ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Fun - IU Schedule Next Year Optimist vs. "Here We Go Again" Pessimist

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Looking to next year, if one wanted to be a super optimist or a "I've seen it before" Negative Nellie (which we have a few of those on this board!), the season could have IU playing Purdue for an undefeated miracle season with national final four bids down to playing for a 6-6 bowl eligibility year! See each game and the two sides of the fan debate below each game.

Sep 4 @ Iowa
IU plays well, defense picks up where left off and Penix does too, looks like Camp Randall last season, IU 1-0. OR Iowa is the tough place to play, IU rusty and Iowa grinds out the close win. 0-1

SEP 11 (SAT) Idaho @ IU
Don't see IU losing this home opener under circumstances. IU 2-0 or 1-1

Sept 18 Cinci @ IU
Home game, two games to work out kinks and Penix & offense able to outscore & win game. IU 3-0 OR Cinci was for real last year, they have speed and IU feels pressure of big game. 1-2

SEP 25 (SAT) TBA @ Western KY
The better team who should win shows up and not only wins, back ups get time too. IU 4-0 AND I believe IU will figure out a way to win this one even on the road. 2-2

Oct 2 @ Penn St
The rematch game, PSU wants revenge, but IU D is stout and RB game grinds out IU close win. 5-0 OR Revenge is real, PSU has 100K going nuts in a white out and wins going away in 4th. 2-3

Oct 16 Home vs. MSU
Tucker is still in year two building up his team, IU rolls confidently. 6-0 AND I don't see MSU upset of IU at home next year, so IU 3-3

Oct 23 Home vs. OSU
If IU is rolling as hoped, this is THE national gameday, two undefeated B10 leaders, and IU gets monkey off it's back finally! IU 7-0 OR The OSU train replenishes, does its thing, pulls out the win. IU 3-4

Oct 30 @ MD
Coming off OSU win, this has upset/let down all over it, but the Defense carries us until late Campbell FG wins late in 4th! IU 8-0 OR MD recruiting starts to show, IU has big target on them...Upset! IU 3-5

Nov 6 @ Michigan
UM waiting for their own revenge game too at Big House, but IU still has their number, defense again is the key! IU 9-0 OR Harbaugh on hot seat has them playing much better, 100K fans boost them. IU 3-6

Nov 13 Rutgers at IU
Schianno has RU playing much better, but the home cooking & IU confidence is too much. IU 10-0 AND I don't see an upset in this game either. IU 4-6

Nov 20 Minny at IU
Coming off week got to rest some vs. Rutgers, IU plays Gophers well, control from the start. IU 11-0 AND I also think IU wins this game at home next year. IU 5-6

Nov 27 @ Purdue Bucket game
Per usual, PU is up for this home game, but IU playing for National Championship bid, Bucket stays at IU! 12-0! AND to salvage disappointing season, Hoosiers show grit to win and become bowl eligible at 6-6.

A shot at national championship would be incredible turn for IU, hard to fathom really, but fun to do so. And even in a pessimists year, at least IU finishes 3-0 to go to a bowl with end of year momentum!

Looking to next year, if one wanted to be a super optimist or a "I've seen it before" Negative Nellie (which we have a few of those on this board!), the season could have IU playing Purdue for an undefeated miracle season with national final four bids down to playing for a 6-6 bowl eligibility year! See each game and the two sides of the fan debate below each game.

Sep 4 @ Iowa
IU plays well, defense picks up where left off and Penix does too, looks like Camp Randall last season, IU 1-0. OR Iowa is the tough place to play, IU rusty and Iowa grinds out the close win. 0-1

SEP 11 (SAT) Idaho @ IU

Sept 18 Cinci @ IU
Home game, two games to work out kinks and Penix & offense able to outscore & win game. IU 3-0 OR Cinci was for real last year, they have speed and IU feels pressure of big game. 1-2

The better team who should win shows up and not only wins, back ups get time too. IU 4-0 AND I believe IU will figure out a way to win this one even on the road. 2-2

Oct 2 @ Penn St
The rematch game, PSU wants revenge, but IU D is stout and RB game grinds out IU close win. 5-0 OR Revenge is real, PSU has 100K going nuts in a white out and wins going away in 4th. 2-3

Oct 16 Home vs. MSU
Tucker is still in year two building up his team, IU rolls confidently. 6-0 AND I don't see MSU upset of IU at home next year, so IU 3-3

Oct 23 Home vs. OSU
If IU is rolling as hoped, this is THE national gameday, two undefeated B10 leaders, and IU gets monkey off it's back finally! IU 7-0 OR The OSU train replenishes, does its thing, pulls out the win. IU 3-4

Oct 30 @ MD
Coming off OSU win, this has upset/let down all over it, but the Defense carries us until late Campbell FG wins late in 4th! IU 8-0 OR MD recruiting starts to show, IU has big target on them...Upset! IU 3-5

Nov 6 @ Michigan
UM waiting for their own revenge game too at Big House, but IU still has their number, defense again is the key! IU 9-0 OR Harbaugh on hot seat has them playing much better, 100K fans boost them. IU 3-6

Nov 13 Rutgers at IU
Schianno has RU playing much better, but the home cooking & IU confidence is too much. IU 10-0 AND I don't see an upset in this game either. IU 4-6

Nov 20 Minny at IU
Coming off week got to rest some vs. Rutgers, IU plays Gophers well, control from the start. IU 11-0 AND I also think IU wins this game at home next year. IU 5-6

Per usual, PU is up for this home game, but IU playing for National Championship bid, Bucket stays at IU! 12-0! AND to salvage disappointing season, Hoosiers show grit to win and become bowl eligible at 6-6.

A shot at national championship would be incredible turn for IU, hard to fathom really, but fun to do so. And even in a pessimists year, at least IU finishes 3-0 to go to a bowl with end of year momentum!
I like your optimistic season and realize something could happen IE injuries, to derail the Hoosiers like it can for any team. I think the 2021 season can be a very special year for the Hoosiers with them coming out and taking it to the teams on their schedule.

Sep 4 @ Iowa

SEP 11 (SAT) Idaho @ IU

Sept 18 Cinci @ IU

Oct 2 @ Penn St

Oct 16 Home vs. MSU

Oct 23 Home vs. OSU

Oct 30 @ MD

Nov 6 @ Michigan

Nov 13 Rutgers at IU

Nov 20 Minny at IU

Not a single game on the schedule is unwinnable.

It's certainly not the IU of yore where they would ride 4 horses as hard as they could until they run out of gas down the back stretch. Can IU survive unscathed through a VERY difficult schedule? I'd be surprised. Even OSU drops at least one game most years.

Overall, I think your analysis is on-point with the possible W-L spread. I think the ceiling is 12 and the floor is probably 5. Hoping they trend to the former.

Not a single game on the schedule is unwinnable.

It's certainly not the IU of yore where they would ride 4 horses as hard as they could until they run out of gas down the back stretch. Can IU survive unscathed through a VERY difficult schedule? I'd be surprised. Even OSU drops at least one game most years.

Overall, I think your analysis is on-point with the possible W-L spread. I think the ceiling is 12 and the floor is probably 5. Hoping they trend to the former.
Agreed that there are no "unwinnable" games, but there are several that are eminently lose-able.

No question that the team is trending up, but attaining the kind of winning percentage in conference play like we achieved last year may be a reach. First, I don't like that this is a year with only four conference home games. And, with fans almost certainly returning, there will be clear home field advantage this season.

Next, Maryland leads the conference in returning production, and a Schiano-coached team (Rutgers) is always ready to play. Neither of those games is a gimme.

Further, we're breaking in a new DC and our OC, in my opinion, is unproven.

Finally, will the QB come back strong from his 2020 season-ending injury and make it through the 12 game schedule? That's the real wild card.

I see a win total range of between 5 and 10, with 7 to 9 wins the most likely scenario.

Indiana's defense will lead them to a big season. If Penix stays healthy, I expect a 9-10 win season. If Penix goes down, I still expect an 8 win season. I think the defense will be possibly the best in school history.
I agree about the defense and if the offense can do much better this coming season then it should be a very good season for IU. I expect IU will be 13-0 going into the play-offs until they show me different.

I agree about the defense and if the offense can do much better this coming season then it should be a very good season for IU. I expect IU will be 13-0 going into the play-offs until they show me different.

Oddly enough..., the one game that Really worries me is Western Kentucky At their place...

We should move heaven and earth to flip that to a HOME game this year, in my opinion... ((if that's still possible))

That'll be their biggest game of the year with a team full of guys who feel they have something to prove... We are the better TEAM but...

Oddly enough..., the one game that Really worries me is Western Kentucky At their place...

We should move heaven and earth to flip that to a HOME game this year, in my opinion... ((if that's still possible))

That'll be their biggest game of the year with a team full of guys who feel they have something to prove... We are the better TEAM but...
When has IU laid an egg against inferior teams the past two years with this staff and talent IU now has? Relax and know this team will not let us down.

When has IU laid an egg against inferior teams the past two years with this staff and talent IU now has? Relax and know this team will not let us down.

I've Never gotten over UCONN at their place to open their new stadium (quite possibly the worst scheduling gaff ever)...

It's like accidentally having grabbed a hot pokker... Once it's happened you stay a little cautious, if not actually gun shy...😉

If you expect IU to go 13-0 or even 11-2 I have to ask.....WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN'?

This will be a normal season with the beasts that we conquered in '20 playing more up to their expectations. Plus the revenge factor. Still, I know this is a potentially dangerous team. Ceiling is a split with OSU,PSU,MSU and UM. There's 2 losses. And realistically another loss from either Cincy or Iowa. That's a 10-3 season and I think most of us would be ecstatic. But, I think it's going to be an 8 or 9 win season. I can live with that as long as the recruits keep on comin'.

If you expect IU to go 13-0 or even 11-2 I have to ask.....WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN'?

This will be a normal season with the beasts that we conquered in '20 playing more up to their expectations. Plus the revenge factor. Still, I know this is a potentially dangerous team. Ceiling is a split with OSU,PSU,MSU and UM. There's 2 losses. And realistically another loss from either Cincy or Iowa. That's a 10-3 season and I think most of us would be ecstatic. But, I think it's going to be an 8 or 9 win season. I can live with that as long as the recruits keep on comin'.
Maybe your math included a bowl game? As it’s a 12-week regular season. 12-0 would be tough I agree, but the potential is there. Of “big four split” I don’t think losing at home to MSU next year will happen. But agree 5 games could be toss ups at best for sure: @IA, Cinci, @PSU, OSU & @UM. Lose them all and it’s a 7-5 season.

My comment about 13-0 is just following coach Allen's mantra as I know IU would be very lucky to make it to 13-0. If I were asked my realistic prediction then it would be far different but this team has shown me that I should expect 13-0 until they show they aren't capable of that kind of season. MSU of the past could come up with a season like that and I don't see why with this team it isn't possible. On the other hand I won't be crushed if they lose four games due to injuries or illness. It doesn't look like MSU or Michigan gaining enough on IU this season. PSU has a new OC so we don't know how they will be when IU plays them. OSU has a new QB and lost a lot of talent to the NFL so we really don't know how good they will be, just like we don't know for sure if our defense will get better with our new DC or slip a bit. Fields was a special QB that IU made look average so running with a new QB isn't a sure thing for OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT