ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Bowl Crowd Pic

Shocker0

Newcomer
Oct 2, 2011
Sorry the Panorama turned out blurry but this gives a good idea of the representation of the fans. I am a Vol fan but was definitely surprised how many people Indiana brought down for the game. I also attended the Outback Bowl in 2016 when the Vols played Northwestern and it seemed like that game was 90% Vols and 10% Northwestern, so it's good to see how many Indiana fans turned up.

1AbhMU7.jpg

Sorry the Panorama turned out blurry but this gives a good idea of the representation of the fans. I am a Vol fan but was definitely surprised how many people Indiana brought down for the game. I also attended the Outback Bowl in 2016 when the Vols played Northwestern and it seemed like that game was 90% Vols and 10% Northwestern, so it's good to see how many Indiana fans turned up.

1AbhMU7.jpg
Nice pic, thnx for posting.

There's a lot more orange mixed in the IU section than I thought there was. We were in the upper section of the 'club' seats and couldn't really see what was in the lower areas. I assumed most of that side of the stadium was red, but apparently not. I'm guessing the ratio is around 70/30.

Northwestern is always going to have a smaller turnout for no other reason than they have a smaller enrollment than other B10 schools by a wide margin. For some TN perspective NW roughly equates to Vanderbilt in size. NW has a bit over 8k undergrads, Vandy has around 7k. Plus for some reason NW hasn't really embraced their football program the way one would think with the success they've had.

Wisconsin and Iowa are probably the best travelling fan bases in the B10. They've literally drunk some bars dry when they've been in Indy for the B10 championship game in the past.

Reactions: Shocker0
There's a lot more orange mixed in the IU section than I thought there was. We were in the upper section of the 'club' seats and couldn't really see what was in the lower areas. I assumed most of that side of the stadium was red, but apparently not. I'm guessing the ratio is around 70/30.

Northwestern is always going to have a smaller turnout for no other reason than they have a smaller enrollment than other B10 schools by a wide margin. For some TN perspective NW roughly equates to Vanderbilt in size. NW has a bit over 8k undergrads, Vandy has around 7k. Plus for some reason NW hasn't really embraced their football program the way one would think with the success they've had.

Wisconsin and Iowa are probably the best travelling fan bases in the B10. They've literally drunk some bars dry when they've been in Indy for the B10 championship game in the past.

Agree, but I'm pretty sure there were a lot more Indiana fans at the game Thursday than there were Iowa fans in the 2015 Gator Bowl against Tennessee. I know some Iowa fans who were talking about how well they travel before that game but it seemed like they didn't show up that year. Here is a picture. There are actually more Iowa fans in this pic than it looked in other pics I saw. You guys definitely had more of a crowd than they did.

From an article: Tennessee jumped all over Iowa in the game's first 18 minutes and made a quick 28-0 lead stand up in a 45-28 win against the Hawkeyes in the TaxSlayer Bowl in front of an announced crowd at EverBank Field of 56,310 that was more than 80 percent orange.

iowa_tenn_tsb_2015__flexslider.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a better pic of just the Indiana side Thursday night.

hxtp3x7.jpg
Indiana fans showed up in larger numbers at the Gator Bowl than any other Big Ten team (other than Penn State) in recent years, including Iowa. Here's a quote (a couple of weeks ago) from the president of the bowl:
"We knew what we were getting with Tennessee [in terms of ticket sales]" said Rick Catlett, Gator Bowl president. But Indiana has been exceptional and has sold tickets better than any Big Ten team we've had in our game under the current contract, with the exception of Penn State."

I'd estimate IU fans constituted about a third of the crowd, or roughly 20,000. Nice showing by the cream and crimson brigade.

The last part isn’t even close to accurate. Best traveling fan base in the country is osu and it’s not even close. Penn St and Mich are 2nd and 3rd in the B1G. I read that the B1G championship this year was 90-10 osu/wisky.

1AbhMU7.jpg
In defense of IU fans, y'all didn't have to travel through Kentucky to get to the game. ;)

In defense of IU fans, y'all didn't have to travel through Kentucky to get to the game. ;)

I'm not sure what that means, but the Cal vs TN home game in 2007 and Oregon vs TN home game in 2013 both had very large swaths of Vol fans despite being road games. Not to mention, 2013 was after several down years.

The last part isn’t even close to accurate. Best traveling fan base in the country is osu and it’s not even close. Penn St and Mich are 2nd and 3rd in the B1G. I read that the B1G championship this year was 90-10 osu/wisky.

You're correct. I should've said outside of the top tier 2-3 teams. I wasn't even thinking OSU in terms of Gator Bowl or that level since they're always seemingly at either a playoff game or the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: ElMeson
For the record, Tennessee fans and administrators fought to get a Florida bowl after it was announced that we would be in the Music City Bowl, which is in our own state. The fans would've traveled even if it meant driving or flying through an extra state

For the record, Tennessee fans and administrators fought to get a Florida bowl after it was announced that we would be in the Music City Bowl, which is in our own state. The fans would've traveled even if it meant driving or flying through an extra state
It was a joke. The premise being that neither IU or Vol fans like traveling through Kentucky.

Reactions: 76-1 and Sope Creek
That is true. Unfortunately I didn't have much choice as a kid growing up in Southern KY :(
Where?

We visited my paternal grandfather in Pleasant Hill (e.g. Shaker Village), outside of Bowling Green, before the area became a tourist destination. https://shakervillageky.org/plan/

Used to drive through Wickliffe on the way to see other family in the bootheel. This song became a favorite when it came out:

Reactions: red hornet and td75
We could see the TVA plant from my grandmother’s home on the little bend of the Green River. It was years after I heard that song before I put together what we were looking at. Growing up each visit had a discussion with the worried sisters wondering if the strip mines would take the farm.

Our family still has a log cabin across the river on the Logansport side of the big bend.

Where?

We visited my paternal grandfather in Pleasant Hill (e.g. Shaker Village), outside of Bowling Green, before the area became a tourist destination. https://shakervillageky.org/plan/

Used to drive through Wickliffe on the way to see other family in the bootheel. This song became a favorite when it came out:

Nebraska travels better than Michigan.
Yes they do but who wouldn't want to gtfo of nebraska :) I went to the 1996 arizona state-nebraska game in Tempe. The corn took over the stadium. It was 60-70% corn fans and they got beat it was great!

Reactions: Shocker0
Where?

I should've specified clearer but Southeast Kentucky near the state line. South of Somerset/Lake Cumberland

Reactions: Sope Creek
I'm down here in the Eddyville area and we always go right through Paradise and see the TVA plant off to the south on the Green River when traveling back to Jeffersonville.

The Muhlenberg county area has a very rich history with not only coal, but professional musicians. Merle Travis, The Everly brothers and others all originated in that area.

Western Kentucky is interesting in that there are cypress swamps down here that resemble Louisiana or Florida. Having been to Eastern Kentucky to visit my mom's side, there are similarities and differences between the two. Most people down here are good folks, but it is cliquish.

I'm down here in the Eddyville area and we always go right through Paradise and see the TVA plant off to the south on the Green River when traveling back to Jeffersonville.

The Muhlenberg county area has a very rich history with not only coal, but professional musicians. Merle Travis, The Everly brothers and others all originated in that area.

Western Kentucky is interesting in that there are cypress swamps down here that resemble Louisiana or Florida. Having been to Eastern Kentucky to visit my mom's side, there are similarities and differences between the two. Most people down here are good folks, but it is cliquish.
You aren't in the Eddyville prison, are you? :D

Shocker- hats off to Vols fans - you guys travel very well - many at our hotel as well - ALL wearing some type of Vols gear[some not so flattering but hey] - everyone I met was very pleasant - no rubbing it in the next day either - should be proud of your program - as to GaTechVol - I guessed crowd at 65-70% Vols - IU easily had 15k there,maybe approaching 20k - fwiw...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT