ADVERTISEMENT

Godspeed, John McCain

But I’m fairly certain you were including Trump’s lack of invitation with that of Palin when using brain cancer to explain McCain’s decisions. Not that you’d ever admit it.
Fairly certain huh. As I said MCCain and his family have compelling reasons to exclude Trump. Sick or not. I would do exactly the same thing.

No need to apologize to me. The thought of Trump causes synapses to misfire for many people.

Fairly certain huh. As I said MCCain and his family have compelling reasons to exclude Trump. Sick or not. I would do exactly the same thing.

No need to apologize to me. The thought of Trump causes synapses to misfire for many people.
I actually am surprised about Sarah Palin. But we don’t know the ins and outs of what happened at the time and after between the two of them. My guess is , there probably was something .

How many people have you watched die with brain cancer? How many people whom you were very close to did you observe with physical disease affecting the brain? How many experts have you interviewed concerning the effects of brain trauma?

I’m amazed of the several responses here suggesting that brain cancer has no physical effect on one’s state of mind let alone the emotional trauma of that experience.

How many people have you watched die from brain cancer ? If you don't think John McCain was lucid when he planned his funeral, you're the one with a malfunction. In my health care career I've seen death in all of it's ugliness, how you doin' ?

How many people have you watched die from brain cancer ? If you don't think John McCain was lucid when he planned his funeral, you're the one with a malfunction. In my health care career I've seen death in all of it's ugliness, how you doin' ?

I didn’t say McCain wasn’t lucid when he planned his funeral.

Actually just now watching the services. Before hand, one of his aides talked about planning his service. Said McCain started planning it immediately after the diagnosis. Said he was excited about the planning and how much thought and work he put into it. Said he’d planned every last detail. Sounds like he was in very sound mind, according to him while doing so.

Reactions: futueteipsum
I didn’t say McCain wasn’t lucid when he planned his funeral.

You also didn't answer how many people you've seen die from BRAIN cancer,. You just danced around saying he couldn't have possibly omitted certain people because he had BRAIN cancer. Applying your logic, thanks for confirming Reagan had dementia his last 2+ years in office.

I actually am surprised about Sarah Palin. But we don’t know the ins and outs of what happened at the time and after between the two of them. My guess is , there probably was something .

Remember when the results came in and apparently, she pushed hard to make her own concession speech? That must have pissed him off, never mind her poor performances throughout the campaign that made his choice a laughing stock.

I’m amazed of the several responses here suggesting that brain cancer has no physical effect on one’s state of mind let alone the emotional trauma of that experience.

Of coarse it does, but everyone is different. Everyone responds differently to their disease and treatment, but you knew that because you diagnosed him...

You also didn't answer how many people you've seen die from BRAIN cancer,. You just danced around saying he couldn't have possibly omitted certain people because he had BRAIN cancer. Applying your logic, thanks for confirming Reagan had dementia his last 2+ years in office.

Reagan?!?!?! What does he have to do with this?

I also didn't say the mental changes bought about by the brain damage from cancer was the cause of McCain's decisions. Ya wanna go for the trifecta? I said it was reasonable to assume there was an effect to some degree.

Of coarse it does, but everyone is different. Everyone responds differently to their disease and treatment, but you knew that because you diagnosed him...

Of course everyone responds differently. I never suggested otherwise. I observed that McCain had brain cancer and that that often causes brain damage. McCain's condition is an important consideration as one assigns reasons for McCain's decisions. The posters in this thread discussing those reasons apparently did not consider the affects of McCain's brain disease.

Reagan?!?!?! What does he have to do with this?

I also didn't say the mental changes bought about by the brain damage from cancer was the cause of McCain's decisions. Ya wanna go for the trifecta? I said it was reasonable to assume there was an effect to some degree.

How is it reasonable when you don't know what you're talking about ? How many people have you seen die from BRAIN cancer ? It's the 3rd time I've asked.

Really? You guys are making an argument about CO with a stock letter from a Congressman? Do you even read the stories you post? You can tell the letter is written from his staff and signed by an auto pen . What yawners

Is that what you got out of it? There is a lot of kool-aid in your system.

It was meant to be another moment of grace and dignity of a dying man.

That was one of my favorite moments. The tributes were amazing, and a total rebuke to Trump and his type of politics from every single speaker, without once mentioning his name. I loved God Bless America too. I love that song and it always makes me teary. Seeing all the ex presidents belting it out with gusto was quite a moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
Very sad, but very inspiring. A great American and patriot.

It's pretty hard not to respect John McCain.

40222292_2774124305940915_2065646864400646144_n.jpg

Reactions: Bill4411
Apparently his letter was lost on you. The very first post after reading it is going on the attack. Have a little class, for God's sake.

:rolleyes:

Yes it is. The letter should bring everyone to tears. He deserved the same respect in 2008 when many in this thread were pillaring him. Especially the OP.

