ADVERTISEMENT

Garland

If Vandy would some how pull off getting Garland, Romeo and Shittu it would make you wonder how they could get these type of recruits.

Combine the quality of the city of Nashville, the friendliness of Bryce Drew and the quality of the education and suggest another school whose total of city/coach/academics is better. If it is all about the number of blindly loyal fans who'll show up and scream for you then it is an entirely different analysis ....... and the best of the bunch who are all about that end up in Lexington. Vandy has huge untapped basketball potential and maybe Bryce Drew is the guy who can realize that potential. Garland, Shittu and Langford may want to build something?

Combine the quality of the city of Nashville, the friendliness of Bryce Drew and the quality of the education and suggest another school whose total of city/coach/academics is better. If it is all about the number of blindly loyal fans who'll show up and scream for you then it is an entirely different analysis ....... and the best of the bunch who are all about that end up in Lexington. Vandy has huge untapped basketball potential and maybe Bryce Drew is the guy who can realize that potential. Garland, Shittu and Langford may want to build something?

IU plays in a much tougher conference and has a much higher national profile, better facilities, far better fan support, and a large alumni base that former players have used to build a post basketball career. We have a good recruiting class already coming in so there will be talent on the roster to complement Darius and Romeo.

Also, Archie is four years younger than Drew and a far more accomplished coach.

IU plays in a much tougher conference and has a much higher national profile, better facilities, far better fan support, and a large alumni base that former players have used to build a post basketball career. We have a good recruiting class already coming in so there will be talent on the roster to complement Darius and Romeo.

Again, if a player only cares about facilities, rabid fans, one-and-done teammates, and more rabid fans to "take care of him later," then there are Kentucky, Kansas and UNC. My point is simply that some players may find that there is more to the world. Others are driven only by their desire to feed their egos through being worshipped by rapid fan bases (who are devastatingly cruel when the player underperforms). Not being original here, but different strokes for different folks. The city of Nashville is a tremendous draw and Vanderbilt students are #1 for happiness.

Reactions: PhilipVU94
Again, if a player only cares about facilities, rabid fans, one-and-done teammates, and more rabid fans to "take care of him later," then there are Kentucky, Kansas and UNC. My point is simply that some players may find that there is more to the world. Others are driven only by their desire to feed their egos through being worshipped by rapid fan bases (who are devastatingly cruel when the player underperforms). Not being original here, but different strokes for different folks. The city of Nashville is a tremendous draw and Vanderbilt students are #1 for happiness.

IU is not some trash university. No school in the Big Ten is. Our fanbase is not devastatingly cruel if a kid underperforms.

I don't know, I think having a strong homecourt advantage and playing schools like Duke and Louisville out of conference in addition to Big Ten teams is more appealing than going to Mississippi State on a Tuesday in January.

How many fans did Vanderbilt average at home games last year? IU was 9th in attendance even with a shitty team. Silly me, but one would think kids would want to play in front of a full house.

Just saying, one of those guys found out something to make all these guys start changing their picks when most had him at IU... signing period starts the 8th and Garland is committing and signing between the 8th and the 15th and all of a sudden the picks start changing this close to signing period... like i said, I believe someone knows something.

IU is not some trash university. No school in the Big Ten is.

I don't want to distract from the import of the thread but felt compelled to weigh in against the notion that no reasonable player would choose Vanderbilt when he could go to a "basketball factory." I made the point that some players have less egocentric values.

Personally, I hold IU's and its conference's academic reputation in high regard. It used to be that only Florida and Vanderbilt met the academic requirements from the SEC for potential admission to that conference. I hope that every player choosing between UK, Kansas and IU chooses IU. And, I hope that every player choosing between Vanderbilt and somewhere else chooses Vanderbilt (and think that there are supporting reasons for doing so).

Last edited:
Just saying, one of those guys found out something to make all these guys start changing their picks when most had him at IU... signing period starts the 8th and Garland is committing and signing between the 8th and the 15th and all of a sudden the picks start changing this close to signing period... like i said, I believe someone knows something.
Well Garland himself told Evan Daniels LAST NIGHT he hasn't made a decision. Daniels also mentioned he truly believed people are just guessing at this point. Calm down. Let it play out.

