ADVERTISEMENT

FYI-Indiana wins Big Ten Swimming Championship

I remember the first time I ever walked in to Assembly Hall and saw the picture of Mark Spitz. I had forgot that he went to IU and I grew up an AAU swimmer. The picture immediately caught my attention and all I could do was grin thinking how cool that cat was!

I was working out with Doc and the team in December. Mark wanted to leave for CA early before the Christmas break was to start. Doc said OK but you have to break the Big Ten record for the 440 freestyle first ( this was not Mark’s event). He did the time trial in the middle of practice- we were all watching and yelling. He not only broke the Big Ten record he was 0.8 off of the American Record. Doc said OK good job. Mark said I can get that record. He rested fo about 20 minutes, swam it again, and broke the American record by 0.7! What a swimmer!

I was working out with Doc and the team in December. Mark wanted to leave for CA early before the Christmas break was to start. Doc said OK but you have to break the Big Ten record for the 440 freestyle first ( this was not Mark’s event). He did the time trial in the middle of practice- we were all watching and yelling. He not only broke the Big Ten record he was 0.8 off of the American Record. Doc said OK good job. Mark said I can get that record. He rested fo about 20 minutes, swam it again, and broke the American record by 0.7! What a swimmer!
That’s a great story.

Thats an awesome story!

I remember the first time I ever walked in to Assembly Hall and saw the picture of Mark Spitz. I had forgot that he went to IU and I grew up an AAU swimmer. The picture immediately caught my attention and all I could do was grin thinking how cool that cat was!

Mark Spitz?

i thought that was Robbie Benson.

I remember seeing Mark standing outside the Chemistry building, waiting for class to start. He must have had 4-6 coeds around him, all smiling and starstruck. This was back in the day when he had brief delusions of being a dentist. He probably thought it would look good on his resume. After the Olympics, he took his endorsement money and went back to the West Coast to sell high-priced LA real estate, making millions just off name recognition alone. He never saw a grueling 8 hour day of drill, fill and bill in his life.

I remember seeing Mark standing outside the Chemistry building, waiting for class to start. He must have had 4-6 coeds around him, all smiling and starstruck. This was back in the day when he had brief delusions of being a dentist. He probably thought it would look good on his resume. After the Olympics, he took his endorsement money and went back to the West Coast to sell high-priced LA real estate, making millions just off name recognition alone. He never saw a grueling 8 hour day of drill, fill and bill in his life.

attended IU late 60s early 70s.

saw McGinnis fairly often, no big deal.

saw Gonso outside Ballantine Hall, no big deal.

saw Spitz walking in to the HPER one day, and i was OMG, that's Mark Spitz.

he was "the" #1 BMOC at IU, even with McGinnis and a Rose Bowl QB there at the time.

big congrats to both current teams.

obviously a lot of elite swimmers there now.

i'm guessing Lilly King gets plenty of recognition.

gave Cynthia Potter a ride to the other side of campus one day back in the day, so not like i haven't made some contribution to the cause.

saw Spitz walking in to the HPER one day, and i was OMG, that's Mark Spitz.

he was "the" #1 BMOC at IU, even with McGinnis and a Rose Bowl QB there at the time.
Well, having the face of a charming Greek god as if chiseled in Bedford limestone probably helped. That and the Speedo trunks no one but swimmers had the balls to wear. That photo poster selling so well with the seven swinging medallions of his was strategically positioned above the bed of just about every blossoming pre-pubescent and beyond lassie of wilder imagination.

Is it really any wonder? "Hey, Honey! It's Mark Spitz at the door. He wants to sell our house for us. I've got to run some errands back at the office. Do you want to talk to him?"

Boiler fan here. Congrats on this. Seriously.
My son swims at the club level (he’s no Spitz but consistently swims at Divisional level) and IU swim camp is one of the only non-med school times I’d be ok with having him want to go to IU...

ADVERTISEMENT