ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Bowl: Indiana, Tennessee Fans Boost Ticket Sales past 55K

Didn't IU beat UVA twice in their head to head? Did IU play Missouri in Bloomington?

IU played UNC in a H2H (lost both).

IU can and should include in its schedule a Power 5 team even year OOC.

Then beat em.

Early 2000's is where we jumped the shark.

Went from Utah, Kentucky, NC State in 2001...

to 3 MAC schools and Indiana State by 2007.

1-2. Should’ve been 7-4. An absolute joke we didn’t get ARE to a bowl. Of course our kicker crapped out vs Utah and the horrible Tommy Jones experiment...but oh well. If the NC St debacle doesn’t happen though neither does ARE going off at MSU or Wisky. I was in high school in 2001 so my memory is foggy but how does anyone with half a brain move ARE to WR??

1-2. Should’ve been 7-4. An absolute joke we didn’t get ARE to a bowl. Of course our kicker crapped out vs Utah and the horrible Tommy Jones experiment...but oh well. If the NC St debacle doesn’t happen though neither does ARE going off at MSU or Wisky. I was in high school in 2001 so my memory is foggy but how does anyone with half a brain move ARE to WR??
It was to help his pro career and I remember it well. I wasn't entirely against it, because I thought ARE in space would be hard(er) to stop. And he proved that in the NFL. It would also allow him to play more Special Teams. It was also to showcase his pro potential - he wasn't going to be QB in the NFL.

Tommy Jones was a big arm. I think he even spent some time on an NFL team. But with that being his first start, we weren't ready to play anyone good at that point.

That wasn't the problem. The problem was, Cam never figured out you have to also play Defense.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

2001- Lost at NCSt and Utah at home. Beat Kentucky at home. Drew less than 27k for those two home games. Went 4-4 in conference and 5-7 on season missing a bowl by one game.

2007- Beat all 3 MAC schools and INSt. They were all home games. Drew a minimum of 31k for each of those 4 games. Went 3-5 in conference but 7-5 in regular season. Went to Insight bowl losing to OKSt.

I thought your point was to play a tougher OOC schedule but your examples point to the opposite.

2001- Lost at NCSt and Utah at home. Beat Kentucky at home. Drew less than 27k for those two home games. Went 4-4 in conference and 5-7 on season missing a bowl by one game.

2007- Beat all 3 MAC schools and INSt. They were all home games. Drew a minimum of 31k for each of those 4 games. Went 3-5 in conference but 7-5 in regular season. Went to Insight bowl losing to OKSt.

I thought your point was to play a tougher OOC schedule but your examples point to the opposite.
I was going to post something similar, but decided his mind is closed to any logical argument.

Good job of laying it out.

People seem to forget how horrible the program was in that era. People who say 25k are at games now are idiots. I sat through A LOT of games where literally 15-20k people showed up. It was sad.
Dinardo’s final homecoming: 22,000. I’ll always remember that.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I want to put an end to this silly sh.. once and for all..

On this past September 14th, on a beautiful sunny, clear day, 75 degrees at the Noon Kickoff (not Too Hot and not Too Cold), wind out of the south at 4 mph..., we played Ohio $tate, the then 6th ranked team (now #2) in the country... They were 3-0 and we were 2-1.

The official attendance was 47,945 which is Not a sellout (we hold 52,626).

We'll go low and say that "the" Ohio $tate only brought 10,000 fans (most likely it was twice that number)...

That means, at best, we had about 38,000 Indiana fans as actual ticket holders, and based on my experience, I'd bet at least 5,000 of those ticket holders never came in from their Tailgate Party..., which leaves us with approximately 33,000 Indiana fans actually in their seats for what at that point was easily the biggest game of the young season...

Given the above..., I'm curious to know exactly which team in the country and what set of circumstances it would take to entice our fans to come in and fill the place and support their team... ((somehow I'm doubting scheduling Ole Miss will do the trick [DWS]...))

If they won't fill it for Ohio State I don't think they deserve a vote in regard to scheduling. Period...

All of this "we need to play better teams in September" and the fans will fill the place nonsense, is exactly that..., just nonsense... (and the above Proves It)...

Last edited:
The Gator Bowl's Ticketmaster page shows two additional 400-level sections now open for ticket sales on the IU side - - sections 432 and 441. Verified resale tickets on the IU side are as low as $22. It's looking more and more like attendance will be north of 60k, perhaps approaching a sellout of 67k. The weather forecast looks very good as well. Can't wait for Thursday!

30K ten fans, 20K IU fans 5-10K sponsor/guest/local sales/charity seats many of which will be empty. Just a guess.

I want to put an end to this silly sh.. once and for all..

On this past September 14th, on a beautiful sunny, clear day, 75 degrees at the Noon Kickoff (not Too Hot and not Too Cold), wind out of the south at 4 mph..., we played Ohio $tate, the then 6th ranked team (now #2) in the country... They were 3-0 and we were 2-1.

The official attendance was 47,945 which is Not a sellout (we hold 52,626).

We'll go low and say that "the" Ohio $tate only brought 10,000 fans (most likely it was twice that number)...

That means, at best, we had about 38,000 Indiana fans as actual ticket holders, and based on my experience, I'd bet at least 5,000 of those ticket holders never came in from their Tailgate Party..., which leaves us with approximately 33,000 Indiana fans actually in their seats for what at that point was easily the biggest game of the young season...

Given the above..., I'm curious to know exactly which team in the country and what set of circumstances it would take to entice our fans to come in and fill the place and support their team... ((somehow I'm doubting scheduling Ole Miss will do the trick [DWS]...))

If they won't fill it for Ohio State I don't think they deserve a vote in regard to scheduling. Period...

All of this "we need to play better teams in September" and the fans will fill the place nonsense, is exactly that..., just nonsense... (and the above Proves It)...

I had another commitment, but I wouldn't have gone to that game anyway because I was sure OSU was going to kick our ass. And there would be a bunch of O-H-I-O rounds by the beginning of the 3rd quarter. I think very few people gave us a shot after seeing the BSU, U Conn, and EIU games v. what OSU was doing. We had a bigger crowd in '17 when it was the first game of the year, and there was a lot of breakthrough talk.

I've never said play great teams in OOC. What I've said is that it is disrespectful to season ticket holders not to play at least one legit rival opponent such as UK, UL or Cincy. Any of those would be good....if they refuse, Virginia or Missouri types are ok. What we've been doing is absolute chicken-s***, imo.

Indiana football seems to have a lot of loyal fans, however not enough to fill the stadium. There seems to be about 20k people that will travel to any bowl game and home game. The casuals are who need to show up for once

IU has plenty of loyal south central Indiana fans who would love to attend the games in Btown, but have simply been priced out. (way out).

IU's strategy isn't to fill IU's stadium..

it's to max the revenue from the loyal 20,000.

Reactions: ESalum86
I had another commitment, but I wouldn't have gone to that game anyway because I was sure OSU was going to kick our ass. And there would be a bunch of O-H-I-O rounds by the beginning of the 3rd quarter. I think very few people gave us a shot after seeing the BSU, U Conn, and EIU games v. what OSU was doing. We had a bigger crowd in '17 when it was the first game of the year, and there was a lot of breakthrough talk.

I've never said play great teams in OOC. What I've said is that it is disrespectful to season ticket holders not to play at least one legit rival opponent such as UK, UL or Cincy. Any of those would be good....if they refuse, Virginia or Missouri types are ok. What we've been doing is absolute chicken-s***, imo.
We play UofL and Cincy over the next several years.

IU has plenty of loyal south central Indiana fans who would love to attend the games in Btown, but have simply been priced out. (way out).

IU's strategy isn't to fill IU's stadium..

it's to max the revenue from the loyal 20,000.

Huh?? I bought season tickets for $200 this year. My kids season tickets were 60 bucks each. BY FAR the cheapest in the Big 10.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT