ADVERTISEMENT

GeddyHoosier

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
I saw your post about Evansville on the free board? In talking about historic programs what happened to evansville soccer? When I was coming out of high school they were a powerhouse. Quite a few studs from Stl played there. Ernst, etc. I'll never forget watching my best friend's u of dayton team lose 6-0 to them. they were one of the top programs in the country.

I saw your post about Evansville on the free board? In talking about historic programs what happened to evansville soccer? When I was coming out of high school they were a powerhouse. Quite a few studs from Stl played there. Ernst, etc. I'll never forget watching my best friend's u of dayton team lose 6-0 to them. they were one of the top programs in the country.
Hey guys, I grew up in Evansville in the mid 80s and early 90s when the Aces were an absolute power. I still remember my father taking me to the elite 8 game in 1990 when they beat IU 1-0 and advanced to the College Cup( they lost to Alexi Lalas and Rutgers).

As for what happened to them, Snowling’s explination is pretty accurate. I did hear from another soccer guy in the area that Fred Smaltz actually got black listed among St Louis high school coaches in the mid 90s. Seems he promised a bunch of things to recruits and never followed through. That killed his recruiting pipeline. They also had success recruiting In the UK: Mick Lyon, who later coached IU women, David Weir, etc... Well that pipeline dried up too and UE never recovered. UE soccer is about as bad as UE basketball now.

Reactions: snowling
Hey guys, I grew up in Evansville in the mid 80s and early 90s when the Aces were an absolute power. I still remember my father taking me to the elite 8 game in 1990 when they beat IU 1-0 and advanced to the College Cup( they lost to Alexi Lalas and Rutgers).

As for what happened to them, Snowling’s explination is pretty accurate. I did hear from another soccer guy in the area that Fred Smaltz actually got black listed among St Louis high school coaches in the mid 90s. Seems he promised a bunch of things to recruits and never followed through. That killed his recruiting pipeline. They also had success recruiting In the UK: Mick Lyon, who later coached IU women, David Weir, etc... Well that pipeline dried up too and UE never recovered. UE soccer is about as bad as UE basketball now.
I can still picture the all white uniforms they wore back then. Interesting stuff. I had an intern just last week tell me that's being honeydicked lol. they promise all sorts of stuff to get you to go there then dick you over after you enroll. honeydicked. lol.

IU women had an english coach. wow! crazy. i'm friends with the other former women's iu coach, joe kelley's, brother and sister. every winter we play indoor in a memorial tournament for joe. sad that he died so young. anyway evansville soccer was really something during that time period. you were there at the right time!

Reactions: snowling
You might enjoy this highlight video from the 1990 Aces. They were undefeated and ranked #1 heading to the College Cup. Included are highlights from that IU game. Also, check out the Boston U. goalie getting sent off around 8:30

Evansville Memorial was also the best high school team in the state back then.

You might enjoy this highlight video from the 1990 Aces. They were undefeated and ranked #1 heading to the College Cup. Included are highlights from that IU game. Also, check out the Boston U. goalie getting sent off around 8:30

That’s awesome. You know back then only 28 teams made the tournament. Just getting there was a big deal.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT