ADVERTISEMENT

God is on the ropes: The brilliant new science that has creationists.......

They use headlines to get you to click on it, but I think.....

they do a good job of posting article that are at least well thought out/supported and not Fox tripe.

and non-believers are "lost".

Not to mention going to Hell for all eternity. Lol

Insults abound.

This post was edited on 1/4 2:03 PM by UTFO

I don't know if he's lost, but I think he was questioning his beliefs....

long before the 'experiment'.

I have followed his story all year and I think his conclusion very pretty predictable.

I expected it all along.

His answer to the first question is why I said it...

One being that he read "dozens of books" and the other that he considers God an unnecessary complexity.

Christians really only need 1 book. It's all right there in the Bible.

He totally missed everything Jesus came to do. If he had read the teachings of Jesus and lived by them, he wouldn't have that opinion about God.

He was already on the way out. He didn't need to take a year off. It was completely selfish on his part.

I find that to be a very dangerous mindset.

"Christians really only need 1 book. It's all right there in the Bible."

I think people should be encouraged to read many books, and expose themselves to many ways of thinking. Convincing people to self-limit their own intellectual exploration invariably leads to ignorance.

Re: I find that to be a very dangerous mindset.

All mankind need know is in a book written 1800-2500 years ago.

+2

People that don't believe in God sure seem obsessed with Him. I don't need reminders about God, but they seem to keep searching for reasons to not believe. I don't try to convince them there is a God. I figure people will make up their own minds. Just as anti-God messages aren't going to change my faith, pro-God messages won't change them.

I prefer to respect a person's faith, or lack of one. If you want to worship a Spaghetti Monster, then good for you!

Here's what I don't get: why not just let it be a basic philosophy of life?

I have a ton a friends who are Christians... pastors even.

In many ways it is the moral backbone of Western civilization. It's not a bad philosophy or whatever. You don't have to believe Adam and Eve were the first two humans on Earth to lead a good way of life that adheres to Christian principles.

IMO, of course.

That's basically how I view it.....

there are a lot of good philosophies within Christianity. I like them and follow many of them. I don't ascribe them to a 'god' necessarily, but I don't think you need a 'god' to believe in them.

Here's what I don't get: why not just let it be a basic philosophy of life?

I have a ton a friends who are Christians... pastors even.

In many ways it is the moral backbone of Western civilization. It's not a bad philosophy or whatever. You don't have to believe Adam and Eve were the first two humans on Earth to lead a good way of life that adheres to Christian principles.

IMO, of course.

the 1st 5 Commandments are rubbish.

The 2nd five are basic decency.

And Jesus' overall message would be fine with me if the 1st five commandments weren't part of it.

Be nice, help others, especially the needy....be cool to your folks, wife, brother...materialism is unimportant...stuff like that is basic decency.

I would argue we don't get our morals from the Bible at all, though.....they've been evolving for thousands of years. Hell the past 250 years alone of revealed drastic changes in out colective morals...for most, anyway.

There are still places living like it's 1000 BC.

In other words, live with morals?

Yeah, good plan. The majority of the 10 commandments and golden rule are a pretty decent starting point on a moral code (first few are questionable, depending upon how much you believe in Jehovah).

This post was edited on 1/4 5:06 PM by Cream&Crimson

We're in the middle of yet another Holy War,

we've had over 2000 years of them. We have laws that are based on religious tribe think, and not logic, or fact. We have society armed with weapons that can destroy teh world and the most likely reason will be over the name of a mythical being. It's gotten beyond stupid and respect is not in anyway helping. I'm sorry, but religion is the stupidity of man on a global stage and should be treated as such. I'm way over it. It needs to end.

Sure.

Think of something better... get your name in a history book.
Aristotle_Bust_White_Background_Transparent.png

So many Fundamentalist Christians take the bible literally

including the idea that the human race started with a guy named Adam about 6000 years ago. I guess the concept of allegory just is over their head. Christian fundamentalism is a dangerous movement, primarily here in the US, and hopefully it will eventually run it's course.

T.M.P. ... with all due respect ... Man would find plenty

of reasons to wage war if no religion had ever existed. We are a selfish creature ... just a fact. We think we understand better than the next person ... we want more than what we have (generally speaking).

It is a highly unfortunate state we have ... I agree with you that "religion" has created many a fallacy and many a life has been lost over the degradation of man's desire to "control" religious thought. I fault most mainline faiths for that ... but I really do feel that man is capable of waging war over a multitude of reasons. So, for me, the notion that the removal religion (which is never going to happen by the way) would create less war is a bit misleading. It is likely only that the cause of the war would change.

I may be too cynical about man with this view ... but I still hold it.

I'm a big believer is laws based on logic as well ... I think anytime you take a "religion" and try to legalize it you create far more problems. This is not to say that there are laws with logic that overlap religious law ... I think you and I are seeing the same concerns here.

I appreciate your viewpoint ... I empathize with it even. Not that you would care per se, but the beating of a religious drum is a rather isolated way to live one's life.

Lawrence Krauss explains why that article is faulty.

Please note that I think Richard Dawkins is an arrogant ass. I'm not defending his particular brand of atheist evangelism by linking his website. His Foundation just happens to be the group who published Krauss' well-written response.

goat

WSJ Fallacy

a joke of an article that made the facebook rounds, is all.*

d
This post was edited on 1/4 8:03 PM by UTFO

ADVERTISEMENT