That's where I had my troubles with McCain. Sometimes his decisions were head-scratchers. If you ever get to see the movie Game Change, you feel bad for McCain, yet how they made that selection was insane. Zero research into her for the most part.

While his service to the nation is nothing short of exceptional and admirable, he deserved to be lampooned in 2008 for his awful Palin selection. I can trace that back to the dawn of the #NewGOP.

Agree. Although no one could be as insubstantial as Palin. And Ocasio-Cortez isn't on a Presidential ticket. I'm no Ocasio-Cortez fan.

She was horribly unimpressive in the debate. She came off as this down-home gal who wanted to come in as an outsider and used her little colloquialisms and instantly turned me off of her. I stood by McCain but looking back at it that was the first step towards the populist takeover into the #NewGOP.

Palin is a lot like Ocasio-Cortez. She at first seems like something that people desperately want her to be, but in the end there is no substance and only cartoonish unqualifications. Only cognitive dissonance prevents OC and Palin’s supporters from seeing the real story: that they’re not good for the country.

It's a free country. Go for it!

I learned something through McCain’s funeral arrangements that I have never considered.

I have made a hit list for my wife directing who shouldn’t be allowed at my wake or funeral services. I’ve also told her that at least half my pallbearers will be chosen based on poking my perceived enemies in the eye.

Occam's Razor: He hates Trump. Trump openly ridiculed McCain and even had the stones to say McCain was a loser for being captured. There's really nothing more to it. Trump is LOW CLASS. McCain hated him and he didn't want him at his funeral.

It's quite simple.

Because of his service I choose to give him this benefit of doubt. The amount of meds you are on through these illnesses in itself impede your thought processes. I have no doubt that Trump would not be one of his favorites even if he was perfectly healthy but I doubt the words/actions would be so public. The Palin thing is odd....it sounds like he blamed her for his last loss....

I think this is the best song about America, and Springsteen's description makes it better because I had never even thought about it before.

Slightly different version with a Gary, IN mention...and a bit less hopeful.

That was one of my favorite moments. The tributes were amazing, and a total rebuke to Trump and his type of politics from every single speaker, without once mentioning his name. I loved God Bless America too. I love that song and it always makes me teary. Seeing all the ex presidents belting it out with gusto was quite a moment.

Last edited:
I didn’t say the patient loses cognitive ability, although that might happen. Brain damage from trauma or disease often changes one’s personality and personal relationships. It might intensify existing personality traits. That’s well documented and I’ve seen it in clients and loved ones.

Where have you seen it well documented in relation to glioblastoma? I've not seen studies that suggest it causes brain damage in th way that you reference it. Wasn't my experience with glioblastoma.

Probably the hardest punch from the funeral:

"We gather here to mourn the passing of American greatness — the real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those who lived lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served."

I don't think there's any question what or whom she was talking about. If John McCain used his funeral to take a few final political swipes, as some in this thread accused him of, then I think his daughter probably did him proud by staying true to the theme.

Probably the hardest punch from the funeral:

"We gather here to mourn the passing of American greatness — the real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those who lived lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served."

I don't think there's any question what or whom she was talking about. If John McCain used his funeral to take a few final political swipes, as some in this thread accused him of, then I think his daughter probably did him proud by staying true to the theme.

It's the end of a generation. The Tip-Ronnie axis.
Hopefully, with this clusterfeck of a presidency, it will wake up the Congress to re-learn to do the nation's work rather than playing it like sport.

It's the end of a generation. The Tip-Ronnie axis.
Hopefully, with this clusterfeck of a presidency, it will wake up the Congress to re-learn to do the nation's work rather than playing it like sport.
"He was a great fire who burned bright. A few have resented that fire for that light it cast upon them, for the truth it revealed about their character, but my father never cared what they thought. And even that small number still have the opportunity, as long as they draw breath, to live up to the example of John McCain...

"The America of John McCain is the America of the revolution, fighters with no stomach for the summer soldier and the sunshine patriot, making the world anew with the bells of liberty. The America of John McCain is the America of Abraham Lincoln, fulfilling the promise of the Declaration of Independence that all men are created equal, and suffering greatly to see it through. The America of John McCain is the America of the boys who rushed the colors in every war across three centuries, knowing that in them is the life of the republic, and particularly those by their daring as Ronald Reagan said, gave up their chance as being husbands and fathers and grandfathers and gave up their chance to be revered old men. The America of John McCain is, yes, the America of Vietnam, fighting the fight, even in the most forlorn cause, even in the most grim circumstances, even in the most distant and hostile corner of the world, standing even in defeat for the life and liberty of other peoples in other lands.

"The America of John McCain is generous and welcoming and bold. She is resourceful, confident, secure. She meets her responsibilities. She speaks quietly because she is strong. America does not boast because she has no need to. The America of John McCain has no need to be made great again because America was always great."​

Just throwing this out there as a late night thought...am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a campaign speech? Marc Antony-esque, almost...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT