ADVERTISEMENT

Gender Equity

SoccerSammy

All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2012
NOT bball post but general D1 sports.... read the articles regarding reinstatement of Clemson men’s XCTF programs... particularly the parts regarding the women’s potential lawsuit regarding title IX noncompliance for allocation of resources. What CU is being required to do for the women from the settlement is absolutely astonishing, ground breaking, and could have far reaching implications at D1 schools across the nation, especially those who spend like drunken sailors on their football programs. Very very interesting for what is currently a 2nd page story

Where is the story to which you're referring?

Personally, I think this is the tip of the iceberg, especially if you start paying players.

Reactions: Frosty83

I skimmed through this one. Personally I find it insane that a University feels obligated to spend millions upon millions on non revenue generating sports. I dont care if you are transgender, female, male, horse dicked, whatever. If people aren't paying to go see you, and you are not making money, WTF should the university have to spend money on it? Make it a club sport and pay your own way.

I skimmed through this one. Personally I find it insane that a University feels obligated to spend millions upon millions on non revenue generating sports. I dont care if you are transgender, female, male, horse dicked, whatever. If people aren't paying to go see you, and you are not making money, WTF should the university have to spend money on it? Make it a club sport and pay your own way.
you are an imbecile.... people like you are responsible for destroying college sports

TWO sports... yes TWO only... ever make money at these universities.... so we should only have FB and men's BB... period???? You are truly a complete imbecile. Do you love baseball?? Probably the biggest money losers on any campus that has a baseball team.

College sports were never intended to make money. It is a continuation of physical education action which was pretty much mandatory in all public schools for reasons of health and wellness and the believe that you can not have a sound mind without a sound body.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
College sports were never intended to make money. It is a continuation of physical education action which was pretty much mandatory in all public schools for reasons of health and wellness and the believe that you can not have a sound mind without a sound body.
and most of these kids in the "non revenue" sports are on partial scholarships if not complete walk-on status... very few full scholarships outside FB and MBB

TWO sports... yes TWO only... ever make money at these universities.... so we should only have FB and men's BB... period???? You are truly a complete imbecile. Do you love baseball?? Probably the biggest money losers on any campus that has a baseball team.

Football 'ships should be excluded from Title 9 consideration, because football pays the way for all the NR sports. That's how we end up with rowing and women's FH when those sports aren't even played at the HS level in Indiana. And why there are no men's teams at many Us in sports such as gymnastics, tennis, golf et al.

Football 'ships should be excluded from Title 9 consideration, because football pays the way for all the NR sports. That's how we end up with rowing and women's FH when those sports aren't even played at the HS level in Indiana. And why there are no men's teams at many Us in sports such as gymnastics, tennis, golf et al.
I am 100% in agreement with that.... it's a shame that the 30-40 walk-ons on the FB team who literally never have a chance to ever see the field count against title IX numbers. That desperately needs to be fixed because other than FB the guys get screwed.

I have been fishing quite a few times on lake lemon in the morning when the girls are out rowing. Come to think of it, I didn't catch shit when they were out.... Brand new facilities baby! A few real nice homes have went up on the lake as well.

I am 100% in agreement with that.... it's a shame that the 30-40 walk-ons on the FB team who literally never have a chance to ever see the field count against title IX numbers. That desperately needs to be fixed because other than FB the guys get screwed.

Title IX, in general, needs a complete overhaul based on the structure and revenue in sports today’s.

Title IX, in general, needs a complete overhaul based on the structure and revenue in sports today’s.
It isn't necessarily the structure of Title IX that's the issue. It's the interpretation by the federal courts. What began as an attempt to prevent "educational disadvantage" and outright gender discrimination somewhere along the way turned into "fair means equal". And "equal" somehow morphed into a comparison of the total number of female students vs. males, the meaning of "prime time", and other silly criteria. Until/unless the courts begin taking a narrower view, I'm not optimistic that common sense changes are ever going to occur.

From the earliest public discussions of paying or compensating college athletes, I've had the sneaking suspicion that Title IX issues would end up trashing any significant change (which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing).

the particular sport should receive "extras" generated" by donations and attendance $$ that directly esult from their sport. Why track should expect the same as basketball is ludicrous and anti american. If you generate the $$, you should get more.

NOT bball post but general D1 sports.... read the articles regarding reinstatement of Clemson men’s XCTF programs... particularly the parts regarding the women’s potential lawsuit regarding title IX noncompliance for allocation of resources. What CU is being required to do for the women from the settlement is absolutely astonishing, ground breaking, and could have far reaching implications at D1 schools across the nation, especially those who spend like drunken sailors on their football programs. Very very interesting for what is currently a 2nd page story
This is the new American motto. "Put money into things that won't see monetary return" But as history shows, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" ..... even if its not being used on the wagon, but just being hauled on the side.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I have been fishing quite a few times on lake lemon in the morning when the girls are out rowing. Come to think of it, I didn't catch shit when they were out.... Brand new facilities baby! A few real nice homes have went up on the lake as well.
Thin line between supporting women's sports and being sexist!

