ADVERTISEMENT

Garland

He's not going to UK, he won't commit there when they want Quickley over Garland. I read somewhere the offer to Garland was to put pressure on Quickley to commit. Seems most places have it between IU, Vandy, and Duke. Don't quote me on that though, lol.

He's not going to UK, he won't commit there when they want Quickley over Garland. I read somewhere the offer to Garland was to put pressure on Quickley to commit. Seems most places have it between IU, Vandy, and Duke. Don't quote me on that though, lol.

They can play two point guards at once.

And, he's bringing in two 5 star small forwards this year so it's not like he won;t bring in studs at the same position in the same class.

Sounds like he's going to UK or Duke, in that order….that is, if we are to read a lot between the lines.

IU definitely needs a ball handler though.

If we land him we land Romeo IMO.

I've been saying the same thing.

UK is prioritizing Quickley.

Duke is after Tre Jones.

For such a short period of time to build relationships, things couldn't have aligned better than they have for Archie. Really interested to see how it all plays out.

Go Hoosiers!!

I've been saying the same thing.

UK is prioritizing Quickley.

Duke is after Tre Jones.

For such a short period of time to build relationships, things couldn't have aligned better than they have for Archie. Really interested to see how it all plays out.

Go Hoosiers!!
And the RJ Barrett(?) kid from Canada reclassified that will put a guard on one more team too

edit- my mistake, not a guard, but one more scholarship going out still.

Quickley will commit soon and the arrow is pointing at Kentucky, I think Garland has a top 3 (unannounced) of Indiana, Duke, and Vanderbilt. I also think that Romeo has a favorite of Indiana and Louisville. If we get one we may get both !

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
And the RJ Barrett(?) kid from Canada reclassified that will put a guard on one more team too

edit- my mistake, not a guard, but one more scholarship going out still.
Barrett could be played at the guard spot; likely a SG in the NBA. Depends on the site, but some list him as Shooting Guard right now.

Phinisee and Romeo would be a great end to a class. Garland can come if he wants too, but with all the top recruits we're on for 2019 (Hurt, Brooks, Watford, Stewart etc.) I feel we should at least save one.

some trivia.

when RMK was hired at IU, iirc he brought in Green and Laz for his initial class in his 1st yr here. (fresh not eligible then).

that would correspond to the 2017 class for Miller.

RMK's next class after being here a yr, (would correspond to Miller's 2018 class), was Buckner, May, Wilkerson, Abernathy. (can't remember which yr Kamstra was, the Green/Laz class or the Buckner class).

point being, the class RMK recruited during his initial season at IU, was arguably his best class ever at IU.

some trivia.

when RMK was hired at IU, iirc he brought in Green and Laz for his initial class in his 1st yr here. (fresh not eligible then).

RMK's next class after being here a yr, (would correspond to Miller's 2018 class), was Buckner, May, Wilkerson, Abernathy. (can't remember which yr Kamstra was, the Green/Laz class or the Buckner class).

point being, the class RMK recruited during his initial season at IU, was arguably his best class ever at IU.
Jim Crews was the fifth member of the Fall, 1972 class.

some trivia.

Pretty sure Kamstra was part of the '75 class. I know he was from Frankin just a couple of years before the back-to-back state finalist teams the Grizzly Cubs had.

Must have mixed him up with somebody else. Hard to believe it's been damn near 50 years.
The guy Knight tried hard to get from near Franklin was John Garrett (from Greenwood, I think), who ended up at Purdue.

Edit: RMK tried hard to get JG, but he was from Peru, not Greenwood.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Kamstra was part of the '75 class. I know he was from Frankin just a couple of years before the back-to-back state finalist teams the Grizzly Cubs had.

JK graduated in 1975. He was CFO for Cook, don't know if he is still there.

Probably. At least you and I can say we saw those guys play. Great era for IU basketball as well as high school hoops in the state.
I miss the one-class tournament like crazy.

NC hosted the regional for almost 50 years under the old format and I got to see 40 of them. Great players like Benson, Alford, Isenbsrger, Drummer, Jack Moore, Ray McCollum. Athletes like Vagas Ferguson, Trent Smock. Regular season from the NCC you had guys like Colescott, JBSr, Troy Lewis, Roy Taylor, Lyndon and Jay. I could go on and on . . . man, were those ever the days.

Reactions: BigMobe

NC hosted the regional for almost 50 years under the old format and I got to see 40 of them. Great players like Benson, Alford, Isenbsrger, Drummer, Jack Moore, Ray McCollum. Athletes like Vagas Ferguson, Trent Smock. Regular season from the NCC you had guys like Colescott, JBSr, Troy Lewis, Roy Taylor, Lyndon and Jay. I could go on and on . . . man, were those ever the days.
Of course you would like the one class tournament being from NC since you won the sectional like 30 out of 33 years. I love the one class system as well and would like it to go back to that but being a Knightstown grad we have had way more success since moving to class basketball. We won the sectional in 58 then the next won was in 87 with the one class basketball. Since we won the sectional 3 times all in a row from 04-06 and winning one regional.

Saw all of those guys, either in person or on tv. Remember Smock and Ken Mask and Jerry Sichting from Martinsville, and Kyle Macy from Peru. And Steve Risley and Stacy Toran and all those kids from Anderson High, Madison Heights and Highland. Saw Vagas Ferguson play football, too. One class was fantastic.

Of course you would like the one class tournament being from NC since you won the sectional like 30 out of 33 years. I love the one class system as well and would like it to go back to that but being a Knightstown grad we have had way more success since moving to class basketball. We won the sectional in 58 then the next won was in 87 with the one class basketball. Since we won the sectional 3 times all in a row from 04-06 and winning one regional.
Remember, Scott - I'm from the county. IUBud's Alices beat us in the '81 Final Four.

Hinkle was always electric. Alford's performance was epic during and after the game. The Risley Dickerson game...Dickerson's Dad on the court.

Yes - and you never heard us whining about the one-class tourney, either.
I rather have the one class tournament but now I really don't mind the class tournament. In those 3 runs K-town went on my nephew was on those teams and the crowds were great. I guess class basketball at the lower levels has not hurt high school basketball.

Hinkle was always electric. Alford's performance was epic during and after the game. The Risley Dickerson game...Dickerson's Dad on the court.
I remember Steve Risley (of course) and I'm assuming you're talking about Tyree Dickerson? What happened with that game?

I rather have the one class tournament but now I really don't mind the class tournament. In those 3 runs K-town went on my nephew was on those teams and the crowds were great. I guess class basketball at the lower levels has not hurt high school basketball.
Class basketball is good in some spots, but overall it's not been any better than the product it replaced. It just isn't.

Attendance had dropped in the one-class system, but that was because of options available to people for entertainment. And, for God's sake, just WHY did we have to go to 4 classes? We have 1/2 the number of schools Illinois does and have twice the amount of classes. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The IHSAA has gotten better with the tourney over the years, but the travel some teams still have to do mid-week for sectionals is ridiculous.

Class basketball is good in some spots, but overall it's not been any better than the product it replaced. It just isn't.

Attendance had dropped in the one-class system, but that was because of options available to people for entertainment. And, for God's sake, just WHY did we have to go to 4 classes? We have 1/2 the number of schools Illinois does and have twice the amount of classes. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The IHSAA has gotten better with the tourney over the years, but the travel some teams still have to do mid-week for sectionals is ridiculous.
The year we went to the semi state at Southport in 06 we played Forrest Park. Our game was a complete sellout and the environment felt like the old days at New Castle Fieldhouse. The game after ours was LN with Oden and Conley playing Terre Haute South with Armon Bassett. That game the arena was half empty and neither team had a great turnout.

The basketball DNA of the state was built around the single class tournament. The change was a terrible decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT