ADVERTISEMENT

Game 2: IU 4 NIU 3 which is a final...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
IU gave up an unearned run in the top of the 4th as a result of an error. IU scored in the the 4th on a FC.

Reactions: snowling
NIU's starting pitcher is pitching well giving up just 3 hits with 5 Ks so far. Milto is having a good game also.

After a two-out walk, Sabol is replacing Milto in the 6th. Milto was at 92 pitches, but pitched well giving up the one unearned run.

Kaletha was hit by a pitch to leadoff IU in the 6th (he leads the nation in HBPs.) Lloyd doubled with one out to move Kaletha to 3rd. Sowers walked to load the bases, and Dunham drove in Kaletha on a FC for IU's run.

NIU is sticking with their starting pitcher, Tanner Foster, who is statistically their best pitcher, and has pitched well so far. He has 84 pitches to start the 8th.

Krueger has relieved Sabol with NIU batting in the 8th.

A really bad inning for IU in the 8th that gave NIU the lead. Krueger had his worst inning of the season giving up three hits and two runs (one earned, one unearned), as IU also committed two errors in the inning by Stratten and Houston. Stratten booted a ball that would have probably been a double play. It was Krueger's first earned run given up on the season so far.

Evidently, Houston wasn't given an error on his play, so it was just the error by Stratten in the 8th. My apology Jeremy.

Back-to-back homers with two outs by Miller and Sowers gives IU the lead in the 8th. The homers came against NIU's bullpen.

Krueger knocked them down in order in the 9th for the win. That would have been a really, really bad loss if IU hadn't pulled that one out. Also, it appears the unearned run in the 8th by NIU was an earned run, so Krueger ended up being charged with two earned runs.

Krueger knocked them down in order in the 9th for the win. That would have been a really, really bad loss if IU hadn't pulled that one out. Also, it appears the unearned run in the 8th by NIU was an earned run, so Krueger ended up being charged with two earned runs.
Okay, I'm somewhat confused on Krueger's earned runs. The radio coverage gave him two earned runs while the official stats gave him just one. Needless to say the official stats are correct. Regardless, the win is all that matters.

We'll sure take the win, but man, that defense...
They seem to do that mostly in critical situations. I guess they are trying to rush things which often leads to what happened today.

Thanks for doing the updates ptrich. It was a good game for the team to be in a close one and pull it out. Should help for later in the year.

The NIU starting pitcher looked pretty good as well. He was throwing the kind of stuff they will see from much better teams down the road.

IU needs to get their fielding straightened out. You cannot give up what I think should have been 3 unearned runs (they gave a hit on the line drive off the first basemen's mitt that should have been caught) and expect to win.

Reactions: snowling and ptrich
Thanks for doing the updates ptrich. It was a good game for the team to be in a close one and pull it out. Should help for later in the year.

The NIU starting pitcher looked pretty good as well. He was throwing the kind of stuff they will see from much better teams down the road.

IU needs to get their fielding straightened out. You cannot give up what I think should have been 3 unearned runs (they gave a hit on the line drive off the first basemen's mitt that should have been caught) and expect to win.
Yeah, I was waiting for Stu Jackson to cover it, but he was probably assigned to the regional basketball coverage. Check that, the semistate coverage.

We'll sure take the win, but man, that defense...
I didn’t see terrible defense today. Outside of the Stratton boot, nothing else is real troublesome. The one on Houston in the hole was a hit even though he got a little glove on it. The 1st and 3rd defense was fantastic today. I believe IU was 2/3 in those defensive situations with 2 putouts at home. Tough gritty win today.

I didn’t see terrible defense today. Outside of the Stratton boot, nothing else is real troublesome. The one on Houston in the hole was a hit even though he got a little glove on it. The 1st and 3rd defense was fantastic today. I believe IU was 2/3 in those defensive situations with 2 putouts at home. Tough gritty win today.
Well in the third inning I believe, Miller grabbed a grounder and threw to first who had the ball in his mitt and dropped it. That guy eventually came in to score after the line drive that hit the first baseman’s mitt. And when NIU tried the double steal Fineman threw the ball into the dirt at second giving Houston no chance to get the runner at home.

Colby’s boot was pretty big too. A double play there would have eventually got them out of that inning. I guess you can give Houston a pass on his grounder but he could have handled it and I think he normally will handle those.

Don’t get me wrong they also made some very nice plays like getting the runner at the plate on the second double steal try, etc. I’m just saying they need to clean up those other bobbles.

Well in the third inning I believe, Miller grabbed a grounder and threw to first who had the ball in his mitt and dropped it. That guy eventually came in to score after the line drive that hit the first baseman’s mitt. And when NIU tried the double steal Fineman threw the ball into the dirt at second giving Houston no chance to get the runner at home.

Colby’s boot was pretty big too. A double play there would have eventually got them out of that inning. I guess you can give Houston a pass on his grounder but he could have handled it and I think he normally will handle those.

Don’t get me wrong they also made some very nice plays like getting the runner at the plate on the second double steal try, etc. I’m just saying they need to clean up those other bobbles.
Millers throw was short and Dunham trapped it instead of picking the short hop. It didn’t allow the runner an extra base, and I’m not going to fault a freshman who hasn’t played much first base. The line drive off his mitt was a tough one to handle while he was holding the runner on. Again, he’s a freshman, and those aren’t egregious mistakes. And your nit picking the failed first and third situation, IU was 2/3 in those situations, not bad.

As for Houston, that’s a tough play. He was responsible for the bag in double play coverage, and the ball was hit in front of the runner and was a tough read in the hole. If you’ve never played anywhere up the middle, you wouldn’t understand. These kids are human, and I’m sure mistakes are going to happen again this year. The defense is going to be just fine.

ADVERTISEMENT