ADVERTISEMENT

g league just paid freshman to be 500k

talent pool in college b-ball will be going way down going forward,
That's not a bad thing for coaches and if no other good comes from it , it will be the end of Duke and UK models. Cal and K will actually have to coach and build teams again. Probably the biggest winner is Izzo, I'd expect him to flourish under a system that he'd always been in.

And to be honest, the quality of college basketball has been down for years. You really see anybody say beating the UNLV championship team or Arkansas of the 90's. Teams need to be built and it's not that easy to do every year. UNC and Villanova, maybe Virginia figured this out a few years ago, and that's why they've remained or become successful.

Yes, there will be fewer highlights, but I think better teams and better team basketball.

Last edited:
Appx 1000+/- players on rosters of major college teams, Maybe 15 to 20 players per year will have this route available to them. Which means 2% or less.

"way down" ?
I'd actually agree with your for once

Reactions: T.M.P.
I'd actually agree with your for once
Yea, I agreed with your post too*. It may actually improve those one and done type teams, if, like you said, those coaches develop the players they get. The best available players will still go to those schools. So relatively not much will change.

*This doesn't mean we're friends though.... lol

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
what happens when a kid has a couple of good games and leaves mid season, what there saying the g-league can sign anyone at any time

what happens when a kid has a couple of good games and leaves mid season, what there saying the g-league can sign anyone at any time

Capitalism. Google could hire a kid with wiz tech skills in the middle of his freshmen year.

It would stink for the team, but for the kid to have opportunity to take care of himself, family, etc., why deny him that?

I sort of question why the G-league would want to be plucking kids for $500k mid-season. It isn’t like any particular NBA team gets his rights. The player is getting more exposure playing high level college hoops than he will ever get in the G-league.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Capitalism. Google could hire a kid with wiz tech skills in the middle of his freshmen year.

It would stink for the team, but for the kid to have opportunity to take care of himself, family, etc., why deny him that?

I sort of question why the G-league would want to be plucking kids for $500k mid-season. It isn’t like any particular NBA team gets his rights. The player is getting more exposure playing high level college hoops than he will ever get in the G-league.

Nobody would be able to sign a contract midseason. Once they enroll they’ll have to wait for the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT