ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Indiana vs. Illinois-Chicago (Louisville Regional, Elimination Game)

Stu Jackson

Staff
Jun 30, 2016
Bloomington, Ind.
First pitch is at 11 a.m. eastern time. WatchESPN.com has the broadcast.

Indiana will throw lefty Andrew Saalfrank, and Illinois State will counter with senior right-hander Joey Fredrickson (4.37 ERA, 44 Ks in 14 starts)

Indiana batting order:

1. RF Drew Ashley
2. DH Matt Lloyd
3. LF Elijah Dunham
4. 3b Cole Barr
5. 1b Scotty Bradley
6. C Ryan Fineman
7. CF Grant Richardson
8. 2b Cade Bunnell
9. SS Jeremy Houston

So no Gorski today. Richardson takes his place in center, as he did yesterday against Illinois State yesterday afternoon.

Barr fouls a ball off his right foot and stays down for a moment, but gets back up and decides to stay in. He's tied with Lloyd for the team lead in home runs, so that would not have been ideal if IU lost him on top of having Gorski unavailable.

I expect Saalfrank to settle down and be the pitcher he has been. I don't know what has happened to our starting pitching since the regular season ended, but it hasn't been what I expected it to be.

Pitching change for UIC: Lefty Sam Menegat now on the mound.

Bradley reaches 1st on a fielder's choice, Barr to second, Dunham to third; Ashley out at home. Bases still loaded with two outs

I'm guessing the pitcher they brought in is their closer since his era is 1.57 in around 23 IP. It's an elimination game and someone is going to see their season end.

A Fineman groundout to shortstop ends T3.

Still 3-2 Indiana heading into B3
We never got the ball out of the infield with one out. All we needed was a deep enough fly ball, but you have to give their relief pitcher credit for not allowing that.

The tying run was caused by a walk and then a wild pitch. Good grief.

Bierman replaces Saalfrank and winds up loading the bases. However, he gets out of the jam by inducing a groundout to second on a full count.

Still 4-3 Indiana at the end of the 4th

Our starting pitching has flamed out. Pun intended. Gotta hope our pen can pick them up.

ADVERTISEMENT