump.

The next four are all red states, but with two GOP governors and two Dem:
6 (tie). John Bel Edwards (LA) - 19 points better than Trump in a R+17 state, for a total of 36.
6 (tie). Chris Sununu (NH)) - 36 points better than Trump.
8. Mike DeWine (OH) - 32 points better than Trump.
9. Seth Bullock (MT) - 13 points better than Trump in a R+18 state, for a difference of 31.

Rounding out the top ten is our first Dem in a blue state:
10. Tim Walz (MN) - 30 points better than Trump in a D+2 state, for a difference of 28.

Holcomb rates 20 points better than Trump, which is good for a tie for 20th place on this list, along with Democrats Ned Lamont (CT) and Tony Evers (WI).

At the bottom is the only governor who is underperforming:
50. David Ige (HI) - 7 points better than Trump in a D+36 state for a total of -29. For comparison, the next "worse" governors are Mark Gordon (WY) and Kevin Stitt (OK), governors in two of the three reddest states, each only outperforming Trump by 2, still 31 points better than Ige when adjusted for partisan lean.
for Kentuckians they should be damn grateful that Bevin got defeated , he might be as dumb as trump

What does Tuck Carlson and Hannity have to say about it? That’s what matters, GOAT. Probably a poll of fake govners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT