ADVERTISEMENT

From 9-3 To 4-8 Just In A Day

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
We have serious problems up-front on both sides of the football. In the 1st Qtr, their QB just stood there like a statue - "Zero Pressure". I thought that I was watching an Iowa Classic in 60 on BTN. Our best personnel up-front was presented on both sides & neither are B10 Championship caliber or even B10 ready This team will go 1-3 in September & maybe win 3 Big Ten games beyond that. At best, we are starring at 4-8 people. Reality set-in yesterday. Just like the Ole Miss game, we are proving to really not be that good against decent teams. The USA Today did not project us to even go to a bowl & everyone freaked. Looks pretty realistic now.

We have serious problems up-front on both sides of the football. In the 1st Qtr, their QB just stood there like a statue - "Zero Pressure". I thought that I was watching an Iowa Classic in 60 on BTN. Our best personnel up-front was presented on both sides & neither are B10 Championship caliber or even B10 ready This team will go 1-3 in September & maybe win 3 Big Ten games beyond that. At best, we are starring at 4-8 people. Reality set-in yesterday. Just like the Ole Miss game, we are proving to really not be that good against decent teams. The USA Today did not project us to even go to a bowl & everyone freaked. Looks pretty realistic now.
If reality set in for you after the Ole Miss game why did you predict 9-3?

I thought that I was watching an Iowa Classic in 60 on BTN.
You were. It will be in the future.

I think IU beats WKU at Bowling Green . . . and I think that it'll take a little time for this team to gel. I still believe in CTA's ability to get a team pulled together . . . especially if the implication that the broadcasters made yesterday is true about Penix not getting 1st unit snaps in the scrimmages or even practices. The guy's throwing mechanics looked like a guy wanting to avoid getting hit - he was throwing off his back foot, which tended to result in a pass too high for an intended receiver to catch - which, if true, might say something about Allen's expectations regarding Tuttle's effectiveness after seeing him in the bowl game against Ole Miss.

If this program is dependent upon a bolt out of the blue like a Michael Penix coming to town, then it's not near as far along as I'd hoped. And I agree that the OL looked shoddy yesterday . . . I'm less concerned about the DL, because we didn't look that bad against a very good RB and an experienced QB and didn't use our pressure to get to him until the 2nd half . . .

. . . what's more concerning is how good Iowa's OL looked in blocking our DL during the 1st half . . . no stunts is an issue for this group.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Come on people, act like you've been through a football season before. Show some ability to analyze what you are seeing rather than just looking at the scoreboard and spewing out platitudes and emotional vomit. Like I said elsewhere if you played that game 20 times it only plays out the way it did yesterday once. I'm not saying Iowa wouldn't win but I am saying they wouldn't win by four touchdowns. Football is a momentum game and yesterday it was like Iowa had a cheat code to grab momentum early and crush any attempts by the Hoosiers to wrest it back. When I criticized the refs I wasn't saying they cost IU the game I was saying it killed momentum that was building which could have changed the whole trajectory of the game. After all the great things these guys have accomplished in the last couple seasons they deserve better than toxic fans who throw in the towel after a game that at least in some respects had unicorn written all over it.

Come on people, act like you've been through a football season before. Show some ability to analyze what you are seeing rather than just looking at the scoreboard and spewing out platitudes and emotional vomit. Like I said elsewhere if you played that game 20 times it only plays out the way it did yesterday once. I'm not saying Iowa wouldn't win but I am saying they wouldn't win by four touchdowns. Football is a momentum game and yesterday it was like Iowa had a cheat code to grab momentum early and crush any attempts by the Hoosiers to wrest it back. When I criticized the refs I wasn't saying they cost IU the game I was saying it killed momentum that was building which could have changed the whole trajectory of the game. After all the great things these guys have accomplished in the last couple seasons they deserve better than toxic fans who throw in the towel after a game that at least in some respects had unicorn written all over it.
I think that Iowa being at home for the first game back with fans helped them immensely. And we we just plain flat the first 5 minutes of the game. That set the tone, and that's what played out for the rest of the first half.

Plus IU's front 4 got no pressure on the QB without dialing up the stunts like we did in the 2nd half. Without those stunts it was open season for Iowa's QB throwing the ball.

I ****ing hate message boards. We lose one ****ing game, and suddenly the whole season is over. Not to mention the people who never posted before the season and have never posted anything positive at all on the football board suddenly showing up to talk about how the team was a fraud all along or some sh*t.

If you expected 10-2 or better and thought anything else was a sign of failure, you were never being realistic to begin win. A opening loss on the road, in a notoriously difficult environment, with fans raucous after a year away, with the start the team had ratting their confidence (and anyone's confidence would be on rough standing after two TDs in like ninety seconds), is not the end of the world.

Jesus-freaking-Christ.

You are always going to see that with every fan base.

Clemson was held to 3 points on Saturday.

I ****ing hate message boards. We lose one ****ing game, and suddenly the whole season is over. Not to mention the people who never posted before the season and have never posted anything positive at all on the football board suddenly showing up to talk about how the team was a fraud all along or some sh*t.

If you expected 10-2 or better and thought anything else was a sign of failure, you were never being realistic to begin win. A opening loss on the road, in a notoriously difficult environment, with fans raucous after a year away, with the start the team had ratting their confidence (and anyone's confidence would be on rough standing after two TDs in like ninety seconds), is not the end of the world.

Jesus-freaking-Christ.
I appreciate your comments, but it was the way that we lost it. We got very little push from either line. That is my concern. What do you think that Ohio State will do to us up-front? There are grad students and previous starts on both sides. We got man-handled.. Iowa is not THAT good.. We made them appear OSU like. A recent radio show previewing the Big Ten said "It's to bad Penix plays behind one of the worst offensive lines in college football. He may be right..

Reactions: IUgradman
You know they only threw for 145 yards and rushed for 158 yardswith 56 coming on one play right. Iowa the team that has one one the best rbs in the country and a perennial run team. They had at least 17 points on 2 pick 6 s and another short field on another pick.

You know they only threw for 145 yards and rushed for 158 yardswith 56 coming on one play right. Iowa the team that has one one the best rbs in the country and a perennial run team. They had at least 17 points on 2 pick 6 s and another short field on another pick.
I like Anderson and Handy. The rest of the defense has a long way to go to be competitive.
We are also back to looking to the sideline as the opponent is snapping the ball. Confused and disoriented.

I like Anderson and Handy. The rest of the defense has a long way to go to be competitive.
We are also back to looking to the sideline as the opponent is snapping the ball. Confused and disoriented.
You know teams don’t huddle anymore on defense for the most part because of hurry up offenses. Also we were stemming early on defense and Iowa took us out of that by going on quick counts. Again I will keep saying we held a great rushing team to 158 yards with 56 coming on one play and in a game where the game was set up for them to run for a whole lot more.

That’s my fear. I want to keep telling myself IU just played a much superior team yesterday but it’s hard to justify it, Iowa didn’t look like world beaters. IU just played that bad. Petras played about how I thought he would, inefficient and ineffective down field, and outside the long TD run the running game was just ok.

But those lines up front . . . that's where teams are made and broken. All the rest of the scheming is just hiding the reality of the lines . . .

IU is a dumpster fire. They got their asses kicked. It wasn’t anywhere close to close. The rah rah crap makes it far worse. This is why people are pissed. Folks feel lied to, and hate that they fell for it AGAIN.
Lied to?

What? Are you 10 years old? 😂 It’s preseason chatter. There were no promises made by anyone connected with IU. You seem pretty obsessed with this game for a guy who says he has it all figured out and stopped following them 15 years ago.

What are you talking about? USA Today has us playing ASU. 🤦🏻 We need to stop all this EMO stuff. The OP of that thread missed it. Jesus people. We lost at Iowa with a qb that clearly isn’t 100%. We’ve fallen for the hype. Get over it.

You know teams don’t huddle anymore on defense for the most part because of hurry up offenses. Also we were stemming early on defense and Iowa took us out of that by going on quick counts. Again I will keep saying we held a great rushing team to 158 yards with 56 coming on one play and in a game where the game was set up for them to run for a whole lot more.
Yep. All they did was look at the Ol miss game. They did the same thing.

Sure they are. But the quick snap kept us from doing what we wanted on D.
Ole Miss is a up tempo no huddle team. Iowa is a low tempo team that huddles . Iowa wet to the line of scrimmage and went on a quick count. Ole Miss is a 10 or 11 personnel spread the. Iowa is a 22 personnel team that lines up under center. Not seeing how they took Ole Miss bowl game blueprint to beat IU.

I re-watched it last night and fall into the same category. I do think Iowa is a better team than Indiana and probably wins 12-15 times (in a 20 game set) at Kinnick, but Iowa's offense leaves way too much to be desired to say they are that much of a better football team. Not going to beat many teams spotting them a two TD lead 3 minutes in.

Ole Miss is a up tempo no huddle team. Iowa is a low tempo team that huddles . Iowa wet to the line of scrimmage and went on a quick count. Ole Miss is a 10 or 11 personnel spread the. Iowa is a 22 personnel team that lines up under center. Not seeing how they took Ole Miss bowl game blueprint to beat IU.
I get all that. It’s the quicker snap. People will look at both. Not arguing anything you have said.

Lol we are not going 4-8,good lord.
The sky is falling
The sky is falling

Lol we are not going 4-8,good lord.
The sky is falling
The sky is falling
We are only barely favored to win two more games. Last night could have gone either way. I still think that we are headed for 4-8 maybe 5-7 if we get some luck.

• Haha
Reactions: Bowlmania
Indiana was 8-5 in 2019.

Most covid-19 P5 programs that jumped up in 2020, like Iowa State, who were 7-6 in 2019, aren't trending well, as September ended.

Part of it is schedules change or flip. It is a new team and a new season/schedule.

There are teams that have been trending upward. But, usually that is over the course of more than one season.

Indiana can't breakout without better depth. It will take improved recruiting, which the Class of 2022 was appearing to be favorable.

Patience is a virtue.

Nice to see the win at Western Kentucky. It will be interesting to see how WKU plays this week at Michigan State.

They were close to losing Saturday night.

Talk about a special teams collapse by Nebraska.

From 2010 to 2014, Iowa really saw how special teams decline hurt Kirk Ferentz's program. The loss against Wisconsin hung over Iowa, until last year's 28-7 win over the Badgers.

Nebraska is 2-3. Special teams has cost them in all three losses. Leadership at top hasn't been good either, but look back at Illinois, Oklahoma and now, Michigan State.

The punt went one direction and the coverage another.

Communication is so important in all phases of the game.

We are only barely favored to win two more games. Last night could have gone either way. I still think that we are headed for 4-8 maybe 5-7 if we get some luck.
Completely agree. Only Rutgers and Purdue seem winnable and both of those will be very close matchups.

Edit: forgot about Minny. They’re not good, so 5-7 is very doable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT