ADVERTISEMENT

From a Mizzou Fan: What Happened to You Guys this Year?

DaHouse77

All-American
Oct 8, 2007
You guys came into Columbia confident and effective, and you beat us fair and square... albeit Mizzou looked like they slept walked through most of the game. I was looking forward to your squad making noise in the B1G, and it didn't happen...

I've heard there were injuries at QB? Was that so? What else happened?

Again, you beat us straight-up, but man... That loss is really killing us now...

Two QBs out in the same game

We lost the starting QB for the year in the Iowa game. His replacement was a freshmen LB but played QB in high school...he is injured in the same Iowa game but finished the game. He had ACL surgery the following week. So IU ends up with a freshmen QB that was 5th on the spring depth chart. Teams loaded the box against the run and it took 4-5 games for the QB to learn how to throw a football. Add in receiver drops in key 3rd down situations ... add MSU, Ohio State to the mix.....

This post was edited on 12/1 10:20 AM by iubhounds

We had 3 quarterbacks that played meaningful minutes

over the last several years... one emerged as the starter, and the other two bolted... one last Spring, the other right before fall camp. We were left with 3 true freshman and a sophomore walk-on as back-ups...

Then it happened, our starter got injured at Iowa, a back-up freshman came in and he also got injured-both out for the season...

We turned to a 5'11 160 lb true freshman who has no fear, but was not ready for B1G football. Our passing game was non-existent. Somewhere in the season our walk-on QB also came in and was injured...

In less than a year's time: 3 QB's out for the season w/injury, 2 QB's transfer... left with the 2 true freshman QB's to play against the B1G...

What could have been.....

Re: Two QBs out in the same game

Originally posted by iubhounds:
We lost the starting QB for the year in the Iowa game. His replacement is a freshmen LB but played QB in high school...he is injured in the Iowa game. So IU ends up with a freshmen QB that was 5th on the spring depth chart. Teams loaded the box against the run and it took 4-5 games for the QB to learn how to throw a football. Add in receiver drops in key 3rd down situations ... add MSU, Ohio State to the mix.....
Got it. That makes complete sense now... That really, really sucks. You guys looked like you had some potential.

I know you're probably all very frustrated with Wilson, but I'd give him some time. It took Pinkel six years before getting to double-digits in wins. He was on the hot seat at times, but our Athletic Department's patience has paid off hugely. I have to believe Wilson learned something from Stoops in running a program. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Hoosiers going.

Third string QB who threw for nearly 3,000 yards in 2012 transferred last spring. Co-starter who threw 6 TD's his final game at IU transferred in July. True freshman athlete projected at LB was moved to backup QB. Against Iowa, starting QB and LB were lost for the season which led to a true freshman who would have been 4th or 5th on the depth chart was forced into action. Due to poor play three weeks later, he was replaced by senior walk-on who remarkably was knocked out for the season after three plays. to his credit, the kid played like nails and really improved as the season progressed. The real problem ended up being the young, green wide receivers.

Re: Pinkel

I've watched him since he left as a Don James assistant coach at Washington in the 90's. Those 5 and 6 years are key to success to a program but rarely do teams keep coaches that long in today's environment so they are constantly starting over with a new coaching system, new coaches, new schemes.

I was one of those people that was wanting Mizzou in the Big10, not Nebraska. I'll be watching your game next week.

Thanks for your comments.

Re: I forgot about the Senior Walkon QB

Thanks for the reminder on the 3rd QB hurt....I had forgot about him. Great explanation on what happened.

Re: Pinkel

Originally posted by iubhounds:
I've watched him since he left as a Don James assistant coach at Washington in the 90's. Those 5 and 6 years are key to success to a program but rarely do teams keep coaches that long in today's environment so they are constantly starting over with a new coaching system, new coaches, new schemes.

I was one of those people that was wanting Mizzou in the Big10, not Nebraska. I'll be watching your game next week.

Thanks for your comments.
Yup. Unfortunately, patience is a luxury these days. Although, I understand everyone wants to support a winner, especially when you know your coach is making millions.

I know you're in the tougher division of the B1G, but your conference is down. Give Wilson a few more years, and you should be competitive. A few more, and you could be a resurgent program pushing tOSU.

I'm from St. Louis, and we have a lot of kids who go to IU... I even went to the MU/IU game last year in Bloomington, and I had a great time. Very nice people. I'll continue to pull for the Hoosiers.

I think there is still a lot of love for Coach Wilson

and who would we get that would be any better? I think we need to let Wilson continue to build the program at this point, and it appears the administration believe that too. I am a Coach Wilson fan and still think he can improve the program.

Most sticking by Wilson

I'd say the IU fan base is probably like most others. After a loss, really any loss, you get an avalanche of voices you hear from once a week or once a season crying to fire the coaches. There's one particularly looney Twitter account that was advocating firing university president and replacing the board of trustees following the Rutgers loss.

But most of us who actually pay attention know that you're in for the long game with IU football. Things won't be fixed in a day. The Mizzou game was a glimpse at where the program could be. I think you have a lot of support for Wilson among the calmer heads. That said, I think the clock is ticking and his seat will be really hot next year if he doesn't get the team to 6 wins.

Good luck to you guys this weekend. I'd love to see the playoffs go into a full tizzy with an Alabama loss.

The inconsistent defense was a factor as well

You saw a pretty good effort on that front from us when we played you, but that was sandwiched by 2 bad defensive games against Bowling Green and Maryland. Sometimes they'd play a pretty decent game and give up 2-3 big plays at the end (Rutgers) or start off awful (Iowa) and then settle down.

They've gotten better as the year has went on. New DC and scheme with a lot of young players. Just when they started to figure it out we were starting a true freshman QB who wasn't a big-time recruit and is probably 165 lbs soaking wet.

The key for me from the Mizzou game....

as DaHouse mentioned...

this wasn't a game like Oregon (DaHouse - a game we won/upset @ Ore back in 2004 or so) where we got like 6 TO's, and still managed to somehow meekly hold on for a win. We actually completed a drive to win a game (albiet with a game saving PI call), against what has turned out to be a very good team. Once Mizzou lost to Georgia, I was kinda bummed, thinking it cheapened our win...but they are indeed legit, and that now adds more weight to my belief that at "full strength", we are a pretty decent team. Maybe 7-5 or so this year, even with Sudfeld, but the Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, and Rutgers game would have been ALOT different with him....they actually would have been "winnable".

As it was, we were basically just "playing out the string", hoping to be able to compete w Purdue at the end.

From our standpoint...what could have been? Before Sudfeld went down against Iowa (in the 2nd Quarter), we had gone down 21-0, but Sud and the O (Coleman) had rallied us to 28-21. Sudfeld nailed Wynn (our 5'6" Sr receiver) on a 40 yard post right between the safeties, perfectly in stride, at like the 5 yard line...perfect pass for the tying TD....and Wynn dropped it. No contact. No hands in his face. Just a wide open, TD costing drop. Had he caught that, we'd have rallied from 21 down to catch up at 28-28, and we'd have all the momentum...our guys would have pulled from the confidence gained at Mizzou that they could win dogfights like this, and may have prevailed.

As it was, Sudfeld was sacked, two plays later, and since our 1a QB had transferred to Illinois State, the season was effectively over.

Hoosier luck.

Re: The key for me from the Mizzou game....

Originally posted by mattndallas:

as DaHouse mentioned...

this wasn't a game like Oregon (DaHouse - a game we won/upset @ Ore back in 2004 or so) where we got like 6 TO's, and still managed to somehow meekly hold on for a win. We actually completed a drive to win a game (albiet with a game saving PI call), against what has turned out to be a very good team. Once Mizzou lost to Georgia, I was kinda bummed, thinking it cheapened our win...but they are indeed legit, and that now adds more weight to my belief that at "full strength", we are a pretty decent team. Maybe 7-5 or so this year, even with Sudfeld, but the Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, and Rutgers game would have been ALOT different with him....they actually would have been "winnable".

As it was, we were basically just "playing out the string", hoping to be able to compete w Purdue at the end.

From our standpoint...what could have been? Before Sudfeld went down against Iowa (in the 2nd Quarter), we had gone down 21-0, but Sud and the O (Coleman) had rallied us to 28-21. Sudfeld nailed Wynn (our 5'6" Sr receiver) on a 40 yard post right between the safeties, perfectly in stride, at like the 5 yard line...perfect pass for the tying TD....and Wynn dropped it. No contact. No hands in his face. Just a wide open, TD costing drop. Had he caught that, we'd have rallied from 21 down to catch up at 28-28, and we'd have all the momentum...our guys would have pulled from the confidence gained at Mizzou that they could win dogfights like this, and may have prevailed.

As it was, Sudfeld was sacked, two plays later, and since our 1a QB had transferred to Illinois State, the season was effectively over.

Hoosier luck.

Injuries a such a b*tch. It sunk your season, just as it sunk our season in 2012 when we finished under .500 for the first time in a while, 5-7. For the next year, we had to hear how we didn't belong in the SEC. It was quite humbling. But we managed to bounce back. I hope the Hoosiers do the same.

Re: The key for me from the Mizzou game....

Originally posted by DaHouse77:

Originally posted by mattndallas:

as DaHouse mentioned...

Hoosier luck.

Injuries a such a b*tch. It sunk your season, just as it sunk our season in 2012 when we finished under .500 for the first time in a while, 5-7. For the next year, we had to hear how we didn't belong in the SEC. It was quite humbling. But we managed to bounce back. I hope the Hoosiers do the same.
I think after winning the SEC East two years in a row....the "comments from others" will stop.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT