ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Illinois State (Louisville Regional)

My point was we weren’t going to get the singles & doubles to get the job done. That would leave us with only the long ball. The comment about having to launch a few outta the park was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
When I saw the guy's stats, I actually posted we would strike out a lot and Pauly would have to shut them out. But even though I knew that going in, still hard to watch. And I never thought the guy would break a personal record. Not surprised, though.

Houston strikes out looking.

FINAL: Illinois State 8, Indiana 7.

Hoosiers will play the loser of Louisville vs. Illinois-Chicago tomorrow at 11 a.m.
I wasn't able to watch the game so I don't know what Houston was looking at, but to take three strikes without swinging in that situation? He was the final out so he basically gave us no chance to tie the score.

And just so everyone knows.....it's pretty much me that is causing this. I went to 2 games this year, the Wright State game we got thrashed and the Ball State game at Victory field. The latter, I was freezing and left before we scored all the runs in the 9th. And almost every game I have been able to watch, we lose. And for our record, that should not be the case. Today.....does anyone like to guess when I left work to drive home and watch the end? Yes, it was when we scored 5 runs. I start watching again, and Ill State takes the lead back and the only guy that I see get on base is Barr. I kid you not. Everyone should be happy to know that I work my 2nd and 3rd jobs from 8am to 10pm tomorrow, and will not be able to follow the game at all. You are all welcome.

When I saw the guy's stats, I actually posted we would strike out a lot and Pauly would have to shut them out. But even though I knew that going in, still hard to watch. And I never thought the guy would break a personal record. Not surprised, though.

I don't know how many, but a lot of pitchers had season/career highs in strikeouts against us this season.

Reactions: mk23 and Sassy61
I wasn't able to watch the game so I don't know what Houston was looking at, but to take three strikes without swinging in that situation? He was the final out so he basically gave us no chance to tie the score.
He looked fooled on the last pitch, a change up or breaking ball a little high in the zone. But seemed easily a strike to me. The first strike was the first pitch, pretty much right down the middle. I don't blame him for taking that, seeing what the guy had. I don't remember the second.

Reactions: ptrich
18 strikeouts is ridiculous,something needs to change before next year.
Put the ball in play,good things will happen.

Reactions: Sassy61
Especially with the tying run on 3rd base! I'm so pissed. I was yelling to Houston during his at bat, "prove you should be playing more!" I guess he did with the RBI in his first AB, but not that one when it really counts. And btw, idk why Houston starts the first half o the year, and Walker the second half. With each only getting a small opportunity when the other starts. I mean, they both bat about .200 so I don't get it.

We were outhit 18 to 7, but not putting the ball in play on all of those Ks played a big part in that, but I guess that is quite obvious. It was still a ton of hits that our pitching staff gave up. IMO, we need to start Saalfrank rather than Gordon in game two. He was clearly the most consistent pitcher down the stretch this season, and I would sure hate to see him go through both the B1G and NCAA tournament and not see the mound. Gee, he was the B1G Pitcher of the year.

Stayed with starter way way too long. He was lucky score was not worse. We made their starter look like Phil niekro. Most pitches were 80 mph or less.

For those of you who weren't there, be thankful you didn't have to sit next to some UL lunatics who cheered like junior high cheerleaders on every pitch and went berserk on all 18 strike outs. I've been to 5-10 games every year since the Bart opened and watched virtually every other game online, on TV, or listened to the radio broadcast. This was as disheartening a game as I can remember. We were just damn lucky their pitchers fell apart in the 5 run inning or it would have been an absolute ass beating. Kind of like the B1G tournament. Seeing Pauly left in until the game was out of control then seeing Gorski hurt just made things more nightmare-ish. Of course the UL idiots thought both of those were high entertainment.

Lastly, be thankful you didn't have to drive back 2 hours. What a waste of a perfectly good day. I'll be watching tomorrow at 11 am, but I've sure lost a whole lot of confidence in this crew. How the hell do you give up 18 hits while striking out 18 times to a Mo Valley team?

Last edited:
ISU's starter said his goal was just to keep IU off balance as much as possible. Clearly worked.
We are probably going to see the same thing against whoever UIC throws against us. The word is out--limit the fastballs and watch the Ks pile up.

Reactions: mk23
We are probably going to see the same thing against whoever UIC throws against us. The word is out--limit the fastballs and watch the Ks pile up.
I think the other word is play your best hitters and don’t worry about your defense at all. Through the first 6 innings yesterday, only the 3rd baseman, first baseman, and right fielder had even touched the ball with their gloves - each a single time. And all 3 were on weak pop ups. Pretty easy to play d against a team hell bent on hitting the ball 500 feet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT