ADVERTISEMENT

Funny thing about a tree..

Rasco123

Benchwarmer
Jan 4, 2020
My neighbor just got a giant tree cut down yesterday.... And I thought "I really don't miss it that much ... I don't really even notice it being gone".... "In fact everything looks a lot better..."...

My thoughts on IU basketball and Coach Archie Miller.... Lol

My neighbor just got a giant tree cut down yesterday.... And I thought "I really don't miss it that much ... I don't really even notice it being gone".... "In fact everything looks a lot better..."...

I'm guessing he'll get about as much space in Cook Hall as Sampson....

I'm sure Archie is honored to be in the discussion along with Lou Watson for the infamy of being known as the worst coach in IUBB history.
That comment doesn't say much for all the folks here who thought Archie was a "can't miss" coach...from "can't miss" to one of the worst coaches in IUBB history is quite a fall. Personally, I don't think Miller was that bad...bad, but not THAT bad. We were close to being there, just on the short side of the fine line. Now, Lou Watson with his front line of George McGinnis, Steve Downing and Joby Wright...that was a big coaching disappointment. After the disheartening Big Ten loss to Wisconsin late in the season, his likeness was dragged across campus in effigy with a noose around his neck. I know because I was one of 3-4 fraternity brothers who created the life-size dummy and started the march, shouting "Watson out of Bloomington NOW!" The whole scenario made the front page of the Indy Star the following morning.

What frightens me now is that Lou got the coaching job only because he was "one of us". I hope Coach Woodson does better as "one of us". One thing he won't ever have to read about is the figurative noose around his neck. Thankfully, times have changed.

That comment doesn't say much for all the folks here who thought Archie was a "can't miss" coach...from "can't miss" to one of the worst coaches in IUBB history is quite a fall. Personally, I don't think Miller was that bad...bad, but not THAT bad. We were close to being there, just on the short side of the fine line. Now, Lou Watson with his front line of George McGinnis, Steve Downing and Joby Wright...that was a big coaching disappointment. After the disheartening Big Ten loss to Wisconsin late in the season, his likeness was dragged across campus in effigy with a noose around his neck. I know because I was one of 3-4 fraternity brothers who created the life-size dummy and started the march, shouting "Watson out of Bloomington NOW!" The whole scenario made the front page of the Indy Star the following morning.

What frightens me now is that Lou got the coaching job only because he was "one of us". I hope Coach Woodson does better as "one of us". One thing he won't ever have to read about is the figurative noose around his neck. Thankfully, times have changed.
Ur str8 gangsta, Brax

Reactions: SoccerSammy

Expectations might have been a little unrealistic for the 70-71 Hoosiers. Many thought that team of McGinnis, Downing, Wright and Ed Daniels was a shoo-in for the national championship. This was despite the fact that three of the four were Sophomores and were playing their first year. As it was, the team finished a disappointing 17-7, fourth in the Big Ten. There are many now who would be erecting statues given that winning record.

I got a giant dead one too, I pray that lightning may take it down and fall in the woods. Jesus, I'm not paying a couple grand or more to cut the ****er down. It's so dead I don't think we could trade wood for labor.

Expectations might have been a little unrealistic for the 70-71 Hoosiers. Many thought that team of McGinnis, Downing, Wright and Ed Daniels was a shoo-in for the national championship. This was despite the fact that three of the four were Sophomores and were playing their first year. As it was, the team finished a disappointing 17-7, fourth in the Big Ten. There are many now who would be erecting statues given that winning record.
IU fans were growing restless. The only thing that kept us going as fans was Big Mac’s 29.8 p/g average, an extraordinarily fine physical specimen, especially in such a young basketball player. George is quoted as saying he never lifted a weight in his life.

I like to think that without Lou Watson being hung in effigy with three guys morphing into over 300 angry hooligans... without that raucous outburst, Lou Watson may have been granted at least one more year by the administration. Remember, he only lost 7 games. If that scenario had been allowed to happen, we would have missed out on a shooting star hitting Bloomington in the form of Coach Knight. Where would we be today, without that dummy, “Lou Watson”. I’m one of the pieces in the puzzle that’s been IU basketball history. It’s a game I played in.

Experiencing Big George McGinnis, Long Steve Downing, and Jumping Joby Wright all on the court at the old fieldhouse was amazing. Such a presence! So very big and intimidating. And, yes, young.
Loved the way that while sitting close to the court with those guys above you...with the dust...the heat...the excitement! Players sweating and the dust made the floor so very slick.

How in the heck could they lose?

Experiencing Big George McGinnis, Long Steve Downing, and Jumping Joby Wright all on the court at the old fieldhouse was amazing. Such a presence! So very big and intimidating. And, yes, young.
Loved the way that while sitting close to the court with those guys above you...with the dust...the heat...the excitement! How in the heck could they lose?

When those three went up for rebounds and landed the floor shook. There was no room for the meek. If anyone ventured near they found themselves in the fourth row.

Loved the way that while sitting close to the court with those guys above you...with the dust...the heat...the excitement! Players sweating and the dust made the floor so very slick.

How in the heck could they lose?
It was Big George’s tradition to lead the team out of the locker room as the only one not wearing his warm up top, to better show the biceps, I imagine. He would take the first shot in warmups stopping to launch one from 30 ft. Sometimes he hit it, but if he didn’t you can bet he always got the rebound. “Man-child” was often heard to describe him.

IU couldn’t even beat Purdue at home with that team. I was there with my two PU buddies. Wetherford went wild on us with 26 pts, way above his average.

Those of us crusty to remember that Indianapolis Washington team with Downing and McGinnis n the state final game on TV.....they wrote the book on Men vs. Boys.......no surprise expectations on the college level were so high.

Those of us crusty to remember that Indianapolis Washington team with Downing and McGinnis n the state final game on TV.....they wrote the book on Men vs. Boys.......no surprise expectations on the college level were so high.
In another one of those “what ifs”...what if George’s dad hadn’t fallen to his death at a construction site accident over the summer. McGinnis might not have been one of the few college players granted permission to leave early to turn pro under the NCAA’s “hardship rule”. He may have felt more compelled to play in the brand new AH with its brand new coach. Oh, what two years under Knight’s tutelage might have done for that undisciplined man-child’s game.

Funny coincidence about trees....was on You Tube...a guy and his girlfriend in Mississippi of all places, were enjoying a rare winter snow. They built a 9 foot tall snowman in the front yard adjacent to the driveway. Unbeknownst to the goober(s) in a pick up truck who drove up the driveway and into the snowman to knock it down while the people were gone.....they had built the snowman over a tall tree stump. The results are predictable. The guy was from up north, and knew how to build a snowman....A snow man with a large bumper indentation across his waist, otherwise intact.....who knew?

Funny coincidence about trees....was on You Tube...a guy and his girlfriend in Mississippi of all places, were enjoying a rare winter snow. They built a 9 foot tall snowman in the front yard adjacent to the driveway. Unbeknownst to the goober(s) in a pick up truck who drove up the driveway and into the snowman to knock it down while the people were gone.....they had built the snowman over a tall tree stump. The results are predictable. The guy was from up north, and knew how to build a snowman....A snow man with a large bumper indentation across his waist, otherwise intact.....who knew?
Reminds me of an incident up in Madison WI about 1981. Somebody kept driving up into my yard and going through some low evergreen bushes on an early Saturday morning post-binge. Happened a couple of three times in three months.
I placed some 2" angle-irons among the bushes facing both ways. Extended about 15"- 20" above grade anchored securely in the ground but within the bush branches.
Soon thereafter, in the wee hours of the morning: a vehicle hit those metal bars; clang! vroom! rattle-rattle... The trail of oil went for about a block and a half. That ended the problem.

I got a giant dead one too, I pray that lightning may take it down and fall in the woods. Jesus, I'm not paying a couple grand or more to cut the ****er down. It's so dead I don't think we could trade wood for labor.
Let it stand! Enjoy the birds that use it.

Didn't IW only beat Marion by 1 point, IIRC? 61-60? Then IW won it all by beating Gary Tolleston 79-76. This was FF history as Vincennes, Marion and IW were undefeated, and Gary Tolleston only lost one game, to Quinn Buckner's Chicago HS team. I hate class basketball.

nobody thought that, Daniels never did really make it, IU was a soph laden team competing against juniors and seniors being that almost no one went pro back then, and non con schedules weren't loaded up with playing the Washington Generals ten times to pad the record.

that said, McGinnis doesn't call time out, and IU would have been 18-6.

worst things than 9-5 in the big ten, when you're basically the youngest team in the conference back when playing upperclassmen mattered.

Last edited:
And the worst thing is most of the posters who are now criticizing Archie wanted to build a shrine of him next to Bob Knight’s for his first 3 years. It was a mockery.

IU fans have a lot of passion but most don’t have a clue how to evaluate a coach without blinders. Thankfully there are still a few of us here to help educate them if people would just listen.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
And the worst thing is most of the posters who are now criticizing Archie wanted to build a shrine of him next to Bob Knight’s for his first 3 years. It was a mockery.

IU fans have a lot of passion but most don’t have a clue how to evaluate a coach without blinders. Thankfully there are still a few of us here to help educate them if people would just listen.
Why don't you and Victorbear create your own forum where the two of you can just stroke each other over your superior ability to immediately recognize a good/bad coaching hire and how the rest of us morons lent blind support for years. Even though it's a completely false narrative. The two of you are broken records. There is nobody here who hasn't heard your screeching so you aren't educating anyone. You are, however the two most annoying people on the forum. Please STFU until you at least have something new to add.

Why don't you and Victorbear create your own forum where the two of you can just stroke each other over your superior ability to immediately recognize a good/bad coaching hire and how the rest of us morons lent blind support for years. Even though it's a completely false narrative. The two of you are broken records. There is nobody here who hasn't heard your screeching so you aren't educating anyone. You are, however the two most annoying people on the forum. Please STFU until you at least have something new to add.
don’t take it so seriously. Just enjoy the entertainment

I never did but I gave him a chance...

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
I was a student from ' 68 to '71 and went to games the year you referenced. What I remembered were game scores of 106 to 102 , or 98 to 92. Still don't know how we lost 7 games with that group, probably little or no defense. ( Then in 1971 the General came in and scores started dropping into the '70's !)

I remember being upset we didn't get Billy Donovan when we hired Coach Miller. I don't think Miller is a bad guy. He was just in over his head, much like Coach Mike Davis. Davis even admitted that it was a shock to get the head coaching job. He admitted he didn't know what he was doing. He's a good man. I'm sure Coach Miller is a decent man too.

I remember being upset we didn't get Billy Donovan when we hired Coach Miller. I don't think Miller is a bad guy. He was just in over his head, much like Coach Mike Davis. Davis even admitted that it was a shock to get the head coaching job. He admitted he didn't know what he was doing. He's a good man. I'm sure Coach Miller is a decent man too.
I remember being upset we didn’t get Norm Sloan when we hired Bob Knight.

I was a student from ' 68 to '71 and went to games the year you referenced. What I remembered were game scores of 106 to 102 , or 98 to 92. Still don't know how we lost 7 games with that group, probably little or no defense. ( Then in 1971 the General came in and scores started dropping into the '70's !)
I saw only three games of Big George’s, in the old field-house my Soph year at IU...93-94 OT loss to KY, 113-112 win over Northern Illinois and a 81-85 defeat to the lowly PUkes. That second game remains the highest total score of any college game I’ve personally witnessed. Thank God and George they won it. George had 26 pts with God keeping score.

ADVERTISEMENT