Robert Johnson's picks (including JM's pick) all changed to UNC just days before and day of his announcement. He chose IU. CB is all speculation and seriously doubt anyone outside Garland's family knows anything... including AAU and HS coach.

I was thinking if by chance we lose out on both Garland and Romeo where do we turn to next. It seems like we have put everything into these two and don't have a backup plan. I would hope we could wait until the spring to see if there are coaching changes and flip recruits. We also could look for a grad transfer and save the scholarship for the 2019 class.

I was thinking if by chance we lose out on both Garland and Romeo where do we turn to next. It seems like we have put everything into these two and don't have a backup plan. I would hope we could wait until the spring to see if there are coaching changes and flip recruits. We also could look for a grad transfer and save the scholarship for the 2019 class.

Save for 2019 is my best guess. Though it may depend on the development of Devante Green this year.

Robert Johnson's picks (including JM's pick) all changed to UNC just days before and day of his announcement. He chose IU. CB is all speculation and seriously doubt anyone outside Garland's family knows anything... including AAU and HS coach.
I also remember all the picks for Theo Pinson right up to his decision was for IU and he picked IU. I also wonder when they talk about the percentages for these guys picks how accurate are they. It is easier if they just take your last pick right before the decision. I would look how many times they changed their minds to see if they actually know what they are talking about.

I also remember all the picks for Theo Pinson right up to his decision was for IU and he picked IU. I also wonder when they talk about the percentages for these guys picks how accurate are they. It is easier if they just take your last pick right before the decision. I would look how many times they changed their minds to see if they actually know what they are talking about.

That is correct. I totally forgot about the TP pick. JB was going to UK per them until just hours before he announced. Lol

Maybe Garland wants to start right away. Not sure what Vandy has but D Green looks pretty good and will be a JR. Robert P. is coming too. Maybe a little too much comp for playing time? Just speculating..
Go Hoosiers!

Maybe Garland wants to start right away. Not sure what Vandy has but D Green looks pretty good and will be a JR. Robert P. is coming too. Maybe a little too much comp for playing time? Just speculating..
Go Hoosiers!
I doubt a 5 star player would worry about playing time or competition because he would feel like he would be better.

Reactions: IUgradman

ummm... Green has three years to go and Phinisee is coming in next season... if he's better than Green all the better... the world will not end for IU if they don't get either Garland or Langford... Everybody relax... aren't Garland and Langford one-and-done's anyways? It will not bother me to miss on either of these two... but will welcome them if they decide to join CAM and the Hoosiers...

Reactions: mobilehoosier
"Put everything into these two"? What are you talking about? Even without them IU has a pretty good class. Sure, it would be a great class with them but considering they'll both likely only play in college for one season, missing on them won't hurt IU too much in the long term.

ummm... Green has three years to go and Phinisee is coming in next season... if he's better than Green all the better... the world will not end for IU if they don't get either Garland or Langford... Everybody relax... aren't Garland and Langford one-and-done's anyways? It will not bother me to miss on either of these two... but will welcome them if they decide to join CAM and the Hoosiers...
I agree there is no reason to worry. To me without these two we are a tournament team who could win a couple of tournament games. With both of them I think we are a championship contender if they stayed a couple of years. I am not stressing out on what a couple of 18 year old will decide about the college plans.

"Put everything into these two"? What are you talking about? Even without them IU has a pretty good class. Sure, it would be a great class with them but considering they'll both likely only play in college for one season, missing on them won't hurt IU too much in the long term.
I know we already have a very good class but saying after we got those commitments we pretty much narrowed the recruiting to these two players.

Just like when Vandy people reported Garland had committed to IU after HH. Calm down.....

Not saying he is going to IU, but this is 50/50 IMO right now.

It will be interesting to see if Miller makes it down south in the next few days or if Drew stops by again (after the visit today).

If he wants to go to a nice city there are dozens of better school choices than Vanderbilt. Also, Vanderbilt isn't a Tier 1 or 2 program and never will be. Trying to disparage IU and claim Vanderbilt is a better school choice, is ignorant. Quit trolling.

Last edited:
Another crystal ball for Vandy. I still think we have a great shot at Romeo though.

If he wants to go to a nice city there are dozens of better schools than Vanderbilt. Also, Vanderbilt isn't a Tier 1 or 2 program and never will be. Trying to disparage IU and claim Vanderbilt is a better school choice, is ignorant. Quit trolling.

Right, and it's not like Bloomington is a dump. It is one of the few cities in Indiana with a healthy population growth rate. There is a lot of culture and nightlife in B-Town.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Another crystal ball for Vandy. I still think we have a great shot at Romeo though.

Those 247 Predictions mean little to nothing.....

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitu...twood-Academy-143647/CurrentExpertPredictions

Vandy has got 5 in the last 2 days.....and 3 of them are from the Devils Den. Its some information a DUKE insider got and they are all sharing it.

Just relax and let it play out. And don't use 247 until the day before or day of the announcement.

Those 247 Predictions mean little to nothing.....

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitu...twood-Academy-143647/CurrentExpertPredictions

Vandy has got 5 in the last 2 days.....and 3 of them are from the Devils Den. Its some information a DUKE insider got and they are all sharing it.

Just relax and let it play out. And don't use 247 until the day before or day of the announcement.
When is the announcement? Couldn’t today be the day before the announcement?

Right, and it's not like Bloomington is a dump. It is one of the few cities in Indiana with a healthy population growth rate. There is a lot of culture and nightlife in B-Town.

I agree. The poster has either never been to Bloomington or spent very little time there. It's one of the best college cities in the U.S. Also, big city campuses are overrated. Students want to hang out with other students and there is always plenty of fun things to do on a campus with 40,000 students.

Last edited:

Maybe we can find a forward somewhere ;)...

I agree. The poster has either never been to Bloomington or spent very little time there. It's one of the best college cities in the U.S. Also, big city campuses are overrated. Students want to hang out with other students and there is always plenty of fun things to do on a campus with 40,000 students.

Not to be misunderstood, I really like IU and would have been pleased if my child had decided to attend IU. I've been to Bloomington for several weekends over the years and it may very well be the best "college town" in country. I would not argue against that premise.

My point in all of this is not to disparage IU in any way, for there is almost nothing about IU to fault and I would not do so. My suggestion is that a Nashville boy whose mom works for Vanderbilt who has high school athlete friends signing with Vanderbilt, who has a great relationship with Bryce Drew, and who would be happy to play alongside 5* freshman power forward Simi Shittu (if that happens) could reasonably choose Vanderbilt over IU (and UK, Duke and UNC). It really isn't that far-fetched (or "ignorant") in this instance (or other situations where there is a fit).

As far as happy students, here is an unbiased review : https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=happiest-students

FWIW, Vanderbilt came in 1st in the Princeton Review's "happiest students" rankings in 2014, 2015 and 2017 and finished 2nd in 2016. I'm surprised that no Big Ten school or blue-blood basketball programs made the top-20. This demonstrates that basketball history or being a great college town are only one of many elements (and maybe not highly significant) of the college experience.

In closing, I love IU! It is a great choice for anyone. But, there are other great choices, too. Peace

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
Happy students? Draft Net has Garland ranked 15th and Romeo ranked 4th for the 2019 draft. There's a chance these 2 won't be college students for even a year.

The odds are at least one if not two of these guys are one-and-done. Won't build much.

You understand how it works, right? He can change his pick pretty much up to the last minute before a commitment. It’s not like guys have info on everyone and they’re lobbying picks monthis in advance and getting them right. Now, not saying he doesn’t have info, but to use his crystal ball stats as an indicator of he validity of his info is dumb.

Persish forbid anyone citing the past as prologue.

Right, and it's not like Bloomington is a dump. It is one of the few cities in Indiana with a healthy population growth rate.

"Healthy population growth"? As if urban sprawl, snarly traffic and malls in every direction is healthy. Virtually no one who lived in Bloomington 30 years ago would choose today's version over that one...

Persish forbid anyone citing the past as prologue.

"Healthy population growth"? As if urban sprawl, snarly traffic and malls in every direction is healthy. Virtually no one who lived in Bloomington 30 years ago would choose today's version over that one...

There has been an explosion of growth in the urban core. Downtown Bloomington is beautiful and only getting better. I would much rather deal with the problems of traffic congestion than a declining tax base and urban blight.

Reactions: 91alum91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT