ADVERTISEMENT

Game 3: IU at Maryland - IU 7 MD 3, Final...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
In game three, IU has shown some power at the plate that has been missing for a good part of the late season, in a game where it is probably too little, too late as far as the postseason goes. Of IU's 11 hits so far, they have hit two homers and three doubles. Ashley, who has been in a major slump, has shown some life at the plate and is 2 for 3 so far. Barr continues his slump and is 0-3. Modugno was on the mound to start the game and pitched four innings giving up three hits and one earned run, with Stahl on the mound for IU in relief. On the negative side, IU has already been charged with 2 errors.

Last edited:
In game three, IU has shown some power at the plate that has been missing for a good part of the late season, in a game where it is probably too little, too late as far as the postseason goes. Of IU's 11 hits so far, they have hit two homers and three doubles. Ashley, who has been in a major slump, has shown some life at the place and is 2 for 3 so far. Barr continues his slump and is 0-3. Modugno was on the mound to start the game and pitched four innings giving up three hits and one earned run, with Stahl on the mound for IU in relief. On the negative side, IU has already been charged with 2 errors.
Whoops! I never saw the game was moved to 11 AM, but now I am following along.

It seems like this is a good showing from IU and in my article, I predicted one win could keep IU safe. I've been having doubts, though, if IU wins, do they make it?

I'll defer to you for the rest of the game. With it being in the 6th, I thought you weren't going to cover this one.

I think we had to win the series to have a chance of being in, but maybe there's an outside chance 1 win will do it. I would be very surprised if we're in though.

B7:

RHP Nathan Stahl is pitching for IU

Vought grounded out to shortstop and Alleyne popped out to first base for the first two outs. Shaw then walked and scored to cut the deficit to 7-3 after Cowles doubled to right-center off the wall. Bednar then hit a deep fly ball to the warning track in center field that was close but caught by Richardson.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into T8 --> Indiana leads 7-3.

Due Up:

8. Colopy
9. Hopkins
1. Houston

I think we had to win the series to have a chance of being in, but maybe there's an outside chance 1 win will do it. I would be very surprised if we're in though.
I agree with you. There's still a possibility we could be in the field if we hang on in this one, but it's probably a slim possibility. Like Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over until the fat lady sings", but I think the fat lady is clearing her throat right now.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
T8:

Colopy struck out looking and Hopkins singled to left field. Next up to bat, Houston struck out swinging and Ashley lined out to right field for the final out to end the frame.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into B8 --> Indiana leads 7-3.

Due Up:

5. Costes
6. Zmarzlak
7. Gardiner

B8:

LHP Braden Scott replaced RHP Nathan Stahl

Costes led off and flied out down the right-field line. Zmarzlak then struck out looking for the second out. Next up to bat, Gardiner hit a ground ball to third and Barr tried to barehand it but couldn't hang on. It was ruled a single as it probably should be in my opinion. Schreffler then struck out looking for the final out to end the inning.

Heading into T9 --> Indiana leads 7-3.

Due Up:

3. Richardson
4. Barr
5. Toetz

T9:

Richardson grounded out to the pitcher and Barr grounded out to shortstop for the first two outs.

RHP Mark DiLuia replaced Bello

Toetz struck out looking for the final out.

Heading into B9 --> Indiana leads 7-3.

Last chance for UMD

Due Up:

9. Vought
1. Alleyne
2. Chavis

Last edited:
B9:

Maryland goes down 1-2-3.

Vought popped out to third base, Alleyne struck out swinging and Chavis also struck out swinging to end the game.

IU wins 7-3 and takes the series finale.

It's good to see IU finish (probably) the season on a positive note. Everyone in the lineup today got a hit with Fucci being the star of the game going 3 for 4 with two homers and 3 RBIs.

If we could have held on in that first game yesterday, there would have been a three way tie for second place. We would have a strong case for getting a spot if that would have happened. Oh well, if the dog hadn't stop to take a dump, he would have caught the rabbit too. LOL. Lot of woulda, coulda, shouldas this season. Still rooting for our boys no matter what!
Go Hoosiers!!

Last edited:
If we could have held on in that first game yesterday, there would have been a three way tie for second place. We would have a strong case for getting a spot if that would have happened. Oh well, if the dog hadn't stop to take a dump, he would have caught the rabbit too. LOL. Lot of woulda, coulda, shouldas this season. Still rooting for our boys no matter what!
Go Hoosiers!!
We will never know, but I felt that if Bierman could have gone another two innings in that first game, we might have held on to win that game. Sports are full of would've, could've, should've situations.

Reactions: 82IU
Probably not--there's a bid thief out of the American. USF snatched the autobid today after beating UCF (who eliminated 11th-ranked ECU yesterday). With ECU likely to get an at-large, that's one less spot available.
I think that Neb and MD are locks, while Mich is a strong probable, and that will be it for the B1G.

ACC also had a bid thief--DUKE won the autobid and likely would not have gotten an at-large. So that's two.

If the season wasn't over before, it probably is now.

• Sad
Reactions: 82IU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT