ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day: Coastal Carolina

Good players, coaches and good teams don’t panic like some of you are or did. Baseball is a negative game, and a lot of positives happened this weekend.
Yeah I was expecting 2-2 at best this weekend, and that was with expecting a lot out of this team this year. I’m beyond thrilled that they went 3-1.

Reactions: CF77
With the season just getting started, I'm not going to get too hung up on our RPI. But, I thought I would add that we moved up to #8 as the late/left coast results came in. There are probably some more late game results to come in. Even though the season just got started, these early wins will be huge at the end of the season, but I guess that goes without saying.

No one panicked. There is a difference between commenting and panicking.
Same here. I want them to win every game, especially the ones I actively follow (like the OU game). Always more vested and critical when I'm watching and listening. And while I pointed out disappointing performances, I tried not to be negative. I'm sure some may have taken it that way - but that was not the case.

With the season just getting started, I'm not going to get too hung up on our RPI. But, I thought I would add that we moved up to #8 as the late/left coast results came in. There are probably some more late game results to come in. Even though the season just got started, these early wins will be huge at the end of the season, but I guess that goes without saying.

Maybe someone knows this.....but how in the heck could you even have RPIs 3 games into the season?

Is there carry-over from last year's #s? Or are teams given an initial RPI based on predicted success?

Whatever the answer, the RPIs they listed after the first 3 games were total nonsense. Why don't they just wait until the're 1/2 through the season to do the first RPIs?

Maybe someone knows this.....but how in the heck could you even have RPIs 3 games into the season?

Is there carry-over from last year's #s? Or are teams given an initial RPI based on predicted success?

Whatever the answer, the RPIs they listed after the first 3 games were total nonsense. Why don't they just wait until the're 1/2 through the season to do the first RPIs?
As in most sports, it starts as soon as the first game is played and is SOS based formula starting with preseason rankings.

Wikipedia spells it out nicely for you:

The formula used in NCAA baseball is the same as that used in basketball except for the adjustment of home and road records. Starting in 2013, college baseball RPI formula values each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win is valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss counts 1.3 against a team’s RPI and each road loss counts 0.7 against a team’s RPI. Neutral-site games have a value of 1.0, but the committee is studying how to determine if a game should be considered a neutral-site contest. The adjustment is based on data showing that home teams win about 62 percent of the time in Division I baseball."The change was made because of the discrepancy in the number of home games teams play. Some schools are able to play 35–40 of their 56 allowable games at home, while other teams, due to factors such as weather, may play only 20 home games.

This adjustment replaces the current system of bonuses or penalties that teams receive. Bonus points are awarded for beating top-75 non-conference opponents on the road and penalty points are given for losing to bottom-75 non-conference opponents at home. Bonuses and penalties are on a sliding scale, separated into groups of 25, with the top bonus for a road win against a top-25 team and the worst penalty for a home loss to a bottom-25 opponent.

As in most sports, it starts as soon as the first game is played and is SOS based formula starting with preseason rankings.

Wikipedia spells it out nicely for you:

The formula used in NCAA baseball is the same as that used in basketball except for the adjustment of home and road records. Starting in 2013, college baseball RPI formula values each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win is valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss counts 1.3 against a team’s RPI and each road loss counts 0.7 against a team’s RPI. Neutral-site games have a value of 1.0, but the committee is studying how to determine if a game should be considered a neutral-site contest. The adjustment is based on data showing that home teams win about 62 percent of the time in Division I baseball."The change was made because of the discrepancy in the number of home games teams play. Some schools are able to play 35–40 of their 56 allowable games at home, while other teams, due to factors such as weather, may play only 20 home games.

This adjustment replaces the current system of bonuses or penalties that teams receive. Bonus points are awarded for beating top-75 non-conference opponents on the road and penalty points are given for losing to bottom-75 non-conference opponents at home. Bonuses and penalties are on a sliding scale, separated into groups of 25, with the top bonus for a road win against a top-25 team and the worst penalty for a home loss to a bottom-25 opponent.
With the formula they are using, it really interesting to see how teams are bouncing around in the RPI rankings early on. Since our last game, we have gone from 8th to 9th, and now 35th as other games are played through the week. We are bunched together with Oregon St and Nebraska, while those college baseball powerhouses So. Ill-Edwardsville and Eastern Illinois are ranked well above us. Give it a couple of days and there will be another huge shift in the rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT