ADVERTISEMENT

Good update on Kaufman

He really hasn’t even talked to Miller until recently? That seems like a problem.

He really hasn’t even talked to Miller until recently? That seems like a problem.

Yeah, that puzzles me too. How much time and effort does it take to make a phone call to one of your top targets on a semi-regular basis (within the rules, Kelvin)?

I get that assistants are typically assigned to take the lead on recruits. So I have no problem with him having lots of contact with Ostrom. But we shouldn't be hearing that he's only having one-on-one contact with the HC this late in the process.

I'll bet that Tony Bennett and Buzz Williams are talking to Trey directly, even if he's technically assigned to an assistant.

I'm sure imminent has a different meaning now than in February.

I find that hard to believe since Miller has been to Silver Creek last season and went in locker room.

I didn't get the impression from his comment that TK had never spoken with CAM. Rather, it seemed he was suggesting that they had only spoken directly on rare occasions....at least, that's Kaufman's impression.

And it would follow that this would be comparative. That is, compared to other head coaches recruiting him (Bennett, Williams, Painter, Mack, etal), he's spoken to Archie less than he's spoken to them.

Again, it's pretty much always the case that an assistant will take the lead on a recruit. But you'd think that a HC would make a point to regularly reach out. It communicates interest....like calling a girl after meeting her at a party or something. That's what you do when you're interested.

I didn't get the impression from his comment that TK had never spoken with CAM. Rather, it seemed he was suggesting that they had only spoken directly on rare occasions....at least, that's Kaufman's impression.

And it would follow that this would be comparative. That is, compared to other head coaches recruiting him (Bennett, Williams, Painter, Mack, etal), he's spoken to Archie less than he's spoken to them.

Again, it's pretty much always the case that an assistant will take the lead on a recruit. But you'd think that a HC would make a point to regularly reach out. It communicates interest....like calling a girl after meeting her at a party or something. That's what you do when you're interested.

I would assume Archie knows what he’s doing relative to Kaufman recruitment because his success depends on landing him. It would be a huge setback if he didn’t get him because I don’t see a lot of comparable options out there

Reactions: Boilerpurdue
Does talk mean voice?
I often say I spoke to so and so yesterday and what I really did was text or email.
I do not know what is normal.

I would assume Archie knows what he’s doing relative to Kaufman recruitment because his success depends on landing him. It would be a huge setback if he didn’t get him because I don’t see a lot of comparable options out there

Losing a Southern IN kid you want, is never a good look for IU. It can happen, but it shouldn't very often that's for sure!

Losing a Southern IN kid you want, is never a good look for IU. It can happen, but it shouldn't very often that's for sure!
Mike Schumann at The Daily Hoosier has become a very reputable source, and is well-respected by the powers that be within IU Athletics. He reported something that has been well-known for quite some time, and that is Kaufman knows IU so well that the staff doesn't need to be in constant contact with him. The same can't be said for Virginia, Purdue or the rest of Kaufman's suitors, as he hasn't spent anywhere close to the same amount of time on those campuses as he has in Bloomington.

Those who don't understand the intricacies and dynamics of IU's recruiting strategy will understandably freak out at the thought of Archie not speaking with Kaufman every single day, but fear not -- IU will be his landing spot. Stay the course, my friends.

Mike Schumann at The Daily Hoosier has become a very reputable source, and is well-respected by the powers that be within IU Athletics. He reported something that has been well-known for quite some time, and that is Kaufman knows IU so well that the staff doesn't need to be in constant contact with him. The same can't be said for Virginia, Purdue or the rest of Kaufman's suitors, as he hasn't spent anywhere close to the same amount of time on those campuses as he has in Bloomington.

Those who don't understand the intricacies and dynamics of IU's recruiting strategy will understandably freak out at the thought of Archie not speaking with Kaufman every single day, but fear not -- IU will be his landing spot. Stay the course, my friends.

I agree, I really like The Daily Hoosier. You can tell Mike gets it.

I didn't read Archie getting more involved as a bad thing. I took it as him coming in for the close for a lack of a better way to say it.

I was under the impression that is all Knight every did. Come in and close the deal. Didn't do much of the recruitment at all.

Stone-cold, lead pipe lock, eh "Honcho"

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT