ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Bowl cost IU $44K

In a multi-millionaire dollar sport, $44k in the red for that Bowl Game was worth it by a mile. The way I look at it, does it elevate the program in terms of extra practices, exposure, & recruiting in a manner similar to if they had paid an assistant an additional $44k without a bowl game? 100% yes.

If it's considered an investment to hopefully move toward better bowl games in the future, ticket sales for home games, and merchandise sales will more than make up for this one.

In a multi-millionaire dollar sport, $44k in the red for that Bowl Game was worth it by a mile. The way I look at it, does it elevate the program in terms of extra practices, exposure, & recruiting in a manner similar to if they had paid an assistant an additional $44k without a bowl game? 100% yes.

If it's considered an investment to hopefully move toward better bowl games in the future, ticket sales for home games, and merchandise sales will more than make up for this one.

Damn skippy.

We still came out way ahead, in my opinion. Despite the agony at the end, it was an entertaining, competitive game with solid TV ratings, and attendance was among the highest of all the bowl games. It was definitely good for the IU brand.
lol

"in the red"?? IU's bowl share for the conference was 8 million plus. We are hardly in the red for anything.

"in the red"?? IU's bowl share for the conference was 8 million plus. We are hardly in the red for anything.
I didn't mean to imply that IU was in red for football at all. I was referencing this specific game. Like, if IU hadn't made a bowl game it still would've shared conference bowl money. I only meant that this particular game wasn't a money maker purely on its own as stated in the article. And I have exactly ZERO problem with it, I actually think it's a huge net positive.

I think we personally spent 10% of that attending the event. It was a blast other than the last 5 minutes. 20K IU fans showed up and the IU-VClub events were well done.

IU did things first class and basically broke even.

I think we personally spent 10% of that attending the event. It was a blast other than the last 5 minutes. 20K IU fans showed up and the IU-VClub events were well done.

IU did things first class and basically broke even.
$44K is a rounding error.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT