ADVERTISEMENT

Good luck with your hire from a Michigan fan

MiamiWolv

Newcomer
Nov 2, 2006
I think there is something to be said about hiring a guy who is one of you.

Not just Howard, but Painter at Purdue, Izzo at MSU, it’s been done.

I’m a knicks fan and Woodson was a good coach. Yes, it’s a transition to college but if you hire a good staff, he’s a good hire.

Agreed and congrats on the elite 8.

Just got back from Miami yesterday. Stayed at the Fontainbleau - Good time.

Michigan fan here too. Matta was an insanely good hire for Woodson. Phil Martelli doesn't really dabble in the X's and O's much, but he was instrumental in getting Juwan prepared for college in terms of basically all administrative stuff. Scheduling, recruiting organization, practices, etc. I'm guessing Matta will have a similar role. Everyone clowning this feels exactly like how people reacted to Juwan Howard being hired. I look forward to him proving them wrong. Well, not too forward to it, but you know...

The NBA is on the cutting edge of basketball trends. The notion that Woodson won't be a good X's and O's coach is absurd.

Michigan fan here too. Matta was an insanely good hire for Woodson. Phil Martelli doesn't really dabble in the X's and O's much, but he was instrumental in getting Juwan prepared for college in terms of basically all administrative stuff. Scheduling, recruiting organization, practices, etc. I'm guessing Matta will have a similar role. Everyone clowning this feels exactly like how people reacted to Juwan Howard being hired. I look forward to him proving them wrong. Well, not too forward to it, but you know...

The NBA is on the cutting edge of basketball trends. The notion that Woodson won't be a good X's and O's coach is absurd.
LOL, and people doubted Woodson. Obviously we'll have to see on the court, but recruiting, uh, looks like it won't be an issue. I'm always pro-Big Ten except for MSU and Illinois so I for one am happy to see it.

Reactions: iulb and Seyton

I’m a knicks fan and Woodson was a good coach. Yes, it’s a transition to college but if you hire a good staff, he’s a good hire.

The Michigan hire of Howard...I wasn't certain at the time, was a good thing. Dude can coach. Dude can recruit.

I do like that we, IU, have adopted some "lessons learned" here...and perhaps even from Michigan.

Woodie is off to a tremendous start (like Howard).
Woodie is surrounded by some really good college basketball minds (like Howard).

This, the way folks build a program around NBA coaching talent. It may be a thing.

Damn you Michigan < :) > getting there first.

Reactions: curly76

Izzo went to Northern Michigan.

The Michigan hire of Howard...I wasn't certain at the time, was a good thing. Dude can coach. Dude can recruit.

I do like that we, IU, have adopted some "lessons learned" here...and perhaps even from Michigan.

Woodie is off to a tremendous start (like Howard).
Woodie is surrounded by some really good college basketball minds (like Howard).

This, the way folks build a program around NBA coaching talent. It may be a thing.

Damn you Michigan < :) > getting there first.

B1G rivalries are very cyclical, but from 1985 to 1993, Indiana vs Michigan was as must see in the B1G as any B1G matchup.

Hopefully, Woodson gets it going because I’d love to see those games again!

B1G rivalries are very cyclical, but from 1985 to 1993, Indiana vs Michigan was as must see in the B1G as any B1G matchup.

Hopefully, Woodson gets it going because I’d love to see those games again!
Those were some great years and games!

Man, they absolutely were.
I was a sophomore at IU-B when the Fab Five were freshman and came to Bloomington ranked #1 (I believe). My student tix had me right behind a basket that night. Such a great game and those were some EPIC battles.

ADVERTISEMENT