Thin line between supporting women's sports and being sexist!

ehhhh. I don’t support anything besides men’s basketball. Including football, tho I am intrigued now. Might make a fan out of me yet.

Wrestling, golf, baseball, whatever other “24 sport one family “ you wanna throw in there, not for me. At all.

ehhhh. I don’t support anything besides men’s basketball. Including football, tho I am intrigued now. Might make a fan out of me yet.

Wrestling, golf, baseball, whatever other “24 sport one family “ you wanna throw in there, not for me. At all.
Too bad you’re wasting your money when you give to the VC. So sad to see all your hard earned bucks wasted on sports that are beneath you

Too bad you’re wasting your money when you give to the VC. So sad to see all your hard earned bucks wasted on sports that are beneath you

You have issues. WTF do you care so much what I enjoy to watch in my free time. Are you really trying to shame me in not watching womens basketball or golf? GTFO with that shit.

Reactions: mk23 and T.M.P.
the particular sport should receive "extras" generated" by donations and attendance $$ that directly esult from their sport. Why track should expect the same as basketball is ludicrous and anti american. If you generate the $$, you should get more.
Anti-American? It is a "University". The idea is broad reaching educational choices and athletics programs. I don't know where to draw a line on what is "fair". Great student athletes need decent facilities to thrive, and football sort of just eats everything. What's reasonable is budgeting what it takes to compete in a certain sport and then trying to secure that funding.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
You have issues. WTF do you care so much what I enjoy to watch in my free time. Are you really trying to shame me in not watching womens basketball or golf? GTFO with that shit.
It must hurt your soul to know that your university is sending their soccer team to the NCAA tourney for the 34th consecutive time.... What an incredible waste of resources! I got to see them win their 8th star in Birmingham live in 2012.... Sorry you missed it.

It must hurt your soul to know that your university is sending their soccer team to the NCAA tourney for the 34th consecutive time.... What an incredible waste of resources! I got to see them win their 8th star in Birmingham live in 2012.... Sorry you missed it.
To be fair...we all have different things we are passionate about. That doesn't make one any more or less important than the next.

What is sad is the amounts of money "required" to play a game. If its about the athletes, they can play club sports on their own to have fun.

When its about the amount of money it takes to win a game..... people start getting upset when it does not affect them except to take money from something they love.

Title IX makes it so just as many athletic scholarships go to females as they do males. Since so many football players get scholarships (and those are generally all males), the women have to get more sports to make up for it.

At IU..

the women only sports are field hockey, rowing, volleyball and water polo
the men only sports are football and wrestling

All the other sports are in both men and women (i put baseball and softball together since they are similar enough)

Title IX makes it so just as many athletic scholarships go to females as they do males. Since so many football players get scholarships (and those are generally all males), the women have to get more sports to make up for it.

At IU..

the women only sports are field hockey, rowing, volleyball and water polo
the men only sports are football and wrestling

All the other sports are in both men and women (i put baseball and softball together since they are similar enough)
The problem I have with this, is the the new "non-gender" world we live in, by all rights makes the entire Title IX prejudicial by categorizing people. In today's world there should only be one team for each sport which is open to any competitors regardless of their gender.

The problem I have with this, is the the new "non-gender" world we live in, by all rights makes the entire Title IX prejudicial by categorizing people. In today's world there should only be one team for each sport which is open to any competitors regardless of their gender.
Maybe rather than assigning by gender just allow a maximum number of penises per team

• Haha

Any university with a competent understanding of sports revenue will understand that men’s football drives the boat.
It doesn’t matter if you like the sport, understand it, or give two shits about it. It is the main bread-winner. That’s not dissing basketball either. Basketball salaries and facilities require football to keep them going. There are some exceptions, usually schools that don’t even field a football team and they wouldn’t compete in the Big Ten. Even when we sucked, I think football out-earned any other sport.

Any university with a competent understanding of sports revenue will understand that men’s football drives the boat.
It doesn’t matter if you like the sport, understand it, or give two shits about it. It is the main bread-winner. That’s not dissing basketball either. Basketball salaries and facilities require football to keep them going. There are some exceptions, usually schools that don’t even field a football team and they wouldn’t compete in the Big Ten. Even when we sucked, I think football out-earned any other sport.

I am interested to see the ticket sales this year for football. Should be very interesting.

Anti-American? It is a "University". The idea is broad reaching educational choices and athletics programs. I don't know where to draw a line on what is "fair". Great student athletes need decent facilities to thrive, and football sort of just eats everything. What's reasonable is budgeting what it takes to compete in a certain sport and then trying to secure that funding.

And football also just feeds everything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT