ADVERTISEMENT

Gi'Bran Payne discusses why he picked IU

Good read. Pinching myself.

That article is in stark contrast to another article written that portrays IU as the last option because all the other offers dried up. His body caved in to injury making him an invalid RB and a big risk.
I guess we’ll find out. I like our chances.

I didn't realize he was injured last year. Possibly underrated then?

Being that he had an offer list of Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State.....the list goes on forever, I wouldn't say he is underrated but yeah, he could be better than even the rankings show. He played both RB and WR and although he's currently the size of a Reese Taylor, his style of play reminds me of David Ellis. He honestly could excel at both positions and we'll likely see him returning punts/kicks early on. Marcus Thigpen also comes to mind as this kid too is a sprinter.

As a RB:
Watching his video the things that stand out are his patience to allow the play to unfold.....but when he puts his foot into the ground he can absolutely go. So he will have the ability to outrun anyone on the field on any given play. He didn't seem to break or shed too many tackles due to his physical stature but his illusiveness should often make that a bit of a moot point. Also, he is built a bit like a sprinter and I expect his leg strength to be his golden goose so once Aaron Wellman gets ahold of him, I think he can turn those legs into a weapon against tacklers.

He also seems to have his pads too high in pass protection but good coaching can improve that pretty quickly.

As a WR:
He showed the ability to handle the short, intermediate and deep routes considerably well. He ran right past defenders on multiple deep plays, could get wide open on possession plays and of course with players like him, exceled at taking screen passes and making big plays out of them. It's hard to say whether or not his hands are great because in all my years I've yet to see a highlight reel that includes dropped passes.

Obviously a lot can happen with the roster between this season and next; however, like Reese Taylor early on, this kid has a lot of offensive tools so coach will find a way to get him on the field in some capacity in 2022.

That article is in stark contrast to another article written that portrays IU as the last option because all the other offers dried up. His body caved in to injury making him an invalid RB and a big risk.
I guess we’ll find out. I like our chances.
So I've read he was injured with a high ankle sprain. Then another article said it was a wrist. ?? I do know he was 2nd team all catholic league last year and the year before and on the D-1 state champion 4x100m team.

One coach making a huge difference. D Mac is in his own league. This recruit highlights it. Recruits and parents know it. If IU can block, we can become a great place for high potential backs. Very exciting. Go Hoosiers!
If we can't block this year, it's time to get a new OL coach. The fact is that if Hiller can't get five good blockers to play effectively together this season, he should be replaced. The running game and pass blocking ineptitude the last two years do not speak too well for Hiller. The stats indicate he is either someone who can't effectively recruit good OL talent or develop the talent he does recruit or both.

Penix hid a lot of the pass blocking issues because he has such a quick release and such good pressure awareness. But the pass blocking was atrocious, particularly against OSU and PSU. The only way for IU to even out the talent differential against the traditional powerhouse teams is with outstanding QB play. That can't happen if the QB is running for his life or has to get the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds. Justin Fields looked great last year, but he looked great, particularly on deep pass patterns and long throws, because he had time to wait for a play to develop. Penix never had that luxury, he had to get the ball out quickly. Fields also had a great running game so teams couldn't just defend the pass. Penix didn't have that threat either. For Penix to be his most effective and for IU to be able to knock off the powerhouses, he needs protection and the threat of a running game.

The run game was never really effective until IU built up a lead and then, magically, the run game took over. But even that was in only a few games. A lot of Stevie Scott yards came without any blocking or any holes. D McC can be the greatest RB coach in history and he can recruit the greatest RB talent in the nation, but if the line doesn't get much, much better it won't matter.

If IU can solve the line issues this will be a very special year. I hope with Spring practice and Summer workouts we see all areas playing at their best and create a season for Hoosier fans to remember.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
If we can't block this year, it's time to get a new OL coach. The fact is that if Hiller can't get five good blockers to play effectively together this season, he should be replaced. The running game and pass blocking ineptitude the last two years do not speak too well for Hiller. The stats indicate he is either someone who can't effectively recruit good OL talent or develop the talent he does recruit or both.

Penix hid a lot of the pass blocking issues because he has such a quick release and such good pressure awareness. But the pass blocking was atrocious, particularly against OSU and PSU. The only way for IU to even out the talent differential against the traditional powerhouse teams is with outstanding QB play. That can't happen if the QB is running for his life or has to get the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds. Justin Fields looked great last year, but he looked great, particularly on deep pass patterns and long throws, because he had time to wait for a play to develop. Penix never had that luxury, he had to get the ball out quickly. Fields also had a great running game so teams couldn't just defend the pass. Penix didn't have that threat either. For Penix to be his most effective and for IU to be able to knock off the powerhouses, he needs protection and the threat of a running game.

The run game was never really effective until IU built up a lead and then, magically, the run game took over. But even that was in only a few games. A lot of Stevie Scott yards came without any blocking or any holes. D McC can be the greatest RB coach in history and he can recruit the greatest RB talent in the nation, but if the line doesn't get much, much better it won't matter.
Ther is just so much wrong with what is said in this article. First off IU led the BIG in fewest sacks allowed this past season. Secondly when people talk about a quarterbacks quick release they are not talking about his reading of defenses, they are talking about how quickly the ball leaves his hands once he makes his mind up to throw the ball and starts to his motion.
As far as the run game it was not good. It was very vanilla last year and I believe a lot of reason was that with lack of full spring and fall practice an emphasis was placed on protecting Penix. It takes a lot of time to develop an excellent offensive line unless you are Bama or Clemson and you have the pick of the top o linemen in the country every year. I think it says a lot that we have put an o lineman in the NFL each year Hiller has been here. Als if you really break down run game there were 2 very glaring problems last year number one was Hendershoy was not really on his game he missed a bunch of blocks that were key. It really is not what he is in there for I understand it is his athleticm and hands although he did not a great year in that area either as he had many drops. Secondly was not not having Penix keep the ball in the read option that is what keeps the backside end honest and not allow him to be an extra guy in run defense. So now you don’t run read option and tight end misses block you run read option and an not a threat. You have two backs whose strength is running downhill in Scott and James so you are kind of limo to read option and inside zone and other inside stuff. We did do a good job of running boots off the inside zone fake. I think that you will see some more outside stuff with Carr and other backs as we have recruited guys that are more versatile but we still have James to be an inside threat.
I do agree that IU has to become more imaginative in the run game and can’t just try to pound it between the tackles. We will not be effective for sure. I do have faith in Sheridan and now DMc and Hiller and Heard to get this o untracked. I do also buy into you the Bill Walsh philosophy that you can be throw first to set up the run kind of offense with Penix in charge.

Ther is just so much wrong with what is said in this article. First off IU led the BIG in fewest sacks allowed this past season. Secondly when people talk about a quarterbacks quick release they are not talking about his reading of defenses, they are talking about how quickly the ball leaves his hands once he makes his mind up to throw the ball and starts to his motion.
As far as the run game it was not good. It was very vanilla last year and I believe a lot of reason was that with lack of full spring and fall practice an emphasis was placed on protecting Penix. It takes a lot of time to develop an excellent offensive line unless you are Bama or Clemson and you have the pick of the top o linemen in the country every year. I think it says a lot that we have put an o lineman in the NFL each year Hiller has been here. Als if you really break down run game there were 2 very glaring problems last year number one was Hendershoy was not really on his game he missed a bunch of blocks that were key. It really is not what he is in there for I understand it is his athleticm and hands although he did not a great year in that area either as he had many drops. Secondly was not not having Penix keep the ball in the read option that is what keeps the backside end honest and not allow him to be an extra guy in run defense. So now you don’t run read option and tight end misses block you run read option and an not a threat. You have two backs whose strength is running downhill in Scott and James so you are kind of limo to read option and inside zone and other inside stuff. We did do a good job of running boots off the inside zone fake. I think that you will see some more outside stuff with Carr and other backs as we have recruited guys that are more versatile but we still have James to be an inside threat.
I do agree that IU has to become more imaginative in the run game and can’t just try to pound it between the tackles. We will not be effective for sure. I do have faith in Sheridan and now DMc and Hiller and Heard to get this o untracked. I do also buy into you the Bill Walsh philosophy that you can be throw first to set up the run kind of offense with Penix in charge.

The real problem is people use the term loosely. What you are referring to is truly the "Trigger Time" but often you will find people calling that the "Release Time" or "Quick Release Time". Meanwhile, other people use "QRT" strictly as the method to account for the average time the QB has the ball on a passing play from the time the center snaps the ball until the time the QB releases the ball.

So if they're using the timing from snap to pass then you would definitely imply the QB can impact the sack numbers greatly. The really good NFL QB's are south of 2.65. Peyton in 2013 was at 2.33. When an O-Line is not very good, the O-Coordinator who knows what he's doing will incorporate more short/intermediate routes in the game plan to help mitigate the opportunities for sacks because the QB can get rid of it fast and thereby manufacture lower QRT's. How you run your offense can impact the results of those timings.

QB Quick Release Review

Peyton Manning's Release Info

Reactions: vesuvius13
The real problem is people use the term loosely. What you are referring to is truly the "Trigger Time" but often you will find people calling that the "Release Time" or "Quick Release Time". Meanwhile, other people use "QRT" strictly as the method to account for the average time the QB has the ball on a passing play from the time the center snaps the ball until the time the QB releases the ball.

So if they're using the timing from snap to pass then you would definitely imply the QB can impact the sack numbers greatly. The really good NFL QB's are south of 2.65. Peyton in 2013 was at 2.33. When an O-Line is not very good, the O-Coordinator who knows what he's doing will incorporate more short/intermediate routes in the game plan to help mitigate the opportunities for sacks because the QB can get rid of it fast and thereby manufacture lower QRT's. How you run your offense can impact the results of those timings.

QB Quick Release Review

Peyton Manning's Release Info
Ok so I guess I am wrong if you are talking about quick release time as opposed to quick release which I was referencing. I can honestly say I had never heard quick release time only quick release. My bad but I would love to see Penix qrt. I think that he holds onto the ball longer than Ramsey. But could be wrong on that I did see Ramsey was 2.33 in 2013. That is damn fast according to articles.

Ok so I guess I am wrong if you are talking about quick release time as opposed to quick release which I was referencing. I can honestly say I had never heard quick release time only quick release. My bad but I would love to see Penix qrt. I think that he holds onto the ball longer than Ramsey. But could be wrong on that I did see Ramsey was 2.33 in 2013. That is damn fast according to articles.
Yeah, that makes sense. Just goes to show how many metrics are out and available now-a-days. Who knows.

Penix was under pressure quite often last year and still was able to make plays both downfield and with his legs. He kept defenses from being able to assume pressure from any direction would result in the same end result (tuck it and run or look up field and throw it right away). I do think some of our guys weren't really in peak playing shape last year so its possible they are this year and Penix has time to sit back there more frequently. The real question will be, if Penix does have all day in the pocket with the weapons at his disposal, how good can this team truly be?

ADVERTISEMENT