ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Barta is Clueless

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
Here's CFP committee chairman Gary Barta's "logic" for why IU has been locked at No. 12 in the CFP rankings the past two weeks:

"Well, the committee has really thought highly of Indiana. They only have one loss and that's to Ohio State. They started off slow in that game but came back. Their defense has been strong. And then you always wonder when a team loses their leader, their quarterback, how will a team react to that, when they lost Michael Penix but Jack Tuttle came in and did a really nice job. The committee feels good about Indiana. They are 6-1 now.

When you look at some of the people that we compare around them, they don't have any Top 25 wins and none of their wins are against a team with a winning record. So that certainly was considered as one of the variables."

We have three wins against teams that were ranked in the AP Top 25 when we played them. I believe that ties us with Alabama for most wins against Top 25 teams in the country. Yes, the records and rankings of those teams suffered when we beat them, but that's what happens to teams when they lose.

I'm sorry, but this CFP ranking system is nonsense. We play in a tough P5 conference and, as someone else said, we've run the gauntlet this season against quality competition with no bye week. Our only "negative" is a one-score loss to the #4 team in the country in a game where we destroyed the Heisman hopes of their star QB. Maybe that's what we're being punished for. (I'm being facetious - - kind of - - with that last comment).

Reactions: mk23 and BayernFan
Here's CFP committee chairman Gary Barta's "logic" for why IU has been locked at No. 12 in the CFP rankings the past two weeks:

"Well, the committee has really thought highly of Indiana. They only have one loss and that's to Ohio State. They started off slow in that game but came back. Their defense has been strong. And then you always wonder when a team loses their leader, their quarterback, how will a team react to that, when they lost Michael Penix but Jack Tuttle came in and did a really nice job. The committee feels good about Indiana. They are 6-1 now.

When you look at some of the people that we compare around them, they don't have any Top 25 wins and none of their wins are against a team with a winning record. So that certainly was considered as one of the variables."

We have three wins against teams that were ranked in the AP Top 25 when we played them. I believe that ties us with Alabama for most wins against Top 25 teams in the country. Yes, the records and rankings of those teams suffered when we beat them, but that's what happens to teams when they lose.

I'm sorry, but this CFP ranking system is nonsense. We play in a tough P5 conference and, as someone else said, we've run the gauntlet this season against quality competition with no bye week. Our only "negative" is a one-score loss to the #4 team in the country in a game where we destroyed the Heisman hopes of their star QB. Maybe that's what we're being punished for. (I'm being facetious - - kind of - - with that last comment).

As bad as Iowa State's ranking is, being ranked below Georgia right now is a bigger tragedy. Georgia, like Indiana, beat two top 25 teams earlier in the year, Tennessee and Auburn. Tennessee (now 2-6) and Auburn now 5-4, no wins against a team with a winning record) are now no longer ranked. IU in a similar boat, beat ranked Penn State and ranked earlier in the year, is being penalized because those teams are no longer considered "good". How is the same logic not applied to Georgia, other than "its Georgia"? What's even worse is that Georgia has two losses, compared to IU's one, and both were by double digits. I don't get it.

I'm not expecting IU to be in consideration for the 4 team playoff, but IU is getting absolutely BONED, when it comes to potentially playing in a NY6 Bowl which should be the absolute goal. IU's going to get a ranked opponent next week assuming they can play against either Iowa or Northwestern, but considering the fact the committee just dropped Wisconsin after being ranked 16th I have very little to doubt the same would happen if we were to beat Iowa or Northwestern. Clearly the committee doesn't think very highly of Indiana if Wisconsin went from 16th to unranked after a TD loss last week.

Barta doesn't want IU football to replace or surpass his Hawkeyes in the Big Ten pecking order is my opinion.

I've ALWAYS been very skeptical about this conference's true intentions regarding Indiana Football...They've been ok with iu bball having success, but waking up the monster that could be Indiana Football seems to be very personal to the rest of the Big Ten. I've always felt this way.

Barta doesn't want IU football to replace or surpass his Hawkeyes in the Big Ten pecking order is my opinion.

I've ALWAYS been very skeptical about this conference's true intentions regarding Indiana Football...They've been ok with iu bball having success, but waking up the monster that could be Indiana Football seems to be very personal to the rest of the Big Ten. I've always felt this way.
I agree.

So will the conference deliver the ultimate "screw you, IU" today by changing the rules to allow Ohio State to play for the conference championship despite the fact that they're a game short of the requisite six games?

Our one hope might be the growing speculation that the CFP would still select Ohio State irrespective of whether they play in the B1G championship game.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Great post! I believe we must stay awake a few years before we get the respect we want. It'll be a journey but it will be fun! Go Hoosiers!

Part of the reason the teams we have played have losing records is because...wait for it...we beat them. Take that L away and then look at who has a winning record and who moves to .500.

This is about an Iowa AD working to passive aggressively hold IU down while patting them on the head. FU

Part of the reason the teams we have played have losing records is because...wait for it...we beat them. Take that L away and then look at who has a winning record and who moves to .500.

This is about an Iowa AD working to passive aggressively hold IU down while patting them on the head. FU

Total Conflict of Interest on the part of Barta...

We need to Remember this when we play Iowa...

It’s not just coincidence that Iowa moved up 2 spots after beating a bad Illinois team and IU beats a ranked team on the road and gets zero respect. Also find it good ole boy - taking care of Iowa State which makes zero sense as well.
I hope Iowa gets blasted by Wisconsin this week. The guy has no credibility

That SEC short was ok, but after the way your program reacted to getting jobbed by the B1G I think it would be more accurate for you to wear a “Kick Me” sign.
I hate to agree with you, but you are 100% right.

We just sit back and take it. I'm ashamed of the AD and his politically correct bullshit.

Reactions: IU73 and mk23

100% agree it can be argued we ruined their seasons. Have seen many times before when a tough loss such as the PSU loss destroys a team and sends them on a tailspin. Also look at the betting lines in those games IU was higher ranked but were underdogs and in most cases were double digit dogs and lost by 7 to OSU won the rest. Georgia on the other lost by 17 to Alabama not really close lost by 16 to Florida not that close. Iowa State lost Louisiana non power 5 and KState who gave up 63 points to Texas. Oklahoma 2 losses. Who has Miami beaten? They lost to Clemson by a bunch. Squeeked by a few teams. Cincinnati who have they beaten?

It’s not just coincidence that Iowa moved up 2 spots after beating a bad Illinois team and IU beats a ranked team on the road and gets zero respect. Also find it good ole boy - taking care of Iowa State which makes zero sense as well.
I hope Iowa gets blasted by Wisconsin this week. The guy has no credibility

Actually..., I hope Iowa wins big...🤔 Then... the next weekend..., I want to see us finally put together a complete game against Iowa on Both sides of the ball and send Barta a message he cant ignore... 😡😤😣

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT