ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Kentucky

CL is starting to remind me more and more of our last basketball coach. Seems to have very little “feel” for the game. Damn near every decision lately has backfired.

The thought did occur to me that this looks like a Crean team collapsing.

28-6 followed by 3-8? wtf?

I was actually ok with that bunt...we needed to tie the game and Fineman's a good bunter.

But I do think we may have the worst 3rd base coach in college baseball.
Really? We give away an out in that situation.....even if he was successful, we would have a guy on 3rd with one out. That's the best case scenario. When have we been able to get the runner in from 3rd with 1 out? I'm sure we have at some point, but it's a very small percentage. The inning before that proves my point....we get the first 2 guys on base and actually successfully bunt them over. And we can't get them in against pitchers with 5.58, 9.53 and 7.50 ERA's. Pathetic. How many times before he learns, that we just can't do it? Let him swing away....much better chance of him hitting him in with a base hit. Or even if he doesn't score on a hit, we have him at 3rd with no outs. And if he doesn't get it done (knocking him in), we have 3 chances for a base hit instead of 2. Sorry, I thought it was moronic - still do.

Really? We give away an out in that situation.....even if he was successful, we would have a guy on 3rd with one out. That's the best case scenario. When have we been able to get the runner in from 3rd with 1 out? I'm sure we have at some point, but it's a very small percentage. The inning before that proves my point....we get the first 2 guys on base and actually successfully bunt them over. And we can't get them in against pitchers with 5.58, 9.53 and 7.50 ERA's. Pathetic. How many times before he learns, that we just can't do it? Let him swing away....much better chance of him hitting him in with a base hit. Or even if he doesn't score on a hit, we have him at 3rd with no outs. And if he doesn't get it done (knocking him in), we have 3 chances for a base hit instead of 2. Sorry, I thought it was moronic - still do.

I understand your point of view, and would probably agree with it if Fineman regularly hits to the right side to move him over if he doesn't get his hit....but Fineman doesn't go to right field much. It will probably be a grounder to short or fly ball to left or a K if no hit. and a walk doesn't help much, because DP possibilities are very good with RF on 1st and Sowers hitting.

Also, Fineman is a good bunter. I wouldn't have done it with Sowers or Miller.

Now if the bunt works, all Sowers has to do his hit a grounder (if they play back) or a medium fly ball to tie the score. And if they play in, his chance of a base hit improves.

The other part of the equation was UK had been ahead the whole night, but we had some momentum and the last bat of the game. If we can tie it that late in the game, the %s are with us.

I understand your point of view, and would probably agree with it if Fineman regularly hits to the right side to move him over if he doesn't get his hit....but Fineman doesn't go to right field much. It will probably be a grounder to short or fly ball to left or a K if no hit. and a walk doesn't help much, because DP possibilities are very good with RF on 1st and Sowers hitting.

Now if the bunt works, all Sowers has to do his hit a grounder (if they play back) or a medium fly ball to tie the score. And if they play in, his chance of a base hit improves.

The other part of the equation was UK had been ahead the whole night, but we had some momentum and the last bat of the game. If we can tie it that late in the game, the %s are with us.
I’d agree there. Bunting fineman with Sowers and Miller behind him is a no brainer. The one that was questionable to me would be the sac bunt by Ashley and then letting Houston hit. I would of like to of seen a PH there for Houston. It’s a tough call considering he had 2 hits already, but I’m a law of averages guy. It was a gritty AB by Houston though, and I’d like to see him continue that at the plate.

Well, hindsight is 20/20.....but I was yelling at the tv when he was attempting to bunt (so not exactly hindsight for me), and it turned out I was right. We will never know what the alternative would have been. Could have been he grounds out to SS like you mentioned, and doesn't advance the runner. But I still like that option better, giving Fineman a chance at the base hit.

Reactions: mk23
I’d agree there. Bunting fineman with Sowers and Miller behind him is a no brainer. The one that was questionable to me would be the sac bunt by Ashley and then letting Houston hit. I would of like to of seen a PH there for Houston. It’s a tough call considering he had 2 hits already, but I’m a law of averages guy. It was a gritty AB by Houston though, and I’d like to see him continue that at the plate.
And I would bet anything if Fineman did bunt him over to 3rd, Sowers would have struck out so then there would be 2 outs with that runner on 3rd.

Reactions: mk23
And I would bet anything if Fineman did bunt him over to 3rd, Sowers would have struck out so then there would be 2 outs with that runner on 3rd.

I was curious as to how Sowers, Lloyd, and Miller were doing this year v. last year, as I was hoping for bigger things from all 3....

It's a little bit of a mixed bag, but mostly negative.

Logan--In 237 ABs in '17 he hit .291, with 19 doubles and 13 HRs, His SA was .536. He had 74 Ks and 20 walks, and had an OB% of .356. The same stats in '18 are as follows:163 ABs; .294; 8 doubles; 5 HRs; 18 RBI; .436 SA; 42 Ks; 34 BBs; .426

Luke in '17---235 ABs; .272; 15 doubles; 10 HRs; 42 RBI; .464; 44 Ks; 18 BBs; .348
'18--124 ABs, .274; 9 doubles; 7 HRs; 21 RBI; .516; 28 Ks; 7 BBs; .316

Lloyd in '17--193 ABs; .301; 16 doubles; 11 HRs; 46 RBI; .554; 60 Ks; 28 BBs; .393
'18--181 ABs; .265; 11 doubles, 1 T, 7 HRs; 32 RBIs; .453; 44 Ks; 24 BBs; .352

One odd stat really stands out to me. Lloyd & Sowers have significantly cut down their Ks, but their productivity is well down also................

Last edited:
I was curious as to how Sowers, Lloyd, and Miller were doing this year v. last year, as I was hoping for bigger things from all 3....

Logan--In 237 ABs in '17 he hit .291, with 19 doubles and 13 HRs, His SA was .536. He had 74 Ks and 20 walks, and had an OB% of .356. The same stats in '18 are as follows:163 ABs; .294; 19 doubles; 13 HRs; 18 RBI; .436 SA; 42 Ks; 34 BBs; .426

Luke in '17---235 ABs; .272; 15 doubles; 10 HRs; 42 RBI; .464; 44 Ks; 18 BBs; .348

Lloyd in '17--193 ABs; .301; 16 doubles; 11 HRs; 46 RBI; .554; 60 Ks; 28 BBs; .393
'18--181 ABs; .265; 11 doubles, 1 T, 7 HRs; 32 RBIs; .453; 44 Ks; 24 BBs; /393

One odd stat really stands out to me. Lloyd & Sowers have significantly cut down their Ks, but their productivity is well down also................

I think your HR number for sowers in 18 is wrong. Scoreboard said 5 Tuesday night

Logan--In 237 ABs in '17 he hit .291, with 19 doubles and 13 HRs, His SA was .536. He had 74 Ks and 20 walks, and had an OB% of .356. The same stats in '18 are as follows:163 ABs; .294; 8 doubles; 5 HRs; 18 RBI; .436 SA; 42 Ks; 34 BBs; .426

'18--181 ABs; .265; 11 doubles, 1 T, 7 HRs; 32 RBIs; .453; 44 Ks; 24 BBs; .352

The reason I said Sowers would probably strike out - not that he has struck out a ton, it's just it seems to me that whenever we try to play small ball and bunt a guy over, we can't come through with contact or whatever to get the run in with one out.

But I expected more out of those 3 as well. Sowers, I was hoping would pick up from where he left off in the tourney last year. His numbers went up a ton last year from the way he finished. And he had great start to the year, albeit his power numbers were down. If he can finish strong like last year, he will end up with good numbers. Let's hope he does, we need him to. Strikeouts being down....that must be what he really wanted to work on this year, but it definitely seems like it has cost him in other areas. Miller is hard to evaluate since he has missed so much time. Almost half a season at the moment compared to his at bats last year. Lloyd has just not had the year like last year. Pretty much what I meant in another thread when I said guys are hurting their draft stock in our recent tailspin. (Although, Matt's numbers have struggled from the beginning, I think.)

It's a shame the way these last 10 games have gone. But if we can turn it around and win most of the rest of the games and get on a roll in the Big Ten tourney and NCAA, it won't really matter that we had this slump. We will see. But we cannot afford to lose our last 2 series and really need to sweep either one or both.

I just posted an RBI-related note about exactly those 3 BEFORE reading this chain. Like you, I’m really pulling for these 3 guys to get hot. They’re the natural leaders of this team from an experience and talent standpoint. If this season is gonna the end the way we’d like, they simply have to get on a roll.

The reason I said Sowers would probably strike out - not that he has struck out a ton, it's just it seems to me that whenever we try to play small ball and bunt a guy over, we can't come through with contact or whatever to get the run in with one out.

But I expected more out of those 3 as well. Sowers, I was hoping would pick up from where he left off in the tourney last year. His numbers went up a ton last year from the way he finished. And he had great start to the year, albeit his power numbers were down. If he can finish strong like last year, he will end up with good numbers. Let's hope he does, we need him to. Strikeouts being down....that must be what he really wanted to work on this year, but it definitely seems like it has cost him in other areas. Miller is hard to evaluate since he has missed so much time. Almost half a season at the moment compared to his at bats last year. Lloyd has just not had the year like last year. Pretty much what I meant in another thread when I said guys are hurting their draft stock in our recent tailspin. (Although, Matt's numbers have struggled from the beginning, I think.)

It's a shame the way these last 10 games have gone. But if we can turn it around and win most of the rest of the games and get on a roll in the Big Ten tourney and NCAA, it won't really matter that we had this slump. We will see. But we cannot afford to lose our last 2 series and really need to sweep either one or both.

The 100 point decline in Sowers SA is hard to figure out....on TV they talk about the other teams pitching around him but that doesn't make lots of sense with Fineman, Miller, Bradley et al batting behind him. It would explain, however, the increase in walks. Like you, I was hoping the momentum of last year would carry on to this year. I really didn't know what to expect, however, because he was so bad early last year and so good late. I was hoping for a consistently solid performance this year, but he just seems to be the kind of guy that runs hot & cold. He really hasn't been "great" at any time this year, so here's hoping that happens between now and the end of the year.

What was odd about Miller, to me, was how poorly he was playing at third prior to his injury.

Lloyd's another guy who's down 100 points in SA. Unfortunate.

The 100 point decline in Sowers SA is hard to figure out....on TV they talk about the other teams pitching around him but that doesn't make lots of sense with Fineman, Miller, Bradley et al batting behind him. It would explain, however, the increase in walks. Like you, I was hoping the momentum of last year would carry on to this year. I really didn't know what to expect, however, because he was so bad early last year and so good late. I was hoping for a consistently solid performance this year, but he just seems to be the kind of guy that runs hot & cold. He really hasn't been "great" at any time this year, so here's hoping that happens between now and the end of the year.

What was odd about Miller, to me, was how poorly he was playing at third prior to his injury.

Lloyd's another guy who's down 100 points in SA. Unfortunate.

The only good news in any of this is they are all 3 very capable of getting hot. Let's hope that starts tonight!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT