ADVERTISEMENT

Gaurantee that if

What sane person wouldn’t negotiate if they know the fan base hates them and he’s not going to be here long term? So technically we owe him around $15M over 4 years, right? Offer him $8M to leave. He could easily find another mid major or lower P5 team to pay him $2M or so a year. That’s $8M over the next 4 years plus the $8M we give him. He’s actually coming out ahead and he gets to start fresh and at a school that actually wants him.
Literally no sane person would ever do that.

So was Tom Crean.
So was Tom Crean.

Shhhh don't mention that as it sours my fan boy emotional case. Lol

Seriously though, Crean's issue is Crean himself. I can excuse and block out the Izzo/Crean (or really the Izzo anyone as I'm not sure he or Jud has much of a successful coaching tree) and say Dane has two years playing experience with Knight, two with Davis whatever that means, a couple as a head coach and now a bunch under Izzo.

He's kind of like the French in the late 1700's with their government (who I believe had a monarchy, a democracy and a dictator all within something like 25 years.

My other fan boy reaction would be to say to hell with it and grab Jordan from Butler because of Steven's (and a little Holtmann envy).

I don't think Archie comes back from this season so looks like I've gotta start researching coaches again.

Goddamn it.

Steve Piekle has been really impressive at Rutgers.....

Reactions: T.M.P.
I manage three multimillion dollar contracts, so yes I do. I’ve not read his contract (link it), I read the articles about his contract. Everything I’ve said about the buyout is correct per all the reporting.

Also don’t be an arrogant POS.
Aloha that could be the buyout amount but standard employment contracts include mitigation and offset clauses, including coaches' contracts.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I guarantee you that the majority of high school kids don't know that Randy Whittman played for Indiana and wouldn't care.

Hell, they wouldn't care that he coached in the NBA either. Just because people grew up watching him play doesn't mean their sons are gonna want to play for him.
Truth! Today's high school studs have only seen a very mediocre IU program since they were born.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Truth! Today's high school studs have only seen a very mediocre IU program since they were born.

The sad fact is that nearly everybody agrees Archie isn't going to be here long term, another year just makes it worse, and the administration doesn't have the balls to stop it now?

Reactions: IUgradman
I manage three multimillion dollar contracts, so yes I do. I’ve not read his contract (link it), I read the articles about his contract. Everything I’ve said about the buyout is correct per all the reporting.

Also don’t be an arrogant POS.

do you me need me to wipe your ass too? I’m not the one claiming we can’t fire him based on his contract. I figured you had not read it. Again, ignorant AF.

Are those multi million dollar contracts you manage remotely close to a coaches contract? Lol. I mean Work o multi million dollar deals with oil companies constantly. Like 20 at a time!!! But has nothing to do with Archie contract.

Reactions: Radio Zero
What sane person wouldn’t negotiate if they know the fan base hates them and he’s not going to be here long term? So technically we owe him around $15M over 4 years, right? Offer him $8M to leave. He could easily find another mid major or lower P5 team to pay him $2M or so a year. That’s $8M over the next 4 years plus the $8M we give him. He’s actually coming out ahead and he gets to start fresh and at a school that actually wants him.

No sane person is walking away from a guaranteed contract to take half of what his deal is worth when at that moment, his entire deal guaranteed.

And I can guarantee you, the entire fan base does not hate Archie, no matter how many people on this board want everyone to think that's the case.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Aloha that could be the buyout amount but standard employment contracts include mitigation and offset clauses, including coaches' contracts.
I don't doubt that they do. I just haven't seen it. Also, how do we know that Miller wouldn't take a two or three year sabbatical, or decide to take a lower paying job as an announcer or something before getting back to coaching? IU can be on the hook for all or most of his remaining contract. It's a risk I don't think there's any chance they'll take until after his fourth year when the buyout is 50%.

Last edited:
do you me need me to wipe your ass too? I’m not the one claiming we can’t fire him based on his contract. I figured you had not read it. Again, ignorant AF.

Are those multi million dollar contracts you manage remotely close to a coaches contract? Lol. I mean Work o multi million dollar deals with oil companies constantly. Like 20 at a time!!! But has nothing to do with Archie contract.
Nope, not in that business so they're not coaching contracts. Mine are all Defense related contracts and I imagine they're more complicated than a coaches contract.

I searched and I can't find his contract, but what I said is what has been reported. Since you've read it, how about linking it?

Also, you posted like an arrogant POS again. I could have a civil conversation with you, but you act like a dick and I will act like a dick. I'm lost all tolerance for dickishness on this forum.

I don't doubt that they do. I just haven't seen it. Also, how do we know that Miller wouldn't take a two or three year sabbatical, or decide to take a lower paying job as an announcer or something before getting back to coaching. IU can be on the hook for all or most of his remaining contract. It's a risk I don't think there's any chance they'll take until after his fourth year when the buyout is 50%.
If Miller rolls out of IU, he won’t choose to take a sabbatical or otherwise remove himself from coaching. He’s not Urban Meyer, who won a national championship at UF and took time to broadcast before going to Columbus (and retiring again and going back to broadcasting). Guys with that level of success can take time away.

If you’re Miller and you failed at IU, you’ll seek redemption via another job as quickly as possible. Out of coaching would make re-entry that much harder down the road. Ask Dakich. And anyone familiar with contracts (and especially employment contracts) understands implicitly that they’re rife with exceptions, offsets, carve outs, and other mechanisms of relief.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Sure, Archie may not be fired for another year or two but is the money worth being a pariah in the community and feeling the ever increasing heat from the fanbase? Take a buyout for a few million then go somewhere new and start fresh.

I don't doubt that they do. I just haven't seen it. Also, how do we know that Miller wouldn't take a two or three year sabbatical, or decide to take a lower paying job as an announcer or something before getting back to coaching? IU can be on the hook for all or most of his remaining contract. It's a risk I don't think there's any chance they'll take until after his fourth year when the buyout is 50%.
They also include good faith clauses attendant to the duty to mitigate, which prevents just what you're afraid. He wouldn't be able to just do nothing and cash in.

Reactions: Vern Pain
They also include good faith clauses attendant to the duty to mitigate, which prevents just what you're afraid. He wouldn't be able to just do nothing and cash in.
Actually, I'm not afraid. I have no problem giving him one more year at this point. Lose out and miss the tournament and I'll be pissed about that and he'll need to overachieve next year to get me back on the Miller wagon, but I don't think he'll be fired even under that worst case scenario. I just don't think they'll take that risk with the buyout.

Reactions: MrBing
Actually, I'm not afraid. I have no problem giving him one more year at this point. Lose out and miss the tournament and I'll be pissed about that and he'll need to overachieve next year to get me back on the Miller wagon, but I don't think he'll be fired even under that worst case scenario. I just don't think they'll take that risk with the buyout.
I'd like to see him fired today. I'm done, along with most the people I know. Yesterday was as bad as it gets.

Sure, Archie may not be fired for another year or two but is the money worth being a pariah in the community and feeling the ever increasing heat from the fanbase? Take a buyout for a few million then go somewhere new and start fresh.

Exactly, when you can't go out to dinner in Btown because everybody hates you and you're worried about getting your meal spit on, because your a thief. That'd be fun, but I guess you could cook at home. Have fun at Kroger's though, I think he'd negotiate

They discriminated against Mike Davis then.

QUOTE="Hatchets7times, post: 2864815, member: 35909"]I just talked to major alum..
There isn't going to be any movement at least till after next season..
So get aboard..
[/QUOTE]
That not correct. Mike Davis followed Knight. Expectations of a coach were high at that time. As the basketball program has endured repeated fiascos and failures over time, standards gradually have been lowered. Now, it would be an improvement just to be taken seriously as a basketball program. IU is no longer one of college basketball's elite great programs. It is a average program and of most of its fans will be happy if it just makes the NCAA Tourney. I lived through the Bobby Knight era when IU was a power. It sadden me to see him yesterday. It saddens me more to see what our basketball program has become.

This was the same case with Crean. Glass said numerous times that the buyout had little to do with his slow hand in getting rid of Tommy.

First of all, a buyout would not be paid out in a lump sum unless some alternative is negotiated. There was also the good faith clause you mentioned. He couldn't just sit.back and collect, he has to.seek out another coaching or at least basketball related job. The money Crean made as an ESPN analyst was deducted from his payments from IU. Once Crean got the Georgia gig, IU was off the hook.

I guarantee you that the majority of high school kids don't know that Randy Whittman played for Indiana and wouldn't care.

Hell, they wouldn't care that he coached in the NBA either. Just because people grew up watching him play doesn't mean their sons are gonna want to play for him.

Few coaches will be old enough to be remembered "playing", that wasn't my point. He's connected in the sense that he is widely known by HS coaches and administrators. And even if they don't remember him playing, when you are recruiting kids with NBA dreams and can speak of your own years of playing and coaching in the NBA (and understanding what it takes to get there) it will carry some weight.

Or, you could go with the hot mid-major du jour who just had a couple nice runs in the tournament. Possible to win big this route, but it's not even a 50/50 proposition.

Archie will probably get a 4th year, but the real question is, will he make it through the whole year?

He didn't eat his salary. He gave a year back on a extension that he never made it to. Let's at least get the facts straight.

That's the same thing basically, if he could gave stayed another year, sucked, and taken more from them guaranteed over that time … basically what you're suggesting Archie's mindset is

That's the same thing basically, if he could gave stayed another year, sucked, and taken more from them guaranteed over that time … basically what you're suggesting Archie's mindset is

No it's not.

You said he gave back his salary. He did not. All he did was give back a year, which was 5 years down the road. He got fired well before that extension would have hit.

Giving back a year extension and saying that he ate a year salary isn't the same thing in the least and is very misleading and you know it and you got called on it.

No it's not.

You said he gave back his salary. He did not. All he did was give back a year, which was 5 years down the road. He got fired well before that extension would have hit.

Giving back a year extension and saying that he ate a year salary isn't the same thing in the least and is very misleading and you know it and you got called on it.

So Archie giving up a year of his contract wouldn't be giving up salary when you're so adamant that he wouldn't be fired because of his buyout. That's be called giving up salary, if you know they won't fire you and you could just sit back and collect. Kind of what most of us fear he'll do

So Archie giving up a year of his contract wouldn't be giving up salary when you're so adamant that he wouldn't be fired because of his buyout. That's be called giving up salary, if you know they won't fire you and you could just sit back and collect. Kind of what most of us fear he'll do

You can bang this buyout drum all you want, but it's not gonna happen. He's not going anywhere no matter how much you want it to happen.

The only way he gets fired before his 100% buyout is up is if he does something so bad that we can totally get out of his deal, which I highly doubt he does. I'm not guessing on this either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT