ADVERTISEMENT

Glass's statement...

h20pls

Senior
Jun 12, 2002
"After deliberative thought and evaluation, including multiple meetings with Tom about the future, I have decided to make a change in the leadership of our men’s basketball program. Tom Crean brought us through one of the most challenging periods in IU basketball history, led his players to many successes in the classroom and on the court and represented our university with class and integrity. While winning two outright Big Ten titles in five years and being named Big Ten Coach of the Year, Tom worked tirelessly to develop great young men and successful teams. However, ultimately, we seek more consistent, high levels of success, and we will not shy away from our expectations. Tom is a good man and a good coach and we owe him a great debt of gratitude for his many positive contributions to Indiana basketball. We wish him well.

The national search for our new coach begins immediately. The Board of Trustees and the President have expressly delegated to me the responsibility and authority for this search and hire. While I will not be establishing a formal search committee or advisory committee, I will consult with basketball experts from around the country and throughout the State of Indiana, including many former Indiana University basketball players. The expectations for Indiana University basketball are to perennially contend for and win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament, and win our next national championship—and more after that. We will identify and recruit a coach who will meet these expectations."

Emphasis is mine...I wonder how this impacts an Alford candidacy?

"After deliberative thought and evaluation, including multiple meetings with Tom about the future, I have decided to make a change in the leadership of our men’s basketball program. Tom Crean brought us through one of the most challenging periods in IU basketball history, led his players to many successes in the classroom and on the court and represented our university with class and integrity. While winning two outright Big Ten titles in five years and being named Big Ten Coach of the Year, Tom worked tirelessly to develop great young men and successful teams. However, ultimately, we seek more consistent, high levels of success, and we will not shy away from our expectations. Tom is a good man and a good coach and we owe him a great debt of gratitude for his many positive contributions to Indiana basketball. We wish him well.

The national search for our new coach begins immediately. The Board of Trustees and the President have expressly delegated to me the responsibility and authority for this search and hire. While I will not be establishing a formal search committee or advisory committee, I will consult with basketball experts from around the country and throughout the State of Indiana, including many former Indiana University basketball players. The expectations for Indiana University basketball are to perennially contend for and win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament, and win our next national championship—and more after that. We will identify and recruit a coach who will meet these expectations."

As one of our coaches used to say . . .I think he is in the mix.

As one of our coaches used to say . . .I think he is in the mix.

It would be strange if he wasn't, really.

I think we can and should do better than Alford. But, given some of the circumstances (such as the rocky relationship he apparently has with the Bruin Nation), I'd be surprised if he wasn't somewhere on our radar screen.

This sounds like Crean's obituary. I am sorry but this feel sorry stuff is rediculous. Crean makes more money in a day then I do in a year. He gets no sympathy from me.

Obviously I'm not an IU fan. With that said I respect your program and its history. What stuck out to me is when he said perennially go deep in the tournament and win your next NC. I know the crean years were rough at times. But to me, with IU's history, shouldnt expectations be to compete for the NC every year, not just go deep and win some B10 titles? Did I just take that the wrong way, or is your AD's expectations lower for what your storied program should be?

Obviously I'm not an IU fan. With that said I respect your program and its history. What stuck out to me is when he said perennially go deep in the tournament and win your next NC. I know the crean years were rough at times. But to me, with IU's history, shouldnt expectations be to compete for the NC every year, not just go deep and win some B10 titles? Did I just take that the wrong way, or is your AD's expectations lower for what your storied program should be?
We are not going to win the NC every year. Neither is UK. That's stupid, and to expect that is stupid.

He said to win our next NC, and more after that.

Not at all. I was just saying I understand your feelings that you don't feel sorry for CTC . . . even though I disagree it.
Thanks. Wasn't trying to be rude towards anybody just don't like how this article was written. I understand that Crean was a relentless worker but in todays world that means nothing.

We are not going to win the NC every year. Neither is UK. That's stupid, and to expect that is stupid.

Well obviously neither one of us are gonna win it every year! That goes without saying. But to expect to win it, or compete for it, is not a stupid expectation. I expect U.K. To compete for it every year, I could care less about conference titles. Maybe I didn't take it the wrong way, I have a hard time believing that a program like IU's don't have expectations to become a national contender every year again, so maybe it's just you!

I think you took it the wrong way.

An AD is not going to say our expectation is to win the NC every year. It would set an unrealistic bar. By saying deep runs into the tourney, he is saying the expectation is to compete for NC every year.

I think you took it the wrong way.

An AD is not going to say our expectation is to win the NC every year. It would set an unrealistic bar. By saying deep runs into the tourney, he is saying the expectation is to compete for NC every year.
That's kinda what I was thinking, just didn't know where obviously I don't follow that closely. You're right coming out and saying that does put a lot of pressure on a new coach. Like I said previously, good luck on the new coach, and hope for a renewed rivalry between us.

Actually...this entire post got hijacked for no good reason...I was very curious as to how this community thought Glass's stated approach would impact Alford's candidacy. Lot of passion. Gotta love it.

This sounds like Crean's obituary. I am sorry but this feel sorry stuff is rediculous. Crean makes more money in a day then I do in a year. He gets no sympathy from me.

I don't see this at all as Glass "feeling sorry" for Crean. He's the one that fired him. And what he said was true. Crean DID take a program that was decimated and turned it back into a respectable program. He should be commended for doing that. He was not the coach that would be able to get us past a Sweet 16, and so we move on. As we should. But just because he topped out as a Sweet 16 coach, doesn't mean that we should ignore his positive contributions as well.

Not on your back, just asked a basic question. How is one's paycheck relevant?
IMaybe your to sensitive and need to understand that I am only trying to contribute to the conversation and just because you don't find it relevant doesn't mean I don't.

I don't see this at all as Glass "feeling sorry" for Crean. He's the one that fired him. And what he said was true. Crean DID take a program that was decimated and turned it back into a respectable program. He should be commended for doing that. He was not the coach that would be able to get us past a Sweet 16, and so we move on. As we should. But just because he topped out as a Sweet 16 coach, doesn't mean that we should ignore his positive contributions as well.
I agree but Crean has been praised over and over again by this fan base and I am tired of hearing it. He got what he deserved.

I thought Glass said all the right things in his presser. Using Indiana people to make the decision and giving Indiana applicants an easier access to apply was interesting. I am going to update my resume. He must have heard about my consecutive 5th grade titles and the girl's middle school summer league championship.

I am confident that Tom Crean would have been fired at Marquette within a couple of years had he not landed at IU. With that in mind...he has instead been at IU for nine years....making a very good living over and above what he was making at Marquette. IU was very good to Tom Crean.....so that balances the books for bringing the program back from the grave. Crean is in pretty good shape after IU.

[QUOTE="iubud, post: 2099046, member: 4464". Using Indiana people to make the decision and giving Indiana applicants an easier access to apply was interesting. .[/QUOTE]

I read an article about an hour ago saying AD's across the country were laughing at Glass for being so naive for having that as part of his decision process if he truly is going for the "home run hire."

Dude nobody expects IU to win the Ncaa every year but everone expects alot more then what Crean offered. I think you should take your low expectations somewhere else because we are gonna be back and it might be to successful for you!

Not on your back, just asked a basic question. How is one's paycheck relevant?
It's actually extremely relevant. While I have a nest egg, it wouldn't last too long if I lost my job. Crean is set for life. He isn't facing catastrophic consequences and stress wondering how he is going to provide for his family.

Reactions: jaypay23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT