ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Texas (Austin Regional final)

B8 continued: Gorski with a ground-rule double to left, advancing Miller to third. Sowers grounds out to third.

End of 8th inning: Texas still leads 3-2

Agree with broadcasters - if that wall in left is just six inches taller, Miller is scoring from first and that's not a ground rule double.
Always expected more from Sowers for some reason. Expected for him to get to be a beast .

B9: Fineman singles to left. Cole Barr pinch-runs for Fineman. Bradley gets hit by pitch. Colby Stratten pinch-runs for Bradley. Walker strikes out swinging. Houston walks to load the bases.

Pitching change for Texas: Righty Chase Shugart (Texas' Friday starter) replaces McGuire.

Freshman should have bunted.

The dropped catch .. player may not lose the ball involuntarily unless in the act of transferring ball to a throw no matter how many steps he takes.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
B9 continued: Pinch-hitting for Kaletha, Sam Crail strikes out looking. Lloyd's foul ball appeared to be caught by Texas' left fielder, but they give Indiana another chance because the left fielder apparently didn't complete process of a catch. Ball left his glove as he was celebrating. Lloyd strikes out swinging.

FINAL: Indiana loses to Texas 3-2. IU's season comes to an end in the Austin regional. IU finishes the season 40-19 overall and 2-2 in the Austin regional, with losses to Texas A&M and Texas.

Texas advances to Super Regional.

B9 continued: Pinch-hitting for Kaletha, Sam Crail strikes out looking. Lloyd's foul ball appeared to be caught by Texas' left fielder, but they give Indiana another chance because the left fielder apparently didn't complete process of a catch. Ball left his glove as he was celebrating. Lloyd strikes out swinging.

FINAL: Indiana loses to Texas 3-2. IU's season comes to an end in the Austin regional. IU finishes the season 40-19 overall and 2-2 in the Austin regional, with losses to Texas A&M and Texas.

Texas advances to Super Regional.

I'm sorry, but "The Eyes of Texas" sucks......Dinah, blow my horn.

Such bs. These umps should never be able to umpire another gsme. They ring up Crail on a pitch at least a foot outside (replay obviously shows it) and then they don't count the foul ball a catch on Lloyd which was definitely a catch. Wish I knew what crail would have done if given the chance of the next pitch.

The ump called two strikes in the Crail
at bat that were well outside.

Yes, he got screwed.....and that might have played into Lloyd swinging at that last pitch.....it was outside as well.

That call perfectly illiustrates the practical difference between a 1 and 2 seed.

Last edited:
We scored in two out of 18 innings today.

TWO!

I've never seen a team so adept out of making nothing out of something.

3 K's in the final inning. Chance to not only tie, but probably win... and 3 K's.

Wish Kaletha would have been in there quite honestly. None of our pinch hitters did squat.

TWO!

3 K's in the final inning. Chance to not only tie, but probably win... and 3 K's.

Wish Kaletha would have been in there quite honestly. None of our pinch hitters did squat.
You are reaching there. Kaletha hasn't hit in 2 months. Should have taken him out long ago. And u can't count crails K, not on that pitch that would have hit a right handed batter.

You are reaching there. Kaletha hasn't hit in 2 months. Should have taken him out long ago. And u can't count crails K, not on that pitch that would have hit a right handed batter.

I don't get PHing Crail for Eustace there. Crail strikes out a lot, is a freshman, and if he does hit the ball he's far more of a DP candidate than LE.

I don't get PHing Crail for Eustace there. Crail strikes out a lot, is a freshman, and if he does hit the ball he's far more of a DP candidate than LE.
I
I have to admit, didn't get that statement so looked it up. Eustace has struck out 8 times in 34 ABs compared to crail's 10 in 41.

Pretty sure crail is a better hitter. But ur blame is all on the wrong area. Worst call of the season was that called third strike, in the worst possible time.

TWO!

agreed, for me this is basically the point--especially if you add in the earlier A & M loss. Other than that big inning this afternoon, IU really struggled to score, and left a crud-load of runners on base, in nearly the entire Regional. Which, without a Schwarber in the lineup, it simply cannot afford to do.

which begs the question: unless I'm mis-remembering, wasn't CCL's reputation at UL that of 1) a great recruiter who 2) is also an outstanding hitting coach/offensive guru? Hard to square that with the way this squad really struggled to score runs.

Oh well, guess we wait for the Draft now and then go back to the drawing board.

I

I have to admit, didn't get that statement so looked it up. Eustace has struck out 8 times in 34 ABs compared to crail's 10 in 41.

ok....but Eustace is faster,(a huge factor with 1 out and the bases loaded), has a better BA and higher OP%, and isn't a freshman.

and, shouldn't have PH for LK in the first place. Takes your best pinch runner out so when Fineman gets a hit you have to pinch run Cole Barr instead of LE. Then Cole B. nearly gets picked off 2nd (should have been, very predictable)....and you don't have Cole Barr, your best pinch hitter, available for that role later.

I think he was pissed off at LK for his bunt attempt/k, but its a little late in the year for bench therapy.

Reactions: mk23
Pretty sure crail is a better hitter. But ur blame is all on the wrong area. Worst call of the season was that called third strike, in the worst possible time.

He got pimped in his AB, no doubt........I just think it was a poor move. I expected him to strike out in that situation.

I agree...there was something awry with that umpiring crew. This coming from an ex HS ump...

Serious question...why would the crew allow the ball boy to throw balls directly to the pitcher without an inspect? Were these guys just really bad?

ADVERTISEMENT