ADVERTISEMENT

From the Front Page: The Scholarship #s Breakdown

I agree, ty.
What does anyone think? Thin anywhere?

RB & S could probably use some more bodies.

That's a pretty scholarship picture overall though.

I'm most curious to see how attrition impacts things over the next year. As much as I hate seeing kids leave the program for whatever reasons, it would be nice to be able to bring in classes of 22 kids each year and let the cream rise to the top. But that is at least 2 years away, at best. I could be wrong though because this current class is off to a very solid start and some early success (read: upsetting Wiscy) combined with last year's results could lead to a bumper crop this year.

Overall, in not that long of a time period, Allen seems to have a pretty strong roster balance, that is still young but now experienced.

Needs I see, starting on

Offense:
-QB - 3 is bare minimum - hoping we get McCully to round out that room.

-RB - Like the 4 we have now, but every class should add 1 "as good as we can get" RB each class

-WR - 2 solid seniors, NO juniors, but think we may have serious talent in the 7 So/Fr that could emerge. Young but optimistic there.

-TE - With uncertainty of Hendershot's status, not sure we have "studs" here or not. This one is a TBD.

-Tackle - only an injury away always. But love 2 starters Caleb J & Bedford. Also like potential of Benson (FR). Unsure talent levels of others, i.e. how high ceiling? Rafferty/Marazos have size, but are they B10 quality ready? Seeing potential grad transfers here makes me ask questions.

-Guard - like Norwah & Powell, Beery has size and age now, but TBD (See Rafferty above). Like the potential of the three freshman, but key word there is "Freshmen."

-Center - Crider will be good, but feel like one of PA boys needs to move over here (Weaver or Katic) as no way Cam Knight ready to be back up this fall IMO.

Defense:
-DE - getting to the QB has been an area of improvement needed. I like Ziemba/Swann/Head for next season "big 3". Think one of Reese or Bryant can rise to solid back up, if it isn't J. King, who seems like a riser. *MADISON NORRIS just put name in transfer portal. Loved his speed, but can't seem to put on weight, hasn't played, good luck & opens up a spot. The Pipeline for this position is possibly off charts with the 4 Freshman & 2 commits for year after. Bullish here!

DT - Pretty good spread from Johnson (SR) Elliott (Jr) and like the size & potential of the 5 behind them. I'd say IU could use some good recruiting focus and pipeline depth here still given youth heavy. (Possible grad transfers here next year?)

-LB - Really like this group that has NO SENIORS right now. Openly admit, I'm not a high on Tom Allen Jr at LB. Smart, heady, but not B10 athleticism needed. Love to see him shift to DE. Of remaining 7 LB's, think they could literally all have a shot to contribute talent wise. Great depth here given we play 2 at the spot.

-CB - Can we get a few more T Mullen's on aisle 2 please? He is a stud! Think Layne moving more to safety, leaving Taylor/Williams to battle for other starting CB spot and leaving IU with a pretty solid back up there with whoever isn't starter. Going to need one of the 4 FR CB's to step up and perform, hopefully it can be one of the 2 RS FR, to allow the other two to RS. This will be an area keep adding more like Mullen, which Larry Smith seems to be a nice FL commit for next year's class.

-Safety (& Husky) - This area blurs the husky/LB roles. Ball was so good as a FR, has a great physique, but has seemingly slipped over last few years. Hope coaches can find where he fits best. I believe all 4 juniors here can play (and let coaches find best fit at Safety/Husky). Of soph, worried Jordan J may be next Madison Norris/Cole Gest "just not B10 talent" transfer casualty. Noah P seems like could play. Like the Texas Safety we got Bonds, but this seems like another area we'll need to stock the pipeline.

K - Campbell should be a lock for next 3 years. But need a decent back up (and/or person for kick offs only?)

P - last year of Whitehead, who's been great. How about go back to Australia and get another one.

Both Kicker and Punter & long snapper well worth a scholly in my mind and they can be difference makers in winning games as we've seen in past, unfortunately often not in our favor...but that has turned with more focus on S/T under Allen.

I agree with others, a big year this fall, on top of the Gator Bowl season last year, and the next recruiting class, which is off to a nice start already, could continue the rising tide of IUFB program!

Overall, in not that long of a time period, Allen seems to have a pretty strong roster balance, that is still young but now experienced.

Needs I see, starting on

Offense:
-QB - 3 is bare minimum - hoping we get McCully to round out that room.

-RB - Like the 4 we have now, but every class should add 1 "as good as we can get" RB each class

-WR - 2 solid seniors, NO juniors, but think we may have serious talent in the 7 So/Fr that could emerge. Young but optimistic there.

-TE - With uncertainty of Hendershot's status, not sure we have "studs" here or not. This one is a TBD.

-Tackle - only an injury away always. But love 2 starters Caleb J & Bedford. Also like potential of Benson (FR). Unsure talent levels of others, i.e. how high ceiling? Rafferty/Marazos have size, but are they B10 quality ready? Seeing potential grad transfers here makes me ask questions.

-Guard - like Norwah & Powell, Beery has size and age now, but TBD (See Rafferty above). Like the potential of the three freshman, but key word there is "Freshmen."

-Center - Crider will be good, but feel like one of PA boys needs to move over here (Weaver or Katic) as no way Cam Knight ready to be back up this fall IMO.

Defense:
-DE - getting to the QB has been an area of improvement needed. I like Ziemba/Swann/Head for next season "big 3". Think one of Reese or Bryant can rise to solid back up, if it isn't J. King, who seems like a riser. *MADISON NORRIS just put name in transfer portal. Loved his speed, but can't seem to put on weight, hasn't played, good luck & opens up a spot. The Pipeline for this position is possibly off charts with the 4 Freshman & 2 commits for year after. Bullish here!

DT - Pretty good spread from Johnson (SR) Elliott (Jr) and like the size & potential of the 5 behind them. I'd say IU could use some good recruiting focus and pipeline depth here still given youth heavy. (Possible grad transfers here next year?)

-LB - Really like this group that has NO SENIORS right now. Openly admit, I'm not a high on Tom Allen Jr at LB. Smart, heady, but not B10 athleticism needed. Love to see him shift to DE. Of remaining 7 LB's, think they could literally all have a shot to contribute talent wise. Great depth here given we play 2 at the spot.

-CB - Can we get a few more T Mullen's on aisle 2 please? He is a stud! Think Layne moving more to safety, leaving Taylor/Williams to battle for other starting CB spot and leaving IU with a pretty solid back up there with whoever isn't starter. Going to need one of the 4 FR CB's to step up and perform, hopefully it can be one of the 2 RS FR, to allow the other two to RS. This will be an area keep adding more like Mullen, which Larry Smith seems to be a nice FL commit for next year's class.

-Safety (& Husky) - This area blurs the husky/LB roles. Ball was so good as a FR, has a great physique, but has seemingly slipped over last few years. Hope coaches can find where he fits best. I believe all 4 juniors here can play (and let coaches find best fit at Safety/Husky). Of soph, worried Jordan J may be next Madison Norris/Cole Gest "just not B10 talent" transfer casualty. Noah P seems like could play. Like the Texas Safety we got Bonds, but this seems like another area we'll need to stock the pipeline.

K - Campbell should be a lock for next 3 years. But need a decent back up (and/or person for kick offs only?)

P - last year of Whitehead, who's been great. How about go back to Australia and get another one.

Both Kicker and Punter & long snapper well worth a scholly in my mind and they can be difference makers in winning games as we've seen in past, unfortunately often not in our favor...but that has turned with more focus on S/T under Allen.

I agree with others, a big year this fall, on top of the Gator Bowl season last year, and the next recruiting class, which is off to a nice start already, could continue the rising tide of IUFB program!

Good break down of IU's team right now. I will be interested in seeing the impact of coach Jones, Wright, and Peoples on the program along with how coach Sheridan handles the OC job. We may find the new coaches enhance the safety, TE, and DE positions.

Just a thought, but if this season does not happen, and these kids do not get their senior year of eligibility back, would Indiana be in a good position to make a big step up in 2021 with so much of the experienced, underclassmen roster back?

Good break down of IU's team right now. I will be interested in seeing the impact of coach Jones, Wright, and Peoples on the program along with how coach Sheridan handles the OC job. We may find the new coaches enhance the safety, TE, and DE positions.
Kind of didn't put two & two together there that of those three spots needing some watching have what I think are good new coaches in the mix!

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT