ADVERTISEMENT

GOP Group Calls On Pence To Invoke The 25th Amendment And Calls This Sedition

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
GOP-allied business group joins calls for Pence to consider invoking 25th Amendment
The head of the National Association of Manufacturers has called on Vice President Mike Pence to consider removing President Donald Trump from office for inciting the rioting seen inside the Capitol Wednesday. Jay Timmons, the NAM's president and CEO, blasted the "armed violent protestors who support the baseless claim by outgoing president (sic) Trump that he somehow won an election that he overwhelmingly lost." Timmons is a former high-level Republican congressional aide who led the National Republican Senatorial Committee in 2004.

"Throughout this whole disgusting episode, Trump has been cheered on by members of his own party, adding fuel to the distrust that has enflamed violent anger. This is not law and order. This is chaos. It is mob rule. It is dangerous. This is sedition and should be treated as such," Timmons said in a statement released by the association.

"The outgoing president incited violence in an attempt to retain power, and any elected leader defending him is violating their oath to the Constitution and rejecting democracy in favor of anarchy. Anyone indulging conspiracy theories to raise campaign dollars is complicit. Vice President Pence, who was evacuated from the Capitol, should seriously consider working with the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment to preserve democracy."

Under the 25th amendment, the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet can declare that the president is "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his officers," which would trigger the vice president replacing him. This scenario is unlikely. The association represents all the manufacturing sector's interests in DC, billing itself as the largest manufacturing association. Some of the group's leadership also has close ties to the GOP, having previously worked for Republican members and/or causes.

I can't stand Pence, but this would be signing off o his own execution.

GOP-allied business group joins calls for Pence to consider invoking 25th Amendment
The head of the National Association of Manufacturers has called on Vice President Mike Pence to consider removing President Donald Trump from office for inciting the rioting seen inside the Capitol Wednesday. Jay Timmons, the NAM's president and CEO, blasted the "armed violent protestors who support the baseless claim by outgoing president (sic) Trump that he somehow won an election that he overwhelmingly lost." Timmons is a former high-level Republican congressional aide who led the National Republican Senatorial Committee in 2004.

"Throughout this whole disgusting episode, Trump has been cheered on by members of his own party, adding fuel to the distrust that has enflamed violent anger. This is not law and order. This is chaos. It is mob rule. It is dangerous. This is sedition and should be treated as such," Timmons said in a statement released by the association.

"The outgoing president incited violence in an attempt to retain power, and any elected leader defending him is violating their oath to the Constitution and rejecting democracy in favor of anarchy. Anyone indulging conspiracy theories to raise campaign dollars is complicit. Vice President Pence, who was evacuated from the Capitol, should seriously consider working with the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment to preserve democracy."

Under the 25th amendment, the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet can declare that the president is "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his officers," which would trigger the vice president replacing him. This scenario is unlikely. The association represents all the manufacturing sector's interests in DC, billing itself as the largest manufacturing association. Some of the group's leadership also has close ties to the GOP, having previously worked for Republican members and/or causes.
That would likely make a really, really bad situation even worse.

Well, Trump is going to make it even worse. Listen to his statement:

The man is insane. Someone was just shot to death INSIDE the U.S. Capital.

That would likely make a really, really bad situation even worse.

Last edited:
The country held hostage by a mad man should leave well enough alone, as we're afraid of mobs.

What a country we've become.
I never said that. You seriously think if Trump is removed from office he'll just sail off into the distance? C'mon. You're smarter than that. His ability to incite would simply be magnified if he is unwillingly removed from office.

I never said that. You seriously think if Trump is removed from office he'll just sail off into the distance? C'mon. You're smarter than that. His ability to incite would simply be magnified if he is unwillingly removed from office.
Again.

I don't disagree with that.... but it implies we're now at the point where we have to bend over to mob rule. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Reactions: Noodle and DrHoops
Another one underestimates the insanity and barbarism of Trump.
The Republic just needs to survive 14 more days.
Defacto 25th can be achieved simply by no one following Trump's orders.

Defacto 25th can be achieved simply by no one following Trump's orders.

I am somewhat reasonably confident that will happen if Trump tries to take certain actions. I think it is telling that it was supposedly Pence, not Trump, who called out the National Guard.

Then again, maybe not.

I am somewhat reasonably confident that will happen if Trump tries to take certain actions. I think it is telling that it was supposedly Pence, not Trump, who called out the National Guard.

Then again, maybe not.
I also heard earlier today, right before the shit hit the fan, that Milley had been asked point blank about doing anything to interfere with the transition of power and he bluntly said the military would ignore any illegal order. Of course they have to say that, but in context it sounded more like they had given this considerable thought and were prepared.

I also heard earlier today, right before the shit hit the fan, that Milley had been asked point blank about doing anything to interfere with the transition of power and he bluntly said the military would ignore any illegal order. Of course they have to say that, but in context it sounded more like they had given this considerable thought and were prepared.

I read somewhere that the Pentagon has been "secretly" preparing for how to deal with Trump's possible refusal to leave. It's surely being discussed.

Reactions: Bill4411
Impeachment on the other hand.
I don’t think it will happen, but my understanding is impeachment and conviction would disqualify him from holding federal office again. Congress should close this window for good. That said, I would feel better about our nation’s security if Pence and the cabinet kicked him to the curb via the 25th.

Reactions: MaxCoke and DrHoops
Chuck Todd of Meet The Press (I can't stand him personally) just said that there IS serious talk of invoking the 25th Amendment amongst Pence and other staffers.
It takes half the Cabinet. They're all ass lickers. Not happening unless he's having a psychotic breakdown.

At what point can a President be charged with sedition?

At a minimum, we need to have that discussion in Congress.

In that case, he at least wouldn't have launch codes or pardons or vetoes and the Secret Service would treat him as just a "protectee" instead of a "President."

In that case, he at least wouldn't have launch codes or pardons or vetoes and the Secret Service would treat him as just a "protectee" instead of a "President."

Maybe Pence needs to con him into falling for the pardon ploy people were talking about a few weeks ago. Trump temporarily relinquishes power to Pence, Pence pardons Trump, etc. Only in this instance they change the locks on the White House while Pence is in charge.

Perhaps he would be accompanied on his "sailing" by the FBI and other law enforcement activities. That would take care of your concern.

Can someone just order a myocardial infarction?

Perhaps he would be accompanied on his "sailing" by the FBI and other law enforcement activities. That would take care of your concern.
Serious question: if Trump is observed acting illegally, is the Secret Service obligated to act?

If he sticks around for another 2 weeks, is he going to sail off into the distance? No matter what happens, he will incite violence. This behavior cannot stand. The US Capital was invaded. One person was killed. The MAGA nuts are saying they'll be back with weapons.

Eventually there is going to need to meet this craziness head on. It's COMPLETELY out of hand.

There have to be consequences for this. It can't stand.

I said a while ago, Biden is about to step into one of the most difficult presidencies in living memory. Its nothing more than a calling, a 'national service' at this point.

If he does nothing, he is seen as weak. And will only encourage a power-drunk Trump to incite his mob further.

If he does something then he will be accused of taking his eye off the ball/Pandemic and turning the country into a banana republic by going after an ex-Prez.

Its a lose-lose situation for the Biden Presidency.

Reactions: Bill4411
Maybe Pence needs to con him into falling for the pardon ploy people were talking about a few weeks ago. Trump temporarily relinquishes power to Pence, Pence pardons Trump, etc. Only in this instance they change the locks on the White House while Pence is in charge.
Pence should then double cross him and not give him a pardon.

ADVERTISEMENT