ADVERTISEMENT

Garland

There has been an explosion of growth in the urban core. Downtown Bloomington is beautiful and only getting better. I would much rather deal with the problems of traffic congestion than a declining tax base and urban blight.

The "core" has always been dynamic, B-town has never suffered from urban blight and with IU in town the tax base is pretty much bulletproof. You must be new in town.

The "core" has always been dynamic, B-town has never suffered from urban blight and with IU in town the tax base is pretty much bulletproof. You must be new in town.

Uh, I was born and raised in Bloomington. And yes there has been blight.

Happy students? Draft Net has Garland ranked 15th and Romeo ranked 4th for the 2019 draft. There's a chance these 2 won't be college students for even a year.

Given his size (or lack thereof), it's a reasonable assumption that DG may need an extra offseason/sophomore campaign to bulk up before going pro, regardless of where he lands; then again, he could have a monster freshman season and prove me wrong.

And for those throwing shade at Nashville, here are some light reading suggestions:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petert...-and-its-not-just-the-predators/#6ee517b37a58

https://patch.com/tennessee/nashvil...st-place-live-u-s-news-80-spots-ahead-memphis

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...t-these-things-why-nashville-is-the-best-city

Reactions: KyDore
Given his size (or lack thereof), it's a reasonable assumption that DG may need an extra offseason/sophomore campaign to bulk up before going pro, regardless of where he lands; then again, he could have a monster freshman season and prove me wrong.

And for those throwing shade at Nashville, here are some light reading suggestions:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petert...-and-its-not-just-the-predators/#6ee517b37a58

https://patch.com/tennessee/nashvil...st-place-live-u-s-news-80-spots-ahead-memphis

https://www.thrillist.com/entertain...t-these-things-why-nashville-is-the-best-city

I know which one I would want to be in if I was 18 or 19 years old again

Uh, I was born and raised in Bloomington. And yes there has been blight.

Define "blight" if you please. Been to over 50 countries and 49 states and if Bloomington experienced anything akin to blight can't wait to hear how you characterize the rest of the country/world.

Nashville>Bloomington and not even close as far as cities go.

I'm not sure how one can compare the two cities. One is a major, metropolitan area. The other, a small town. Given these differences, there will be inherent pro's and con's to each. It's not like we're talking about Indianapolis versus Nashville.

McHoop

Last edited:
If Bryce Drew is the coach he looks to be then he likely won't be there that long either.

I am not throwing shade at Nashville. Just saying I don't think happy students has much to do with these 2 guys decisions. They will go wherever it suits their basketball needs and probably won't be long wherever they go. Bryce Drew or Archie would be great coaches to play for. Players will start to look at the g-League as a solid alternative to college especially if they are making a million a year.

My suggestion is that a Nashville boy whose mom works for Vanderbilt who has high school athlete friends signing with Vanderbilt, who has a great relationship with Bryce Drew, and who would be happy to play alongside 5* freshman power forward Simi Shittu (if that happens) could reasonably choose Vanderbilt over IU (and UK, Duke and UNC). It really isn't that far-fetched (or "ignorant") in this instance (or other situations where there is a fit).

Whoa! How dare you come over here sounding all plain-spoken and rational?! All Volunteer-types and their ilk (e.g., Commodores) best be on their knees bowing in a northwesterly direction when addressing the Cream & Crimson faithful...'tis but gospel written here (ask anyone) and objectivity has nothing to do with it.

Good luck to you and yours.

From a basketball perspective, there is no comparison between IU and Vanderbilt. We have the better coaching staff, facilities, strength and conditioning staff, and conference. If Darius goes to Vanderbilt it is for emotional/personal reasons.

Jesus Christ, I didn't say Bloomington experienced third world blight, but if you don't think there weren't abandoned properties and derelict buildings in parts of the city then you are wrong. Most of those underused sites have been cleaned up and replaced with nice residential and commercial buildings which led to my initial comment.

Every city in the world has "abandoned properties and derelict buildings". Calling it "blight" in Bloomington to try and support a point borders on hysterical.

My issue was/is with your Chamber of Commerce-type assertion that bigger is better and that Bloomington is better off now that it's well on its way to being a sprawling clusterf*ck of chain stores and condomania. Had much more character and tranquility before - no way that a couple fewer vacant lots was remotely worth the trade-offs that have been/are being made. Thus do I imagine. Peace.

Who is ready for the season to start so we can stop arguing about whose city is better, big heads (is that what they are called?), player intros, "forwards"and expert opinions about 17 year olds college preferences? First game cannot come soon enough! Yes, I know I don't have to read every thread...but I can't help myself. Lol

We are talking about a top 10 recruit, of course everything associated with basketball will outweigh most other factors. He's going to school to get to the league, not to become a professor. If he picks Vandy, it's definitely an emotional pick due to his family and it's not because Nashville is a city and Vandy has great academics. More than likely, he will only attend 4 semesters at Vandy and he would take a lot of electives during those years to focus on hoops.

One is a city of 684,000 people. The other has 84,000. Apples and oranges comparison.
One's a college town and one is a very nice city. They are going to college right? They aren't going to be 21 while in college and Nashville isn't nearly as much fun underage. It's about staying home if he picks Vandy.

Reactions: hoosierdug
I do not like some of our arguments for IU here: a top athlete should not care about academics, only the basketball team. It makes me feel like we are UK (or UNC) fans.

IU is a great university with many excellent programs. Vanderbilt is a great university with many excellent programs. Bloomington is an amazing town with disproportionate high culture and great food (I was there as an adult, not a student... not a big fan of the party scene). I do not know Nashville, but I am sure it is a fantastic city.

Garland is just one lucky young man with great choices. We should all just be jealous that we do not have these same opportunities!

Reading too closely into his comments, he used the word "possibly" when discussing the possibility of playing with Langford at IU, while he used the word "hopefully" when discussing the possibility of playing with Langford at Vanderbilt.
Do you consider that good or bad?

I consider that bad... almost as if they are all waiting for Simisola Shittu to commit to Vandy and then Garland and Romeo next. Kind of sounds like they are all hoping to all play together. Would make them immediate contenders.

Figures that we would lose out on two top ten recruits to a school like Vanderbilt with zero tradition and minimal fan support. Thanks Fred Glass for keeping around Tom Crean for so long that he drove our brand into the ground.

I will point out that I believe Darius was simply reciting the recruiting pitch of each school, not his personal thoughts.

I consider that bad... almost as if they are all waiting for Simisola Shittu to commit to Vandy and then Garland and Romeo next. Kind of sounds like they are all hoping to all play together. Would make them immediate contenders.
I took it as that was the sales pitch from Vandy and not what Garland said about getting those two other players.

Last edited:
Lol. You take everything as negative. The sky is always falling. Jesus. Have a beer and let this play out. Every national analyst has said this is 50/50 and not decided yet. We’re going into a dead period next week, so I would suspect a decision. That should also be before Simi makes his commitment.

Reactions: IUgradman
Sorry, I’m not trying to be Negative. Just trying to look at things on both sides of the court. Hey at least if I look at it on the wrong side and then they both commit to IU my frown will turn upside down!!

Reading too closely into his comments, he used the word "possibly" when discussing the possibility of playing with Langford at IU, while he used the word "hopefully" when discussing the possibility of playing with Langford at Vanderbilt.

I take that in he feels Langford wants to go to IU and Garland has to decide if he wants to go there and play with him and that Garland wants to go to Vandy, but would hope Langford would join him there.

Reactions: Hoosier Manic
Sorry, I’m not trying to be Negative. Just trying to look at things on both sides of the court. Hey at least if I look at it on the wrong side and then they both commit to IU my frown will turn upside down!!
He also said they when referring to Vandy so that doesn't sound too promising for them right? Lol

Bingo!

I take that in he feels Langford wants to go to IU and Garland has to decide if he wants to go there and play with him and that Garland wants to go to Vandy, but would hope Langford would join him there.
I agree. My gut tells me we will get Langford, and Garland will go to Vandy. I’d be happy with that. Devonte Green and Langford would be very good together next year.

Reactions: mazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT