ADVERTISEMENT

Gingrich confesses

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Republicans want to make it harder to vote because easier voting helps Democrats. Maybe we can stop the charade that opposing mail voting, limiting early voting, preventing drop boxes, is anything but voter suppression

"Why is Georgia Secretary of State Raffensperger working so hard to add drop boxes and take other steps to make it harder for Republicans to win?" tweeted Gingrich, who represented Georgia in the House for 20 years. "Is he really that intimidated by Stacey Abrams?"

Republicans want to make it harder to vote because easier voting helps Democrats. Maybe we can stop the charade that opposing mail voting, limiting early voting, preventing drop boxes, is anything but voter suppression

"Why is Georgia Secretary of State Raffensperger working so hard to add drop boxes and take other steps to make it harder for Republicans to win?" tweeted Gingrich, who represented Georgia in the House for 20 years. "Is he really that intimidated by Stacey Abrams?"

Republicans have long said that with 1 in 5 votes from the black community they could maintain control. But at the presidential level the reality is more like 1 in 10. So yeah, anything you do to increase the black turnout hurts the Republican candidate. It is short sighted in the long run. Polls indicate that 46% of black Americans identify as moderate or conservative. In my opinion they should just pull the damn band-aid off fast. Insure that voting is easy and secure for everyone and force the Republican Party to deal with a black community that is actually open to many of their philosophies.

Reactions: UncleMark
I guess the cynical answer is as soon as the black community flips red, we'll see how easy it will be to register and vote in those communities.

It's not far fetched either.

The pubs have done a good job casting liberal dems as elite, snobby coastal elites.

The Bernie rise is obviously connecting with the working class and its not a guarantee that dems will be able to keep them, especially if the pubs can pivot the Trumpican movement and align it with Bernie's working force movement.

That divide is there and covid has exacerbated it, as I'd presume it's the liberal elites that are most vocal about lock downs, as they again aren't working with their hands and can easily adapt to working from home.

The working class is at a big risk with covid.

I can see the pubs reaching out to the working class to join the trumpicans after they get out of Trump rehab.

Republicans have long said that with 1 in 5 votes from the black community they could maintain control. But at the presidential level the reality is more like 1 in 10. So yeah, anything you do to increase the black turnout hurts the Republican candidate. It is short sighted in the long run. Polls indicate that 46% of black Americans identify as moderate or conservative. In my opinion they should just pull the damn band-aid off fast. Insure that voting is easy and secure for everyone and force the Republican Party to deal with a black community that is actually open to many of their philosophies.
they should just start black fox news and feed them a bunch of bullshit

I guess the cynical answer is as soon as the black community flips red, we'll see how easy it will be to register and vote in those communities.

It's not far fetched either.

The pubs have done a good job casting liberal dems as elite, snobby coastal elites.

The Bernie rise is obviously connecting with the working class and its not a guarantee that dems will be able to keep them, especially if the pubs can pivot the Trumpican movement and align it with Bernie's working force movement.

That divide is there and covid has exacerbated it, as I'd presume it's the liberal elites that are most vocal about lock downs, as they again aren't working with their hands and can easily adapt to working from home.

The working class is at a big risk with covid.

I can see the pubs reaching out to the working class to join the trumpicans after they get out of Trump rehab.
I think the GOP has a chicken-and-egg problem with black voters. There's no doubt that a lot of black voters would be interested in a lot of what the GOP has to offer, both economically and socially. Not entirely in either case, of course, but there's definitely ground to be gained by the GOP if they go for it.

But the GOP's obvious hostility to black voting is a huge roadblock. So the question is, does the GOP give ground hoping for gains in the future, or do they wait for the gains before they give ground? Someone has to make the first move.

Dems should keep an eye on this dynamic. It's too easy for the party to take the black vote for granted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT