ADVERTISEMENT

General question for our recruiting/transfer experts on the board

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Is our roster full for next year at this point?

I keep seeing high profile transfer news. And while I love our team heading into next year, it’s still kinda surprising/disappointing that IU isn’t getting ANY of these good transfers.

I would have thought with how big of a story Allen and the whole LEO culture has been, that we’d have kids beating down our doors to be a part of it? No room?

I think everyone is given a free year due to covid. Technically we could have everyone back plus our recruiting class.

I'm pretty sure our recruiting class was full or at least close to it without the covid rule changes.

Not sure how they are addressing scholarship numbers with teams already having recruiting classes coming in so guess I'm not much help but I'm guessing we are full or close to it.

Last edited:
I think everyone is given a free year from covid.

Not sure how they are addressing scholarship numbers with teams already having recruiting classes coming in so guess I'm not much help.

I'm pretty sure our recruiting class was full or at least close to it without the covid rule changes.

Current players in what should have been their last year of eligibility that decide to take the extra year won’t count against the limit of 85 scholarships in 2021. So no issues with the incoming class.
2022 is when the extra year will start complicating the scholarship availability

I'm not concerned. There was such a small class of players scheduled to leave at the end of this season to begin with. Not all will be back (Fryfogle for example would be a pretty strong guess to go to the NFL). And there will be some level of attrition amongst the underclassmen looking to get a shot at PT somewhere else.

My bigger question, as it relates to recruiting, is what do they do with the starting underclassmen this year. Like, do Bedford & Mullen return as "true" sophomores again? Do Jack & Penix both return as RS-So? If they do that can jumble up the class sizes/distributions at various positions and may negatively impact ability to recruit certain positions. If there's any saving grace, it's that every other school in the country will be dealing with the same issue.

CTA said we have room for a couple more players in the second signing period during his press conference on signing day.

This staff knows what kind of player it wants. He will have to fit both on and off the field. They won't go after someone just because he had a lot of stars behind his name.

If I were to guess, I think we're looking at both sides of the line (probably at end on defense and then a swing guy on offense) and then BPA. During a interview, Malachi Bennett, the receiver from Alabama, said we told him we're keeping a spot for him if he wants to come, so that's why I said BPA. But this is recruiting, so that could change tomorrow.

The classification of players is a mess that I don't have a handle on. I focus on players more and what they will do based on their situation. Their situation - family needs, education desire, personal/team goals, etc will determine who stays.

Do transfers that are using their extra year count toward the 85 limit? I would think that this situation would be great for a team like Rutgers. Rather than bringing in Juco's for a quick fix, they can bring in 5th or 6th year seniors.

Also, can grad transfers transfer again? Theoretically, could Peyton Ramsey transfer to another school? The free agency period this winter is going to be off the rails. There will be at least two years of grad transfers out there.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I keep seeing high profile transfer news. And while I love our team heading into next year, it’s still kinda surprising/disappointing that IU isn’t getting ANY of these good transfers.

I would have thought with how big of a story Allen and the whole LEO culture has been, that we’d have kids beating down our doors to be a part of it? No room?
When you say IU isn’t getting any high profile transfers you must be forgetting about the WR Mathews from Florida State.

Not gonna lie, I don't want to make a living off of transfers (grad or otherwise). CTA has created a culture and locker room that is a tight knit family. That is not a boat I want to rock.

Yes, I am fully aware we have successfully used 3 transfers this season.

Not gonna lie, I don't want to make a living off of transfers (grad or otherwise). CTA has created a culture and locker room that is a tight knit family. That is not a boat I want to rock.

I doubt that will become a problem here. TA and friends will vet them meticulously and that combined with the fact that it's tougher academically to transfer here than a lot of other schools should weed out the problem children...I don't think bringing in 2 or 3 a year will ever become a major problem... Just my take...

I'll trust CTA to use his judgment on normal transfers to not chase just chase *s.

I think grad transfers will skew toward kids that are going to buy in. I'm sure there are easier graduate school majors out there, but, speaking for myself, it sucked. Reading 3-4 books (or equivalent) each week. 3 hour night classes. Even though only doing 9 credit hours is nice, it's a TON of work. Long story short, I have to think that grad transfers are more likely to be driven kids & smarter than the average bear about knowing what they're working toward and be more apt to buy into the culture.

Well.... we already have a transfer WR from Fla St. Have some patience.... we may pick up one or two more if that player is the right fit.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
It was a very small sr. class and all spots were pretty much taken by the end of the summer. You always have some guys opt to quit, transfer, or leave early so I expect a few openings will come up that Tom can fill very strategically.

Reactions: red hornet
Do transfers that are using their extra year count toward the 85 limit? I would think that this situation would be great for a team like Rutgers. Rather than bringing in Juco's for a quick fix, they can bring in 5th or 6th year seniors.

Also, can grad transfers transfer again? Theoretically, could Peyton Ramsey transfer to another school? The free agency period this winter is going to be off the rails. There will be at least two years of grad transfers out there.
This is a great question and I have seen no info on it. That’s surprising given the potential impact it could have! The 85 limit applies to non seniors only so the real question I think is can a player use their 5th year at a different school? Ie can you replace a non returning sr. with a transfer in ‘21?

Update: I spent some time looking through ncaa faqs on it. There is a lot of jargon and legalese but I THINK based on what I read players can transfer for their 5th year.

If so, CTA could have some tough decisions to make! It’s important to note that eligibility does not guarantee a scholarship. There is no requirement that IU furnish 5 yr returning players (in any year) financial aide. The rules have been flexed on how scholarships are financed within the university, but decisions on if/which returning or transferring players get financial aide lies with the school.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT