ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia

The point is that if the election were tomorrow that poll would be off by at least 10 points. Guaranteed.

I do not think Biden would possibly win by 3 today:).

Nationally, the late vote broke heavy for Trump in 2016. Some of that Indiana number from 16 is probably that late vote.

I do not think Biden would possibly win by 3 today:).

Nationally, the late vote broke heavy for Trump in 2016. Some of that Indiana number from 16 is probably that late vote.
DBM also pulled those numbers out of his ass. There was very little late polling in Indiana, and Trump was up by double digits in all of it. He won by 19. The polls accurately picked up a huge shift toward Trump during the last month - WTHR went from Trump +5 to +11 from the beginning of October to the beginning of November. Of course, they still missed by 8 points, but a good chunk of that is almost certainly the rest of that late movement that didn't happen until the final week.

DBM also pulled those numbers out of his ass. There was very little late polling in Indiana, and Trump was up by double digits in all of it. He won by 19. The polls accurately picked up a huge shift toward Trump during the last month - WTHR went from Trump +5 to +11 from the beginning of October to the beginning of November. Of course, they still missed by 8 points, but a good chunk of that is almost certainly the rest of that late movement that didn't happen until the final week.

There were 3 polls right before the election. They were off by 8-9.

There were 3 polls right before the election. They were off by 8-9.

Yeah, I know. I was talking about them. You, on the other hand, claimed there were several polls that only showed Trump up 9 from "right before the election." Not only were your numbers inaccurate, but I don't think a week before election day qualifies as "right before the election" when there is strong evidence that Trump made major gains in the Midwest during the last few days before Election Day.

I know the demographics have changed a little for the district but wouldn't this normally be a district where the Republican would be the favorite?
I'm curious to see if McCormick has better results than Trump does in the district.
Yes, traditionally GA-7 has been reliably a GOP district. That's changing, though, as the area has been changing demographically (as you noted) drastically over the last 30 years.

What will be interesting is whether the significant influx of Hispanics into Gwinnett changes the voting dynamics significantly to move the district to the Democratic column or save the GOP's arse there.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Reactions: outside shooter
She's the richest senator, currently, and she campaigns in tight jeans and checkered shirts (red and white/blue and white). She's just acting . . . a pretender . . . .
She was appointed, right? Never has actually won an election?

They make sure they live in a box when it comes to trump so that they can claim that they have heard nothing, seen nothing. Ignorance is their defense.

What's amazing to me is how narrow the EC map has gotten for the GOP. So many swing states from 15-20 years ago are not even really contestable, and are comfortably blue (VA, CO, NM, NH)

Missouri is the only state that's gone the opposite direction.... from a bellwether swing state to steadily red.

Now we are debating places like GA, NC and TX.... that's very dubious. I continue to believe that the GOP is heading towards a long winter when it comes to Presidential politics, the detour of 2016 being put aside. The map is simply a disaster for them.... and requires hitting an inside straight to win. Certainly not impossible, but need basically everything to align.

Obviously the Texas situation is a death blow in the EC if it were to ever come to pass.
The problem with both sides is that when they win pretty convincingly they come in all cocky and think they have the green light to do anything they want to when, in fact, most of the time it's a vote against the other party and not a vote in favor of their policies. I remember when Obama won the first time a lot of people were saying the Republican party is dead. However, it's amazing how each party can screw up and get the other party elected. The Republicans do the same thing.... really pretty stupid.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
She's richer than Mitt?
She and her husband own stock exchanges, including the New York Stock Exchange. Yes, she's richer than Romney . . . by far. She's even richer than McConnell . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_members_of_the_United_States_Congress_by_wealth

Georgia scuttlebutt . . . from AJC's The Jolt . . .

The problem with both sides is that when they win pretty convincingly they come in all cocky and think they have the green light to do anything they want to when, in fact, most of the time it's a vote against the other party and not a vote in favor of their policies. I remember when Obama won the first time a lot of people were saying the Republican party is dead. However, it's amazing how each party can screw up and get the other party elected. The Republicans do the same thing.... really pretty stupid.

Yeah both parties need to stop with the "We have a mandate" nonsense. No you do not, in fact most of us think you're jokes but had to vote somebody.

As far as Georgia. If/when Biden loses are Democrats just going to pretend like he won a la Stacey Abrams?

Last edited:
Reactions: NPT
Yeah both parties need to stop with the "We have a mandate" nonsense. No you do not, in fact most of us think you're jokes but had to vote somebody.

As far as Georgia. If/when Biden loses a Democrats just going to pretend like he won a la Stacey Abrams?
That's a great question. How many liberals will accept the results of the 2020 election if Trump wins?

aeb4d945648629.5837b65ff4037.gif

Hay @Sope Creek You know Georgia better than the rest of us. How do you see Perdue's implosion playing out in the final few days?
Beats me . . . if I had to guess, I'd be wondering out loud what effect Perdue's withdrawal from the debate might have on turnout. It might give those in favor of Ossoff reason to relax a bit, and not get out the final push for turnout, and it might cause those who support Perdue to give his candidacy - and the Trump movement - the last hurrah.

Perdue is the brother of a very popular former governor here, Sonny Perdue, who is Trump's Secretary of Agriculture. That single fact probably gives the most guidance I can offer. Perdue's candidacy is tightly tied to Trump . . . although his ads don't say that.

My tendency - pure speculation - is to think that Perdue's joining Trump at a rally in Rome, GA is both a white flag - for the election - and a St. Andrews cross flag - indicating the intent that the Trump insurrection lives on. Rome is deep into Marjorie Taylor Greene's soon-to-be district.

Beats me . . . if I had to guess, I'd be wondering out loud what effect Perdue's withdrawal from the debate might have on turnout. It might give those in favor of Ossoff reason to relax a bit, and not get out the final push for turnout, and it might cause those who support Perdue to give his candidacy - and the Trump movement - the last hurrah.

Perdue is the brother of a very popular former governor here, Sonny Perdue, who is Trump's Secretary of Agriculture. That single fact probably gives the most guidance I can offer. Perdue's candidacy is tightly tied to Trump . . . although his ads don't say that.

My tendency - pure speculation - is to think that Perdue's joining Trump at a rally in Rome, GA is both a white flag - for the election - and a St. Andrews cross flag - indicating the intent that the Trump insurrection lives on. Rome is deep into Marjorie Taylor Greene's soon-to-be district.

Addendum #1 . . . it might be worth asking what effect that Zeta might have on Georgia's turnout. Some polls couldn't open yesterday, and for some residents cleaning up or getting resettled might be a priority. We had at least 3 are deaths from trees falling on homes, and power is out for a whole bunch of folks . . . SopeJr#2house is without power through today and maybe tomorrow. 350,000 were without power at last count.

Last edited:
Reactions: iuwclurker

Addendum #2: 538 has Perdue winning 58 in 100 opportunities. That tells me that Perdue saw no reason to give Ossoff a shot at making up any ground between now and election day, and that's why he pulled out of the final debate on Sunday.

Addendum #1 . . . it might be worth asking what effect that Zeta might have on Georgia's turnout. Some polls couldn't open yesterday, and for some residents cleaning up or getting resettled might be a priority. We had at least 3 are deaths from trees falling on homes, and power is out for a whole bunch of folks . . . SopeJr#2house is without power through today and maybe tomorrow. 350,000 were without power at last count.

So, do conservative operatives control where and when power is restored?

So, do conservative operatives control where and when power is restored?
Utilities' crews determine where and when power is restored. SopeJr#2 lives in a distinctly pro-Trump area. We do too . . . we have power and SopeJr#2 does not. Getting power restored is purely a function of crew availability and how many trees have been downed in the various areas.

As far as Georgia. If/when Biden loses are Democrats just going to pretend like he won a la Stacey Abrams?

Great question....

ADVERTISEMENT