ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Maryland (Game 1)

On the mound

For IU: Junior righty Jonathan Stiever (5-4, 2.98 ERA, 87 K, 25 BB in 13 starts/84 2/3 IP)

For Maryland: Junior right Hunter Parsons (5-2, 3.47 ERA, 60 K, 25 BB in 14 appearances/12 starts/83 IP)

Indiana batting order:

1. CF Logan Kaletha
2. 1b Matt Lloyd
3. LF Matt Gorski
4. RF Logan Sowers
5. 3b Luke Miller
6. C Ryan Fineman
7. 2b Drew Ashley
8. DH Scotty Bradley
9. SS Jeremy Houston

T1: Maryland's AJ Lee singles up the middle. Nick Dunn strikes out swinging, Lee gets caught stealing at second. Marty Costes singles to left center. Kevin Biondic strikes out swinging.

Scoreless heading into B1

T2 continued: Maryland's Justin Morris flies out to left. Taylor Wright flies out to center. Justin Vought grounds out to shortstop.

Maryland leads 2-0 heading into B2.

T3: Maryland's Lee grounds out to pitcher. Dunn singles to center. Costes strikes out swinging. Biondic walks, advancing Dunn to second. Watson strikes out swinging.

Still 2-1 Maryland heading into B3.

B3: Bradley walks. Houston flies out to right, then Bradley gets tagged out at first. Kaletha singles through the left side. Lloyd reaches first on a fielder's choice, but Kaletha is out at second.

End of 3rd inning: Still 2-1 Maryland

T4: Maryland's Jancarski strikes out looking. Morris flies out to left. Wright bunts to first. During Vought's at-bat, Wright steals second. Vought strikes out swinging.

Still 2-1 Maryland heading into B4

B4: Gorski bunts to first. Sowers hits an RBI single to center, scoring Gorski, but gets tagged out at second in the process.

Maryland and Indiana tied 2-2 with one out.

T5: Maryland's Lee hit by pitch. Dunn walks, advancing Lee to second. Costes flies out to center. Biondic grounds into a 3-6-1 double play.

Still tied 2-2 heading into B5

B5: Bradley singles up the middle. Houston's sac-bunt advances Bradley to second. Kaletha strikes out looking. Lloyd flies out to right.

End of 5th inning: Still tied 2-2

T6: Maryland's Watson walks. Jancarski strikes out swinging, but Watson steals second. Morris walks. Wright hits an RBI single through the left side, scoring Watson; Morris advanced to second but got tagged out at third. Vought flies out to left.

Maryland leads 3-2 heading into B6.

T7: Maryland's Lee doubles double the left field line. Dunn singles to right, Lee advances to third. Costes' sac-fly RBI to center scores Lee.

Maryland 4, Indiana 2 with one out

T8: Maryland's Jancarski strikes out swinging. Morris doubles to center. During Wright's at-bat, Morris advances to third on a passed ball. Wright's RBI single through the right side scores Morris.

Maryland 5, Indiana 2 with one out.

T8 continued: Maryland's Vought singles to left, advancing Wright to second. Lee strikes out looking. Dunn grounds out to the pitcher.

5-2 Maryland heading into B8

B8 continued: Gorski strikes out swinging. Sowers strikes out swinging.

HOME RUN: Indiana's Luke Miller launches his second of the night, this time a 3-run shot over the right field wall.

Indiana leads Maryland 6-5 in the bottom of the 8th with two outs

B8 continued: Benches clear after Maryland pitcher John Murphy throws right at Ryan Fineman. Murphy was ejected. Maryland catcher Justin Vought shoved Fineman.

B8 continued: Benches clear after Maryland pitcher John Murphy throws right at Ryan Fineman. Murphy was ejected. Maryland catcher Justin Vought shoved Fineman.

Only followed college baseball for a few years, but how often do the benches clear in college ball? I've never seen it before and I ask because that behavior is so frowned upon at the high school and college levels when it's obviously common in the pros when this occurs.

Forgot to add, thanks for all the updates Stu!!

Reactions: Stu Jackson
Only followed college baseball for a few years, but how often do the benches clear in college ball? I've never seen it before and I ask because that behavior is so frowned upon at the high school and college levels when it's obviously common in the pros when this occurs.

Forgot to add, thanks for all the updates Stu!!

It happened during last year's regular season series between Indiana and Maryland. But I don't think it's too common, but I've only seen it happen twice in my three seasons covering the Hoosier baseball program.

Reactions: BGunn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT