ADVERTISEMENT

Godspeed, John McCain

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
Years ago I read this book:

Robert Timberg weaves together the lives of Annapolis graduates John McCain, James Webb, Oliver North, Robert McFarlane, and John Poindexter to reveal how the Vietnam War continues to haunt America. Casting all five men as metaphors for a legion of well-meaning if ill-starred warriors, Timberg probes the fault line between those who fought the war and those who used money, wit, and connections to avoid battle. A riveting tale that illuminates the flip side of the fabled Vietnam generation -- those who went.
McCain was an admiral's son who gave it all when everyone would have understood if he'd done far less. I've disagreed with oh so many things he's said. Sometimes I thought that he was an asshole. But I have always seen him as a hero. And I'm sad that he's gone.

Robert Timberg weaves together the lives of Annapolis graduates John McCain, James Webb, Oliver North, Robert McFarlane, and John Poindexter to reveal how the Vietnam War continues to haunt America. Casting all five men as metaphors for a legion of well-meaning if ill-starred warriors, Timberg probes the fault line between those who fought the war and those who used money, wit, and connections to avoid battle. A riveting tale that illuminates the flip side of the fabled Vietnam generation -- those who went.
McCain was an admiral's son who gave it all when everyone would have understood if he'd done far less. I've disagreed with oh so many things he's said. Sometimes I thought that he was an asshole. But I have always seen him as a hero. And I'm sad that he's gone.
Good bye John.

One of the reports out tonight was that McCain's wishes include that eulogies at his funeral be delivered by Barack Obama and George W. Bush, the two men who most directly prevented him from ever becoming President. In explaining this, people who knew McCain said that he viewed these men as opponents, as adversaries, but never as enemies. They were colleagues and even friends. It reminded me of what has been one of my most enduring memories of McCain, when he fought directly against the growing nationalism in his own party, the eventual scope of which we only now begin to appreciate, by defending his opponent, Obama, at more than one campaign event:

There was no "Lock her up" from McCain. To him, the guy on the other side was just a man he disagreed with, a man he wanted to defeat in an election, but still an honorable, respectable fellow American servant of the people. In today's political climate crying out for a "return to civility," I'm not sure anything can highlight the true statesmanship that is now lacking better than McCain in 2008 reminding his supporters that his opponent is Barack Obama, not Satan.

Obviously, as you did, I also disagreed with McCain many, many times. But he has always had - and continues to have - my respect. I don't doubt for a minute that he spent his entire career in public service doing what he honestly thought was best for America.

One other historical curiosity. McCain passed nine years to the day after his friend, Senator Ted Kennedy, succumbed to exactly the same form of cancer. In 2009, McCain delivered a memorable eulogy at his fellow lion's memorial.

Almost a modern "Jefferson lives" type coincidence.

Last edited:
I have tried to honor an American hero. Get out of my thread you piece of shit.
This thread was a great idea, and it should include some great additions tomorrow when the rest of the gang wakes up. It's not a surprise to me that it's going to shit tonight because of a person that I can't even read unless I click on "Show Ignored Content."

I have tried to honor an American hero. Get out of my thread you piece of shit.

I'm sorry that "your thread" didn't get the traction you hoped for.

We have other McCain threads that pre-date yours, try taking your phony condolences there.

McCain often speaks as though he's had a snootful. The real question is why anyone is still listening to a guy who's been wrong almost as often as Bill Kristol.

This thread was a great idea, and it should include some great additions tomorrow when the rest of the gang wakes up. It's not a surprise to me that it's going to shit tonight because of a person that I can't even read unless I click on "Show Ignored Content."
I was feeling emotional about McCain, then this asshole shows up.

I love Paul Thorn. And I am not kidding when I say that you are #1 on my list of "Coolerites I must have a drink with before I die" list. I think we could make epic history at any bar on either side of the Ohio.
Well lets plan on drinking at the Bucket game with MTOTF this year at Nicks. I would love the experience.

People need to recognize what expressed on that night. America changed that night.
For the better in some ways, but not so in other, reactionary ones. Although, I think the other video I posted earlier shows that the worst of the worst was already brewing under the surface before the election, and McCain had to deal with it. Could you imagine how Trump would have responded to someone in his rally worrying aloud about his opponent being "an Arab?" I shudder.

McCain was a great man, no doubt about it. But his greatness is magnified by what we have today to compare to him. Seeing all these retrospectives on TV (which were clearly produced weeks go, of course), watching these old videos, reading all these articles, it's just a sad reminder of how far we've fallen in such a short time.

Reactions: hoot1 and twenty02
For the better in some ways, but not so in other, reactionary ones. Although, I think the other video I posted earlier shows that the worst of the worst was already brewing under the surface before the election, and McCain had to deal with it. Could you imagine how Trump would have responded to someone in his rally worrying aloud about his opponent being "an Arab?" I shudder.

McCain was a great man, no doubt about it. But his greatness is magnified by what we have today to compare to him. Seeing all these retrospectives on TV (which were clearly produced weeks go, of course), watching these old videos, reading all these articles, it's just a sad reminder of how far we've fallen in such a short time.
The Republic will survive.

In explaining this, people who knew McCain said that he viewed these men as opponents, as adversaries,

John McCain enjoyed being an "opponent"* more than any politician in my lifetime. That notion was both a blessing and a curse in scores of different ways in his public life.

*He called it "maverick".

John McCain is a shining example of what America and Americans should strive to be. He represented his constituents and never surrendered his integrity or beliefs. We would be in a much different place if the GOP was more like him.

I’m surprisingly emotional about this. This terrible type of brain cancer that took Kennedy, McCain and our own Coach Hoeppner.

To me, the greatest proof of McCain's willingness to put country first was his crusade against earmarks and refusing earmarks for his own constituency.

Cleaned thread up to rid it of some very offensive post by one individual. As a result other post were taken down that were "chain related". McCain was a true patriot, warrior, and hero. The person making these offensive remarks is now on a vacation from the Cooler. You all know who it was. It's sad that a post about the passing of a remarkable man and patriot were soiled momentarily by an unremarkable person and poster.

McCain was a great man. He was a gentleman and a patriot. Although I disagreed with his policies much of the time, I will definitely miss him.

What an amazing life he had. It's a life that should be celebrated.

One other historical curiosity. McCain passed nine years to the day after his friend, Senator Ted Kennedy, succumbed to exactly the same form of cancer. In 2009, McCain delivered a memorable eulogy at his fellow lion's memorial.

I find it....um.... ironic.... that your two posts about what you admire of McCain surround the admiration he displayed for some of the most left leaning people of the Democratic Party in Obama and Kennedy. Hence why his service to the country is respected by me but his inability to connect with the republican base is understandable.

Reactions: stollcpa

President Obama proved that the majority is not racist twice. I am just thankful none of the far right racists didn't assassinate him which was one of my great fears.

I find it....um.... ironic.... that your two posts about what you admire of McCain surround the admiration he displayed for some of the most left leaning people of the Democratic Party in Obama and Kennedy. Hence why his service to the country is respected by me but his inability to connect with the republican base is understandable.
He did follow Goldwater who didn't relate well to todays Republican base.

He connected with his Republican base just fine, until the age of Trump. He represented Republicans for over 30 years. He voted with them over 80% of the time. He knew Trump for what he was, for what most of us know he is. This, unacceptable for the party of Trump.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT