ADVERTISEMENT

FYI . . . Ivory Winters is no longer on SEMO's roster . . .

If I remember correctly he is from a small town in Arkansas and left because he was homesick.

. . . and found pretty quickly that SEMO had a stable of capable RBs, and that he was going to have to do the little things to earn PT. https://www.semoball.com/story/2637228.html

I felt pretty bad for him, kind of like I did for Nick Zachary from Sheridan that came to IU a few years ago. He was the MAN at a serious football school for 4 years (3-1 in 4 state finals appearances). But the school & town are also pretty tiny. I don't think he lasted through his first semester. Lord knows it has to be hard to go from being that big of a fish to the B1G. To say nothing of the culture shock of a super small rural area to a campus with 40,000 kids running around (although to be fair, NZ was a stones throw from Indy growing up, and Winters was nowhere near anything from what I understand from Google Maps).

I felt pretty bad for him, kind of like I did for Nick Zachary from Sheridan that came to IU a few years ago. He was the MAN at a serious football school for 4 years (3-1 in 4 state finals appearances). But the school & town are also pretty tiny. I don't think he lasted through his first semester. Lord knows it has to be hard to go from being that big of a fish to the B1G. To say nothing of the culture shock of a super small rural area to a campus with 40,000 kids running around (although to be fair, NZ was a stones throw from Indy growing up, and Winters was nowhere near anything from what I understand from Google Maps).
I've spent time in Hayti . . . the most noise you'll hear during most hours is the coo of a mourning dove. It's way rural . . .

. . . I've also spent time in Cape Girardeau where SEMO is located . . . by comparison to Hayti it's humongous and high energy.

I too feel bad for Winters . . . I had high hopes for that connection establishing a pipeline from the bootheel to IU, because there are some pretty good athletes to come out of there on occasion . . . like Otto Porter, Jr. in basketball, or Blake DeWitt in baseball . . . .

I've spent time in Hayti . . . the most noise you'll hear during most hours is the coo of a mourning dove. It's way rural . . .

. . . I've also spent time in Cape Girardeau where SEMO is located . . . by comparison to Hayti it's humongous and high energy.

I too feel bad for Winters . . . I had high hopes for that connection establishing a pipeline from the bootheel to IU, because there are some pretty good athletes to come out of there on occasion . . . like Otto Porter, Jr. in basketball, or Blake DeWitt in baseball . . . .
Being a successful college football player and a successful college student at the same time requires a hell of a commitment to both. Some kids find out quickly that their heart isn't in one or the other. Some kids find out that they aren't really interested in either. Hope the kid finds his avenue to success somewhere.

Sort of . . . but Bird didn't transfer to another school right away . . . he went home and worked for a year or so. And when he did transfer, he didn't wash out . . . .

In his only interview here - a friendly session with the IU guy - he was very uncomfortable and said he spent most of his time in his room. I knew then he was gone.

Really wish he ‘d find a school. I think he can play and could use the game as a way up from the poverty in Hayti.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT