ADVERTISEMENT

Gabby Petito...

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
I haven't really been following this case, but just saw that they likely found this woman's body and read a few stories about what's been going on. What a horribly tragic and sad end to this story for her family and loved ones.

Am I wrong in assuming that it's hard to see a scenario where her boyfriend didn't play a part in her disappearance and death? It strikes me as extremely odd that he came back to Florida without her. And then not talking to the police and going on the run makes it even stranger.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up finding his body somewhere after he offs himself, with no real explanation of what really happened.

He almost certainly off'd her. Why is the big question. We may never know.

I haven't really been following this case, but just saw that they likely found this woman's body and read a few stories about what's been going on. What a horribly tragic and sad end to this story for her family and loved ones.

Am I wrong in assuming that it's hard to see a scenario where her boyfriend didn't play a part in her disappearance and death? It strikes me as extremely odd that he came back to Florida without her. And then not talking to the police and going on the run makes it even stranger.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up finding his body somewhere after he offs himself, with no real explanation of what really happened.
He might have killed her intentionally.
But my guess is argument, a shove, falls and hits head; freak out.

It seems a very strange story. The prior interaction with police suggested that the girl may have had some issues as well. I'd speculate that she died/was killed during some sort of altercation similar to the one the cops responded to earlier. Whether he killed her purposefully or accidentally, maybe we'll find out. Maybe we won't. The dude may off himself before the cops find him.

If it was an "accident," it seems to me he's fscked up his chances there by his subsequent actions.

It seems a very strange story. The prior interaction with police suggested that the girl may have had some issues as well. I'd speculate that she died/was killed during some sort of altercation similar to the one the cops responded to earlier. Whether he killed her purposefully or accidentally, maybe we'll find out. Maybe we won't. The dude may off himself before the cops find him.

If it was an "accident," it seems to me he's fscked up his chances there by his subsequent actions.
Yeah, if he did unintentionally kill her, I get lawyering up, but going on the run doesn't bode well for him. I do hope for the family's sake they get some answers, but I have this feeling that they'll find his body in the woods or in a hotel room somewhere. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

The police/FBI will absolutely know what happened, and likely by the end of this week. I have no idea if he killed her, if it was an accident, or something in between - but they'll piece it all together.

The police/FBI will absolutely know what happened, and likely by the end of this week. I have no idea if he killed her, if it was an accident, or something in between - but they'll piece it all together.
Will also be interesting to see if they were somehow involved in the recent murder in an area they had visited. (Can't remember where that happened, but I think it was within the past few weeks.)

The wife turned on Nancy Grace last night to see what she had to yell about. God, that was awful. How is she still around.

Wife's comment: "I see she doesn't have a wedding ring on". Well, no shit.

Yeah, I guess with or without him talking, they could probably piece together things. I was just thinking that it'd be a lot more helpful if he were cooperating. I'd also guess that a lot of the current unknowns would go from being highly probable to without question if he would talk to the police/FBI.

My understanding is that both of them had mental related issues and had stopped taking their meds. That's only been mentioned a few times, so not really sure if it played a role or not as the issues could have been minor.

My understanding is that both of them had mental related issues and had stopped taking their meds. That's only been mentioned a few times, so not really sure if it played a role or not as the issues could have been minor.
From where did you get that understanding? Only reports I know of are that they both told police in Moab they have anxiety and that she also has OCD. However, he also reportedly told police neither takes medication for these concerns. Are these the "mental related issues" you are referring to?

I've seen that question posited on social media. I think it's a valid point. I don't know how many people go missing every year, but I'm having trouble recalling the last time a POC went missing and got national attention.
Similar to what sparked the black lives matter movement.

From where did you get that understanding? Only reports I know of are that they both told police in Moab they have anxiety and that she also has OCD. However, he also reportedly told police neither takes medication for these concerns. Are these the "mental related issues" you are referring to?
A couple of instances where a TV doc has mentioned it without much substance. That's why said I have no idea of the role they played or if they were minor. If what you're saying is the case, anxiety and OCD, then maybe they're a non-factor.

I've seen that question posited on social media. I think it's a valid point. I don't know how many people go missing every year, but I'm having trouble recalling the last time a POC went missing and got national attention.
Just stop it. Race doesn’t have to infect everything. A black cop killed Ashli Babbitt while violating every use of deadly force protocol I know about. Why isn’t race a part of her story?

There are 2 or 3 other people currently missing in the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone backcountry. I have an interest in backcountry camping/hiking and google knows it. A few times/month I get a lost hiker or hiker's body found story pushed to my google news feed. It happens all the time and it's rarely POC, but even then, very little of it gets the attention of this story.

There are 2 or 3 other people currently missing in the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone backcountry. I have an interest in backcountry camping/hiking and google knows it. A few times/month I get a lost hiker or hiker's body found story pushed to my google news feed. It happens all the time and it's rarely POC, but even then, very little of it gets the attention of this story.
What typically is the cause?

Yeah, I guess with or without him talking, they could probably piece together things. I was just thinking that it'd be a lot more helpful if he were cooperating. I'd also guess that a lot of the current unknowns would go from being highly probable to without question if he would talk to the police/FBI.
We don’t even know if her death was a homicide. I haven’t read whether she was buried or found in the open either. That is a big factor. His silence and disappearance are bizarre if he didn’t kill her, or if it was an accident. But his bizarre post death behavior may not even be evidence if the FBI can’t establish at least probable cause that he killed her with other evidence. I would think they will need to find a weapon with his fingerprints or DNA on it to even start to make a case. If he made incriminating statements to his parents, they could clam up and deny it. But if he did that with electronic media, that’s another wrinkle. Looks like they aided his disappearance though so they might be accessories. Lots more to learn.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
What typically is the cause?
By and large it's a couple of reasons.

If it's a lost hiker, it's usually someone who was off trail and either got lost due to lack of experience or had an accident/medical issue.

If it's hiker's body found it's almost always off trail and someone had medical issues or someone without experience got off-trail and had an accident.

It's amazing how many "regular" people show up to help search for missing hikers though. There are still plenty of good people out there.

Personally, I think this one gets the attention it does because of them being somewhat social media famous and the idea of foul play.

His actions were highly suspicious, but if you watch any parts of the traffic stop, they were both a little nuts.

Last edited:
Will also be interesting to see if they were somehow involved in the recent murder in an area they had visited. (Can't remember where that happened, but I think it was within the past few weeks.)

Lesbian couple was murdered at some campsite in UT I believe.

I posted about this story 20+ years ago here when it happened. It was notable because a friend of mine was in this area at the time doing his own backcountry trek.

Looks like they aided his disappearance though so they might be accessories. Lots more to learn.

Well, didn't he disappear a week ago? He wasn't under arrest or anything. What could the parents be charged with regarding aiding his disappearance? He was not considered a fugitive at the time.

Well, didn't he disappear a week ago? He wasn't under arrest or anything. What could the parents be charged with regarding aiding his disappearance? He was not considered a fugitive at the time.
If he admitted involvement in a crime and they aided his disappearance I think they could be charged.

Reactions: 76-1 and Ohio Guy
Just stop it. Race doesn’t have to infect everything. A black cop killed Ashli Babbitt while violating every use of deadly force protocol I know about. Why isn’t race a part of her story?
Race doesn't have to infect everything, but it's fair noting that the nation only seems to be gripped with the plight of missing petite, white girls. I've also seen it posted that someone in the media labeled her 'America's Daughter'. It's not a stretch to suggest that she probably wouldn't be called that if she were a POC.

Reactions: outside shooter
While you are correct, are there videos of police pulling the other missing folks over concerning a domestic argument along the way and one of them an attractive young blonde in tears? Unfortunately, There will be a movie or mini series out on this one.

Based on the Utah PO body cam footage, the fiance reminds me of a friend's ex-bf who seemed somewhat normal in the beginning but we later found out he's a mentally unstable stalker. The fiance and ex-bf have very similar speech patterns and ways of phrasing things.

Also, the ex-bf is still stalking five years later and trying to track her down through her family and other connections.

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1
Race doesn't have to infect everything, but it's fair noting that the nation only seems to be gripped with the plight of missing petite, white girls. I've also seen it posted that someone in the media labeled her 'America's Daughter'. It's not a stretch to suggest that she probably wouldn't be called that if she were a POC.
Maybe. But a white guy killed while in police custody has never had legislation named in his honor. There is too much race and not enough sense in everything we do and talk about.

Would anyone care if it wasn't a young pretty blonde girl?
Cute young blonde lives matter!

Sure, or it could be that she was an aspiring social media influencer with hundreds of thousands of followers on her YouTube travel inspired channel, Instagram and TikTok?

Personally, I think this one gets the attention it does because of them being somewhat social media famous and the idea of foul play.

While you are correct, are there videos of police pulling the other missing folks over concerning a domestic argument along the way and one of them an attractive young blonde in tears? Unfortunately, There will be a movie or mini series out on this one.
I think we're in agreement

Do those stories often involve the hiker with another person, they were live blogging their trip, and only one of them returns with nothing to say about the missing person?

This is getting attention because it has the set up of a b-level thriller but it is real life.

Do those stories often involve the hiker with another person, they were live blogging their trip, and only one of them returns with nothing to say about the missing person?

This is getting attention because it has the set up of a b-level thriller but it is real life.
What’s messed up he drove her van back to Florida and the North Port police said they couldn’t do anything because he wouldn’t talk to them.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
This is a good Dateline NBC or 48 Hours episode. TV mini series/movies taken from real life are no longer popular. There’s enough real life video and other real sources now for the networks to pass on investing in a movie production.

Where else would he go if his girlfriend just disappeared?

I don't defend him at all, but it would have been worse if he had been innocent and had not gone home. Then, he deals with cops saying you're guilty because you went home, no wait, you're guilty because you did not go home. It amounts to infallible cop ESP that the husband/boyfriend always is guilty no matter what.

State law usually does not penalize cops for lying to the suspects or to the public by saying "we know you did this or that" even though they have no fricking idea what happened.

Think about this: why do cops say a person is a "person of interest" instead of saying he is a "suspect"? (Hint: in reality, they"'re all suspects.)

Last edited:
Where else would he go if his girlfriend just disappeared?

I don't defend him at all, but it would have been worse if he had been innocent and had not gone home.
Where would he go, normal people would go to the police and file a missing person report!

Reactions: DANC and IUINSB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT