ADVERTISEMENT

Get woke and go broke

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
I don't know if "irony" is the proper word here. But it's at least interesting that within days after Nike announces it's new line of Kaepernick clothes, one of its shoes falls apart and injures the best college player, the likely #1 NBA draft choice, while on national TV, in the biggest college game of the year.

I would think Nike might pay more attention to shoe design specs and quality control in the manufacturing process than it does to being woke. But that's just me.

Let's hope Zion isn't too badly injured. Otherwise, I see a H U G E product's liability claim here.

Nike surely doesn't haven't the resources to design shoes that don't blow up AND run the Kaepernick campaign.

It has to be either or right?

Nike surely doesn't haven't the resources to design shoes that don't blow up AND run the Kaepernick campaign.

It has to be either or right?

Beats me. But if I were suing Nike over this shoe, I would investigate the resources actually budgeted for quality control of this shoe as compared to the budget requests for quality control.

I don't know if "irony" is the proper word here. But it's at least interesting that within days after Nike announces it's new line of Kaepernick clothes, one of its shoes falls apart and injures the best college player, the likely #1 NBA draft choice, while on national TV, in the biggest college game of the year.

I would think Nike might pay more attention to shoe design specs and quality control in the manufacturing process than it does to being woke. But that's just me.

Let's hope Zion isn't too badly injured. Otherwise, I see a H U G E product's liability claim here.
It takes a pretty small person to enjoy the schadenfreude of a kid being injured by a Nike shoe.

Lol, leave it to you the resident trump troll to tie a shoe malfunction to Kapernick....f f s get a life.

It is tied to Kaepernick isn't it? Nike has made a business judgment that Kaepernick support will yield more revenue than its costs. Yet all the Kaepernick benefit can be blown away by one blown out shoe. Nike's core business is and remains its shoes, not its Kaepernick jerseys.

It takes a pretty small person to enjoy the schadenfreude of a kid being injured by a Nike shoe.

Wrong again sport. I feel sorry for the kid and pointed out that Nike should compensate him for his injury and losses.

If anything this will be a financial boon for both Zion and whomever he signs his shoe contract with. Imagine the marketing around how said shoe brand makes a shoe that even Zion can't break. The possibilities are nearly endless. And injury or no, he's still a lock for the #1 pick.

And Nike's quality control efforts have zero to do with their positions on social issues. Come on...

Reactions: meridian
Are you this daft that you don’t think the Marketing Department has absolutely nothing at all to do with the Quality Department?

Take potshots at Nike all you want from your tandem bike but at least make them coherent.

Like most new stories, I'm not sure we know much at this point. Has anyone heard how old the shoe was, for example?

I am a little doubtful the marketing team has much control over the product quality however.

Nike may well be to blame for this, but QC is difficult. I mean just look at all the auto/food recalls that happen very frequently (and now blood pressure medicine too). All those things escaped out of the factory floor with a defect. I imagine there is some sort of glue/thread combo that holds the shoe top to the soles. I doubt there is a good way to perfectly measure the amount of glue and the number of threads.

It is tied to Kaepernick isn't it? Nike has made a business judgment that Kaepernick support will yield more revenue than its costs. Yet all the Kaepernick benefit can be blown away by one blown out shoe. Nike's core business is and remains its shoes, not its Kaepernick jerseys.

Do you have the tiniest shred of evidence that the kap clothing had anything to do with the shoe problem or is this just another emotional reaction from you?

Do you have the tiniest shred of evidence that the kap clothing had anything to do with the shoe problem or is this just another emotional reaction from you?

Of course not. But that's one of the things I'd look in to. And yeah, products liability cases against fat cats like Nike are always mostly about emotion. Ask McDonalds about this.

LOL.....this is quite a very, very long reach.

ok, let me rephrase then for you. Nike's quality control issues have nothing, zero, nada, to do with their decision to use Kap in their advertising.

It might if Nike decided to limit quality control spending while promoting Kaepernick jerseys. If Nike doesn't understand the comparative risk of injury involved here with their products a jury might send them that message.

It might if Nike decided to limit quality control spending while promoting Kaepernick jerseys. If Nike doesn't understand the comparative risk of injury involved here with their products a jury might send them that message.

Nike has had a huge marketing budget for decades. If they weren't spending it upon the Kap line, it would be something else. It's a company with $35b in sales/yr. Your argument holds zero water.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
That makes zero sense. Do you really think Nike is so strapped for cash that they would have to cannibalize their quality/manufacturing budget to support a product launch like a jersey? That's ridiculous. You're grasping for straws. There is nothing to see here.

Are you this daft that you don’t think the Marketing Department has absolutely nothing at all to do with the Quality Department?

Take potshots at Nike all you want from your tandem bike but at least make them coherent.

I guess you won't be picked for Zion's jury. ;) If Nike skimped on quality control, (and we don't know this yet) those savings go somewhere. As I said, Nike's bread and butter are its shoes. Not Kaepernick jerseys.

I guess you won't be picked for Zion's jury. ;) If Nike skimped on quality control, (and we don't know this yet) those savings go somewhere. As I said, Nike's bread and butter are its shoes. Not Kaepernick jerseys.
There won't be a Zion jury.

Nike has had a huge marketing budget for decades. If they weren't spending it upon the Kap line, it would be something else. It's a company with $35b in sales/yr. Your argument holds zero water.

The issue is not about the marketing budget. The issue is the quality control budget and maybe also its product design resources. We don't know why the shoe fell apart, but I think Nike is in deep doodoo if it skimped one iota either on QC or design. We hear rumors all the time about Nike taking advantage of cheap overseas labor, including chile labor. What if the evidence shows they changed manufacturing just to save a buck? Shoes being its core business suggests to me that safety of the product is priority #1.

That makes zero sense. Do you really think Nike is so strapped for cash that they would have to cannibalize their quality/manufacturing budget to support a product launch like a jersey? That's ridiculous. You're grasping for straws. There is nothing to see here.

All spending by anybody or any entity is prioritized. Corporate America is full of examples where billion dollar corporations will save a few cents or a buck or two per unit whenever they can. The money saved goes somewhere and if the jury decides that Nike increased the risk by not spending on shoe quality, it's Katie bar the door.

All spending by anybody or any entity is prioritized. Corporate America is full of examples where billion dollar corporations will save a few cents or a buck or two per unit whenever they can. The money saved goes somewhere and if the jury decides that Nike increased the risk by not spending on shoe quality, it's Katie bar the door.
First, that's a different point than the question of whether Nike shifted budget from manufacturing to marketing to pay for the Kapernick launch, which is absurd.

Second, I'll say it again, there won't be a Zion jury. This will never go that far. We don't know the nature of the malfunction in the shoe yet. Even if it was clearly a flaw in the design or manufacturing of the shoe, it won't go to court. Both parties have too much to gain by not allowing that to happen. Zion is a golden goose for Nike or whoever he signs with. This can be spun in a positive way, and it will be.

Only in your mind, but you have shown the propensity to rationalize pretty much anything to fit your delusional narratives.

Reactions: Circlejoe
Sure. Obviously your point was concern for the kid. Right.

Right. The kid works hard, practices, stays in shape and all the rest of it. Being an elite athlete is not a walk in the park. All of that effort is put at risk by a product that should never have failed. And I do hope the kid isn't seriously injured.

That’s special. It really is.

LOL. If I said we should tax the shit out Nike and other big corps, you'd be all over that while enjoying schadenfreude. But when I suggest big corp should pay for products that fail when they shouldn't fail, you act like I'm glad the kid got hurt. Sigh.

Only in your mind, but you have shown the propensity to rationalize pretty much anything to fit your delusional narratives.

I don't know about the "delusional" part (you'll need to ask my stoker about that one) but yeah I do have the propensity to rationalize according to my biases. That's human nature and every human being on the planet does it. See Nicholas Sandmann who will likely become very wealthy because of scores liberal idiots who are much better at that sort of thing than I will ever be.

LOL. If I said we should tax the shit out Nike and other big corps, you'd be all over that while enjoying schadenfreude. But when I suggest big corp should pay for products that fail when they shouldn't fail, you act like I'm glad the kid got hurt. Sigh.
Look, over there!

Delete this thread. You’re better than this.

Hm. I don't understand how the point can be made better. Within days of Nike's announcment about another Kaepernick marketing effort, one of its shoes falls apart in the most visible manner possible and injures the best college player in the game*. If there is a scintilla of evidence that Nike skimped on the design, manufature, or QC of this shoe, Nike has a big problem. And I can pretty much guarantee that there will be evidence of skimping. The next question is what was the spending priority? Bonuses for those who already make 10's of millions of dollars? Shareholders? Celebrities? Private jets? None of it is in Nike's favor and Kaepernick adds to the problem.

Dz5ntDEXgAEp3Tm.jpg

*This defective shoe could have been delivered to a Division III nobody bench player . . . . .but no . . . . . .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT