ADVERTISEMENT

General Manager?

mk30

Sophomore
Mar 26, 2022
I’m clearly too old school to understand this. Can someone enlighten me on this new guy’s responsibilities? I mean, I’m all for getting CTA all the help possible, but I didn’t know this was actually a thing.

He does NIL and helps with recruiting [not on the road] which he improves recruiting and money for the NIL for FB. I hope he can really boost the number for players and incoming players. At other places he has improve recruiting which improves the team.

He does NIL and helps with recruiting [not on the road] which he improves recruiting and money for the NIL for FB. I hope he can really boost the number for players and incoming players. At other places he has improve recruiting which improves the team.
Sounds like the kind of guy coaches used to keep in the shadows. Now we're not just bringing them into the light, we're giving them fancy titles and business cards. Cool.

If they follow the blueprint by other schools he is much more. His role will become recruiting director, which will identify potential recruits and also players in the portal. He will make first contact and stay on the recruits. Mark Pantoni at OSU is considered the best in the country. He started his role at Florida and followed Meyer to OSU. He’s considered the most valuable staff member to both Meyer and Day. Pantoni has his own staff that focuses on those things.

If used right, this is actually a huge hire. It gives coaches time to coach.

If they follow the blueprint by other schools he is much more. His role will become recruiting director, which will identify potential recruits and also players in the portal. He will make first contact and stay on the recruits. Mark Pantoni at OSU is considered the best in the country. He started his role at Florida and followed Meyer to OSU. He’s considered the most valuable staff member to both Meyer and Day. Pantoni has his own staff that focuses on those things.

If used right, this is actually a huge hire. It gives coaches time to coach.

Thanks for the post. I never heard of the guy

In tbe old days, this position had other titles. Some would call them “bag men.” Another popular title was “World Wide Wes.”
Miami “The U” installed the position title and called it “Nevin Shapiro.”

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk30
So he does all sports?
Probably concentrates on the more televised sports like men and ladies basketball and football?

I wonder why. More money, family there, better weathrt?
I just dont want it to be due to something that is a problem with our program.
Can't say for sure, but he is from Mississippi and much of his experience prior to coming to IU was with schools in that state.

Reactions: red hornet
So he does all sports?
Probably concentrates on the more televised sports like men and ladies basketball and football?

No, he'll just oversee all things in general... generally speaking.

He's not general manager.

He's assistant AD for for recruiting according to the official Indiana Twitter account
As Assistant AD, does he report directly to Dolson or CTA? By title alone, it is a different position than Wilbanks old role. Navigating NIL, and whatever compliance comes along with that, has to be part of the big picture. Just an assumption, but AD’s are on a whole other level of accountability than a staff position.

Ed Oregeon cut his teeth as a "bagman" his trick was untraceable credit cards with a certain dollar amount limit, labeled by the pundits as a top notch recruiter

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mk30 and red hornet
As Assistant AD, does he report directly to Dolson or CTA? By title alone, it is a different position than Wilbanks old role. Navigating NIL, and whatever compliance comes along with that, has to be part of the big picture. Just an assumption, but AD’s are on a whole other level of accountability than a staff position.

He's taking over for Wilbanks and will be in direct contact with Allen, from what i understand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT