ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Louisville (Louisville Regional, Elimination Game)

Freaking ESPN3. How in the hell does the screen go blue for the most important (and maybe entertaining) pitch of the game? I'd love to have seen the exchanges.

So it happened to everybody then, not just me?

Unbelievable. End of our season on an apparent controversial call, and we'll never see a replay.

It’s hard for me to tell from this video that the pitch hit the ground. Looked to me that it bounced down off the catcher’s glove and hit the dirt. (I won’t swear by it because I can’t conclude anything by this video.) No doubt it was a low pitch.

No point bitching about it. Too many wasted scoring opportunities the preceding 8 innings.

Reactions: 82IU
You just cannot load the bases with no outs and not get any runs home. Poor execution on our part. Have to choke up and put the ball in play. Too many times this year we had great opportunities to get runs home or move guys over in scoring position and we couldnt get the job done. Hopefully Coach Mercer can get some things straightened out next year.
Still had a really decent year, just not as good as it could have been. I just think this team had the talent to make a lot of noise.
I hope we can get Bradley a redshirt as well as Kaletha and get them back next year. Not sure if either one qualifies or if they would want to come back. Not sure if Gorski would take a chance on coming back to improve his stock either. Gordon and Saalfrank seemed like locks to leave until the tournament, now I'm not so sure about Gordon at least.
We should have a solid nucleus of veterans and Freshman to work with next year. Looking forward to another good season.

You just cannot load the bases with no outs and not get any runs home. Poor execution on our part. Have to choke up and put the ball in play. Too many times this year we had great opportunities to get runs home or move guys over in scoring position and we couldnt get the job done. Hopefully Coach Mercer can get some things straightened out next year.
Still had a really decent year, just not as good as it could have been. I just think this team had the talent to make a lot of noise.
I hope we can get Bradley a redshirt as well as Kaletha and get them back next year. Not sure if either one qualifies or if they would want to come back. Not sure if Gorski would take a chance on coming back to improve his stock either. Gordon and Saalfrank seemed like locks to leave until the tournament, now I'm not so sure about Gordon at least.
We should have a solid nucleus of veterans and Freshman to work with next year. Looking forward to another good season.
Agreed.....not to score at all with bases loaded and no outs is unacceptable. And it was our 3-4-5 hitters!! Wth? But I'm not sure on the talent part. I just posted something on the draft thread....we don't have much MLB talent. Other than Saalfrank and Gorski, and even he didn't produce MLB caliber results this year.

As far a Kaletha and Bradley -- Bradley's BIO shows 2017 as a redshirt year, so he definitely has one more left. The medical redshirt says to play in 30% or fewer games, and Logan is right at 30% (18 of 60 games). So we will see about him....I would think we would get him for another year.

Reactions: 82IU

Looking at the replays....it didn't hit the dirt. The catcher's glove went down as he caught it and the glove may have touched. It was probably 8-10" off the ground when it got to the catcher. That said, it was certainly a ball.

I was one of the 'blue screen' guys who didn't see the final pitch....but I'll tell you this...I wasn't surprised by the final call. After throwing that guy out, the last pitch was going to be called a strike if it was anywhere near the strike zone.

I would think Fineman knew that before the last pitch, and I'd be pissed at him if he had let a hitable ball past; however, he couldn't have done anything with that pitch other than foul it off or hit it straight into the ground.

If the NCAA had any balls that ump would not umpire another game this year. 2 absurd calls back-to-back.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23

If we lose Saalfrank & Gordon as well as Milto, Fineman & Gorski next year, I see a worse record next year. If Mercer is what we hope he is, 2020-21 could be really good...........

All one has to do is look back to the 3rd inning when we had the bases loaded with no outs and came up empty. We had other scoring chances, but that was the one that really came back to bite us on the butt. We went 1-4 in the postseason primarily because of ineffective hitting and starting pitching. I was really disappointed in our starting pitching since I thought they would keep us in games until our hitting came around. Well, it's on to next season.

I thought that two plays were the biggest of the game:

1. Durham's AB with 0 outs and the bases loaded. He stung one down the right field line that was very close to fair. How close I couldn't tell, but it must have been a few feet or less. If that's a fair ball it's 4-2, with runners on 2nd and 0 outs......then he strikes out. Yes Barr struck out, but that was hardly surprising. Then Bradley sent a high fly ball to fairly deep RC....again, hardly surprising.

2. Bonnell's errror---Set up their unlikely 4 run inning.

I have the feeling that if we had played that UL team 10 times this year, they would have won 9, and 4 or 5 would have been games we either blew or got screwed in. Mercer obviously hates those guys, but they had our # this year.

Reactions: mk23
So it happened to everybody then, not just me?

Unbelievable. End of our season on an apparent controversial call, and we'll never see a replay.

To anyone who has not seen it........there is a video replay on Zach Osterman's twitter page....see the tweet from "Indiana on BTN",,,,,shows the pitch better and a little bit of the action that ensued.......by now, there maybe something on you tube about it(?)

I thought that two plays were the biggest of the game:

1. Durham's AB with 0 outs and the bases loaded. He stung one down the right field line that was very close to fair. How close I couldn't tell, but it must have been a few feet or less. If that's a fair ball it's 4-2, with runners on 2nd and 0 outs......then he strikes out. Yes Barr struck out, but that was hardly surprising. Then Bradley sent a high fly ball to fairly deep RC....again, hardly surprising.

2. Bonnell's errror---Set up their unlikely 4 run inning.

I have the feeling that if we had played that UL team 10 times this year, they would have won 9, and 4 or 5 would have been games we either blew or got screwed in. Mercer obviously hates those guys, but they had our # this year.
Wouldn't argue with any of those points, but really, really hope the last statement is true. Until we get a guy in here that detests that whiney dude from across the river, we are ripe for the plucking every year: Recruits and meaningful games. If Mercer actually does despise McDonnell, I see a real rivalry brewing on both fronts. And if I have to sit amongst their mostly toothless fans again any time soon...

Last edited:
I got the blue screen too. Never saw the last pitch.

IUfanBorden posted a video of it in one of the posts above, and while the pitch did not bounce it was extremely low and it wasn't even close to being borderline. What's done is done, but for a plate umpire to make a call like that in that situation is unforgiveable, and I assume they are evaluating these umps for further assignments in the tourney. That ump should not be involved in another game this season. I'm ready to move on since there is no remedy for calls like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT