ADVERTISEMENT

GM cutting 15k jobs, may close 5 plants

Tariffs weren't mentioned a single time in that article. But, feel free to spread misinformation. Is that you Sarah Sanders?

Tariffs were not mentioned in that article, but they were mentioned in the article about GM trying to buyout employees in October. The deadline to accept a buyout was Nov 19. It could well be that *some* of this is due to not getting the buyout response they wanted.

In other articles I see their spokesman referred to tariffs as one of the headwinds GM faces. Tariffs aren't the cause, but they are certainly not helping.

Tariffs weren't mentioned a single time in that article. But, feel free to spread misinformation. Is that you Sarah Sanders?
True, tariffs were not mentioned. I did see another article that did note tariffs cost GM over 1BB in additional costs in various metals used as components. I have no idea how large of a factor that played, if any in this decision, but one would think if it adds to the cost of production it would factor in somewhere. Car, truck, SUV, whatever ya wanna call em....the new prices are out of control. I think I will drive mine for the for-seeable future.

Reactions: sglowrider
I have 2 98s and an 03, still recovering from Obama years before I look at anything new

I have 2 98s and an 03, still recovering from Obama years before I look at anything new
Interesting. Can you explain to me how the Obama years kept you from purchasing newer vehicles and how things are recovering now to a point where you will soon be able to make that purchase?

Just awful. Already struggling communities get hit even harder, while rich areas like NoVa and NYC get 25k high paying Amazon jobs.

You must have skipped everything, but go on loving your savior Obama he is gone and done
& who brought Obama into the conversation...oh, that would be you. Your obsession and delusions about the former president cloud your every thought.

Yes, he is gone, because he did win consecutive terms...you must have loved your cave then.

I would say you drive crap due to W, not Obama, or maybe it is that those rides just fit in better at the park. Can't say that I really care.

Interesting. Can you explain to me how the Obama years kept you from purchasing newer vehicles and how things are recovering now to a point where you will soon be able to make that purchase?

(Billy Bob Thornton voice in sling blade). Obama bad! Uhh-hmm. That’s the mental impression I get when I read his posts now. No substance, just that Obama is the root of all evil.

BTW, the economy was in absolute shambles when Obama took the reigns. The economy actually recovered nicely under Obama, and his last two years track very favorably with Trump’s first two years (almost two years now). And Obama did it in the last two years after growing for six- without an uneeded tax cut for the very wealthy.

I’m curious as to what Obama did that losses you off so badly. Specifically. Or was it just all the Fox News coverage, and chain emails?

Enlighten us. Please. Give us something. Anything.

Reactions: sglowrider
True, tariffs were not mentioned. I did see another article that did note tariffs cost GM over 1BB in additional costs in various metals used as components. I have no idea how large of a factor that played, if any in this decision, but one would think if it adds to the cost of production it would factor in somewhere. Car, truck, SUV, whatever ya wanna call em....the new prices are out of control. I think I will drive mine for the for-seeable future.

You aren't even attempting to think about this logically. Tariffs obviously are not going to help, but the extent to which they are causing GM to transform its business in a similar manner to what Ford already put into action is negligible. The bigger issue is the failure of GM, Chrysler and Ford to manufacture good quality cars (not SUVs or Pickups) profitably at a price point that consumers find warranted. They were unable to produce a Civic or Accord-style model like the Asian manufacturers or charge a premium for quality like the Europeans. So GM, just like Ford, is essentially abandoning cars for trucks, vans and SUVs.

Overall, car prices are increasing primarily because of technology. The cost of all of the new bells and whistles tacks on many thousands of dollars to a reasonable base price. And, even standard iterations of many models come with far more technology than you found in the mid-2000s.

newcarprice.jpg
IB-EPA-price-indices-chart-2-660.gif

On the plus side, at least GM is actually trying to take steps to remain a viable company after it was bailed out by the U.S. taxpayers, who lost $11+ billion on the transaction.

Taxpayers bailed them out once and i hope DT lets them fail and be done with them. You run your business into the ground taxpayers should not bail you out.

Do you really believe what you type? If you failed to make money in the Obama stock market you are one terrible investor. As in bad multiple years in a row when a chimp could pick winners.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Except he’s the most admired man in the world. Something Trump will never, ever be.
Because you admire him and the leftist few people that live on this board? Please tell me with facts to back it up as you like to say how he is the most admired man in the world? Define that and your world please?

& who brought Obama into the conversation...oh, that would be you. Your obsession and delusions about the former president cloud your every thought.

Yes, he is gone, because he did win consecutive terms...you must have loved your cave then.

I would say you drive crap due to W, not Obama, or maybe it is that those rides just fit in better at the park. Can't say that I really care.

If you don't care then why respond? The lefts every thought revolves around Obama and obsesses about it Why not admit it? I laugh everyday I wake up and know Trump is President and how much it obsesses people like you to have to deal with that fact

If you don't care then why respond? The lefts every thought revolves around Obama and obsesses about it Why not admit it? I laugh everyday I wake up and know Trump is President and how much it obsesses people like you to have to deal with that fact
I hope you enjoy laughing about this joke of a president. I also hope you can afford to replace your 98 with all your new found Trump wealth.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I hope you enjoy laughing about this joke of a president. I also hope you can afford to replace your 98 with all your new found Trump wealth.
The cry of the left we are for the people but yet we are so superior to everyone that doesn't think like me. If you vote my way, be the tired the hungry the poor. If you vote against my views you are just a horrible worthless person that lives in a trailer which I do not but please , carry on with your superiority its fun to see

With Trump's booming economy, you should be able to buy a new horse! Didn't he also give you a huge amount of money in a form of tax reduction? That' would be more productive than trashing the Kenyan man, who has been gone for 2 years.

Last edited:
You aren't even attempting to think about this logically. Tariffs obviously are not going to help, but the extent to which they are causing GM to transform its business in a similar manner to what Ford already put into action is negligible. The bigger issue is the failure of GM, Chrysler and Ford to manufacture good quality cars (not SUVs or Pickups) profitably at a price point that consumers find warranted. They were unable to produce a Civic or Accord-style model like the Asian manufacturers or charge a premium for quality like the Europeans. So GM, just like Ford, is essentially abandoning cars for trucks, vans and SUVs.

Overall, car prices are increasing primarily because of technology. The cost of all of the new bells and whistles tacks on many thousands of dollars to a reasonable base price. And, even standard iterations of many models come with far more technology than you found in the mid-2000s.

newcarprice.jpg
IB-EPA-price-indices-chart-2-660.gif

On the plus side, at least GM is actually trying to take steps to remain a viable company after it was bailed out by the U.S. taxpayers, who lost $11+ billion on the transaction.
I did not disagree with anything you said, so I have no idea what you think is illogical.

My first post was obviously snark, and a parody of what the moron in chief might be thinking because well, he is a moron.

My second post, which was a direct response to your post, was not disagreeing with anything you said. I only noted that GM noted that the tariffs have cost them 1BB or more in extra cost...so, that might have some impact. I did not say in any ways shape or form that tariffs were the primary driver of the layoffs. The auto industry is a changing and in some ways a dying industry as we currently know it. As people become more urban many young and older folks alike are going to one car, or in many cases for the younger generation ... no car. The prices are ridiculous and buying a "new" car is one of the dumbest purchases a person can make.

GM is actually being a bit of a nimble company.... proactively shutting down production of a losing product and focusing on profitable lines....something they didn't do a decade ago which led them to BK.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT