ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Bowl: Indiana, Tennessee Fans Boost Ticket Sales past 55K

red hornet

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
With a week to go before the bowl game, ticket sales are at a 6-year high for the Gator Bowl. Both teams have sold their allotment of tickets, & Gator Bowl president Rick Catlett obviously is very happy about the response from both fan bases. Some tickets remain through TicketMaster.

With a week to go before the bowl game, ticket sales are at a 6-year high for the Gator Bowl. Both teams have sold their allotment of tickets, & Gator Bowl president Rick Catlett obviously is very happy about the response from both fan bases. Some tickets remain through TicketMaster.
Looks like $28 seats are still available in the upper level, and the "4 for $75" promotion is ongoing.

Here's a link to the article red hornet cited. Some highlights:
  • "We knew what we were getting with Tennessee [in terms of ticket sales]" said Rick Catlett, Gator Bowl president. But Indiana has been exceptional and has sold tickets better than any Big Ten team we've had in our game under the current contract, with the exception of Penn State."
  • With one week to go until the game, "more than 55,000 tickets have been sold, the most since the 2016 game between Georgia and Penn State (58,212)."
  • "Both teams have sold their allotment of 8,000 tickets, and Vols and Hoosiers fans are dipping into a stash of about 10,000 [remaining] tickets available at ticketmaster.com."
GO HOOSIERS!!!

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports...indiana-fans-help-boost-ticket-sales-past-55k

Here's a link to the article red hornet cited. Some highlights:
  • "We knew what we were getting with Tennessee [in terms of ticket sales]" said Rick Catlett, Gator Bowl president. But Indiana has been exceptional and has sold tickets better than any Big Ten team we've had in our game under the current contract, with the exception of Penn State."
  • With one week to go until the game, "more than 55,000 tickets have been sold, the most since the 2016 game between Georgia and Penn State (58,212)."
  • "Both teams have sold their allotment of 8,000 tickets, and Vols and Hoosiers fans are dipping into a stash of about 10,000 [remaining] tickets available at ticketmaster.com."
GO HOOSIERS!!!

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports...indiana-fans-help-boost-ticket-sales-past-55k
Each school only gets 8k tickets? That seems really low.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75

Yeah...that is ridiculous. You would think they would do 15k each. That’s half the stadium and then put the other 30,000 seats out there for grabs. I imagine some Jacksonville residents go to this. The allotment seems low.

I know several people who live within a 50 mile radius of B-town and they didn’t go to any home games this year but they are on the bandwagon for this bowl game and heading down.

I know several people who live within a 50 mile radius of B-town and they didn’t go to any home games this year but they are on the bandwagon for this bowl game and heading down.
Not sure what to think of that. <shrug> I guess it could mean they'll be in Memorial Stadium in the future. Lets hope we have a good showing on the field in Jax.

I think it's pretty typical of a school's bowl game allotment. Purdue's initial allotment for the Music City Bowl last year (and Nashville is less than a six hour drive from W. Lafayette, although it must have seemed a heckuva lot longer than that driving home - lol) was 8,000 and Kentucky's Citrus Bowl allotment was 9,000.

Remember, too, that the official allotment is just a portion of the tickets sold to the fan base. Many people buy/bought directly through Ticketmaster or the secondary market like StubHub. Also, and as noted above, the bowl president commented that IU has sold more tickets for the Gator than any other Big Ten school (other than Penn State) in recent years. We're definitely going to have a big crowd of Hoosier fans.

I think it's pretty typical of a school's bowl game allotment. Purdue's initial allotment for the Music City Bowl last year (and Nashville is less than a six hour drive from W. Lafayette, although it must have seemed a heckuva lot longer than that driving home - lol) was 8,000 and Kentucky's Citrus Bowl allotment was 9,000.

Remember, too, that the official allotment is just a portion of the tickets sold to the fan base. Many people buy/bought directly through Ticketmaster or the secondary market like StubHub. Also, and as noted above, the bowl president commented that IU has sold more tickets for the Gator than any other Big Ten school (other than Penn State) in recent years. We're definitely going to have a big crowd of Hoosier fans.

Our seven did not come from the allotment, most people I know bought direct.

And this makes us a more desirable bowl team for the future.

Hmmm.

Hoosier fans will indeed buy tickets to see us play a name, non-local, unfamiliar opponent....even if the stadium is 13 hours away.

Interesting.
Yes they will. Our fans definitely care. People are pretty excited about an eight win IU team playing in a warm-weather bowl game, which disproves your ridiculous argument that I've copied and pasted below. Nobody - - except you - - gives a shit at this point about September's OOC schedule.

And, by the way, if you plan on attending, you should know that the game is in Jacksonville, not Detroit.

"Playing patsies to get 8 wins....nobody cares....we didn't play/beat anyone. No one shows up for Michigan in November because we didn't beat anybody.

Unlike you guys, fans that pay to show up want to see wins over quality opponents....not 3 wasted weekends in a quest for a Detroit Bowl.

Players feel the same.
"

70 mattndallas, Tuesday at 11:46 PM

Hmmm.

Hoosier fans will indeed buy tickets to see us play a name, non-local, unfamiliar opponent....even if the stadium is 13 hours away.

Interesting.
Hey Matt do think that all 55k fans are Hoosiers fans? Probably not . In really probably closer to 30k which like I said before the same amount that routinely attend games in Bloomington. Not really amazing. But as usual you continue to try to sell your narrative.

Hey Matt do think that all 55k fans are Hoosiers fans? Probably not . In really probably closer to 30k which like I said before the same amount that routinely attend games in Bloomington. Not really amazing. But as usual you continue to try to sell your narrative.
Indiana football seems to have a lot of loyal fans, however not enough to fill the stadium. There seems to be about 20k people that will travel to any bowl game and home game. The casuals are who need to show up for once

Reactions: DANC
Indiana football seems to have a lot of loyal fans, however not enough to fill the stadium. There seems to be about 20k people that will travel to any bowl game and home game. The casuals are who need to show up for once
I think the more casual fans are gun shy, and with good reason. They've had Lucy pull the football away so many times that it's tough to get them excited about IU football, no matter who the opponent might be on any given Saturday.

Matt keeps harping on the attendance for E. ILL. and UConn. At that point, no one with any sense was thinking we were on our way to an 8-4 season. Most were calling it from 5-7 to 7-5 at best, simply because we have had a solid history of falling short in a game or two and not meeting expectations. This season showed what is possible if we take care of business and don't give anything away.

I wonder how they know it's Tennessee or Indiana fans buying through Ticketmaster or StubHub?

Reactions: 76-1
I wonder how they know it's Tennessee or Indiana fans buying through Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Agreed there's no way it's an exact science but I bought tickets on the stadium's east side so that gives them a pretty good idea I'm a Hoosier. Also, there's just not much privacy anymore. If someone's got your email address, they can often find out a lot about you (through social media, for example) with just that information.

Reactions: ESalum86 and DANC
I am quite sure there will be a mixed crowd where we are: IU, Ten, and locals. Businesses and sponsors buy seats as well which is why you often see empty seats in some of the best sections.

Agreed there's no way it's an exact science but I bought tickets on the stadium's east side so that gives them a pretty good idea I'm a Hoosier. Also, there's just not much privacy anymore. If someone's got your email address, they can often find out a lot about you (through social media, for example) with just that information.
Or just mailing addresses. I'm sure they're pleasantly surprised by the number of fans we'll have there.

We've traveled well for games in the past. I know a lot of other teams at the Insight Bowl were surprised at the number of IU fans who were there.

And note that the allotment is an obligation. If a school doesn’t sell their tickets, they eat them. I doubt many schools would want to be on the hook for 15k tickets for any other than the highest profile games.

And note that the allotment is an obligation. If a school doesn’t sell their tickets, they eat them. I doubt many schools would want to be on the hook for 15k tickets for any other than the highest profile games.
Give extra priority points for basketball and we'd have no problem selling an extra 7,000 tickets to a bowl game.

Wait.

So if we schedule an actual interesting opponent, with a large fanbase....they might actually also show up in Bloomington...boosting the attendance...(and cash to the program)

Who woulda thunk?

Wait.

So if we schedule an actual interesting opponent, with a large fanbase....they might actually also show up in Bloomington...boosting the attendance...(and cash to the program)

Who woulda thunk?
I know you think that scheduling headline opponents is some key to success but we already have decades of case studies in Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. We don’t sell those games out and they beat the shit out of us. Even when we’ve played Missouri, Utah, North Carolina, NC state in recent years like you say we should, we haven’t seen any boost in attendance and we’ve lost almost all of them.
Recap of actual evidence- High profile opponents equals no difference in attendance and almost certain losses. Everyone but you realizes this. We need to build the program before we take that approach.

Wait.

Who woulda thunk?
Wait.

So if we play in Florida in a bowl game, that's the same as playing in freezing weather on a campus where the students are away on holiday?

Perfect analogy...... :rolleyes:

Wait.

Who woulda thunk?

You keep beating this drum. If you say it a dozen more times will it make it true? My answer is no.

Due to distance and other factors, I don't make it to a lot of games but one of the MAIN reasons I don't go is the lack of IU in the past, being competitive with big time programs.

I guess some would call me a casual fan or an arm chair fan. I can tell you though that I am not going to spend my money and time to attend games that I think we have NO chance of winning. Scheduling Clemson would not even peak my interest until we start to beat OSU, etc. in the BT more frequently than ever 30 years.

I was at Lucas Oil this year because I thought we had a chance to beat them. IU's non-conference scheduling is right on point IMO. If Allen can get us consistently to bowls then and ONLY then tweak the schedule a bit.

Good point about needing the confidence your school can sellout their allotment.
However, for a school as large as IU, IUs overall budget, etc. I would think we could handle 15K. If not, maybe a marketing issue by IU admin?

Reactions: DANC
Good point about needing the confidence your school can sellout their allotment.
However, for a school as large as IU, IUs overall budget, etc. I would think we could handle 15K. If not, maybe a marketing issue by IU admin?

IU sold out their allotment with many more buying direct.

Wait.

Who woulda thunk?

Define interesting? There’s no chance in hell you’re getting a Clemson, an Alabama, a Notre Dame, any perennial top 25 program to come play a true road game in Bloomington. It’s a lose-lose for that program.

It’s not unrealistic to get a good regional G5 school (Cincy, Memphis, etc) to come to Bloomington or bottom feeder P5 school, but you’re nuts if you think that’s somehow going to spike attendance.

Didn't IU beat UVA twice in their head to head? Did IU play Missouri in Bloomington?

IU played UNC in a H2H (lost both).

IU can and should include in its schedule a Power 5 team even year OOC.

Then beat em.

Didn't IU beat UVA twice in their head to head? Did IU play Missouri in Bloomington?

IU played UNC in a H2H (lost both).

IU can and should include in its schedule a Power 5 team even year OOC.

Then beat em.

I would agree when we had 8 conference games. Since we bumped it to 9 I think it’s dumb...at least until we can prove we can consistently get to 6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT