ADVERTISEMENT

Free agent signings

rcaulfie

Junior
Feb 17, 2006
I just looked through all of the NFL teams, and appears only Oliver (Eagles) and Camiel (Texans) were picked up. Could there still be more? I hope so.....sure doesn't appear Redding made the right decision to leave a year early, if he doesn't even get a shot with a team.

link

I just looked through all of the NFL teams, and appears only Oliver (Eagles) and Camiel (Texans) were picked up. Could there still be more? I hope so.....sure doesn't appear Redding made the right decision to leave a year early, if he doesn't even get a shot with a team.

link

I'm surprised Big Ralph hasn't gotten a sniff . . . might be because of the 2015 incident on the public record.

I'm surprised Big Ralph hasn't gotten a sniff . . . might be because of the 2015 incident on the public record.
That's probably part of it. His tested foot speed is what's probably keeping most away. A 5.7 plus 40 is glacial. He looked a lot quicker then that in live action.

Reactions: Sope Creek
There has been a lot of talk from a few posters on here that we will be lucky to get to 5-7 from all that we lost and with the coaching change. They keep pointing to Green and Redding (a lot of love for Big Ralph, especially). I'm not trying to knock them, but I think this goes to my point that we can replace them pretty easily. I really think Hoff alone is just as good as Green, if not better. I've said along, the only place we lose is the OL and it appears the NFL agrees with me.

There has been a lot of talk from a few posters on here that we will be lucky to get to 5-7 from all that we lost and with the coaching change. They keep pointing to Green and Redding (a lot of love for Big Ralph, especially). I'm not trying to knock them, but I think this goes to my point that we can replace them pretty easily. I really think Hoff alone is just as good as Green, if not better. I've said along, the only place we lose is the OL and it appears the NFL agrees with me.
I think fandom tends to overrate a lot of players sometimes. If you talk to Purdue fans, they think this guy or that guy should get shot because they've watched him for 4 years and they think he's really good. Ask a Wisconsin fan about that same guy and they'd say no way are they that good. We dominated them for 4 years.

It's like that every where you go. Fans know more about the player and they get a personal affection with them because they play for and represent their favorite school. They grow attached and because of that they tend to over-inflate their abilities. The common theme to a fandom post is player x can make a roster because he gives max effort and has a ton of heart. And player x probably does because he has pride in himself and his team, but that doesn't make him a pro prospect. It just means he gives good effort.

Green III, Redding, Paige, etc all lack a lot of key things that NFL pro personnel people look for. However these kids also excel in an area or two and fandom loves to latch on to that and run and post about it. But it's not shocking that any of these guys didn't get a call. They all worked out for teams privately or at all star events or even at the combine. Plenty of people saw there best and it simply wasn't good enough for a variety of reasons.

The one surprise to me is Redding. Not that I think he'll make a roster, I don't, but he was a combine invite and usually they get picked up by someone. But I think he'll be good enough for Canada if he wants to keep playing. But RGIII and Paige just had too many holes. They were good role players for IU, but that's about it.

It's like that every where you go. Fans know more about the player and they get a personal affection with them because they play for and represent their favorite school. They grow attached and because of that they tend to over-inflate their abilities.
If only the Pacers had taken Alford instead of that skinny kid from UCLA...

The one guy I think we will miss is Oliver.

I get the argument about the coaching change, although the impact is mitigated to some extent since the new HC was promoted from within and will continue to have his hands all over a greatly improved defense.

I can't comprehend the "all that we lost" argument, though. Sure, we lost some important contributors, as every team did and does every year. But we lost far fewer than most. We're 13th nationally in overall returning production, with 79% of our production suiting up again in 2017. Defensively, we're first nationally with 96% returning defensive production, which projects to 5.4 fewer points given up per game. That's huge. Offensively, we're middle of the pack nationally - No. 67, with 63% returning offensive production. That translates to eight-tenths of an additional point per game. A healthy Patrick at RB, though, would suggest a much more significant gain.

Hey, we're all homers so it's tough to be objective. But these stats point to continuing improvement. If the OL jells and Lagow does a better job of keeping the ball out of the hands of the other team, this will be a 7+ win season.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...eturning-starters-experience-oregon-tcu-texas

Wow...seems a lack of understanding the difference betwern pro and college ball. Geeesh...some kids are great college players, difficult to impossible to replace, that never make it to pro ball, or fail soon after.

By the logic applied by some in this thread...Anthony Thompson was an over rated college player because he was to slow for the pros. How does that wash out? Therr are so many examples.

It doesnt matter what the NFL thinks of our players if we cant replace them wth equal or better talent. Some of the comments here seem shockingly niave about talent evaluation. Whether thats correct will be evident this fall.

Reactions: DANC and Monday QB
I have been surprised in the past by place kickers that we have had that did not make the NFL. I thought Mitch Ewald would have definitely had an NFL career. I doesn't make sense that a great kicker in college would not translate to a career in pro ball. I can only remember Pete Stoyanovich having a pro career and Dan Stryzinski having many years as a pro punter.

I think fandom tends to overrate a lot of players sometimes. If you talk to Purdue fans, they think this guy or that guy should get shot because they've watched him for 4 years and they think he's really good. Ask a Wisconsin fan about that same guy and they'd say no way are they that good. We dominated them for 4 years.

It's like that every where you go. Fans know more about the player and they get a personal affection with them because they play for and represent their favorite school. They grow attached and because of that they tend to over-inflate their abilities. The common theme to a fandom post is player x can make a roster because he gives max effort and has a ton of heart. And player x probably does because he has pride in himself and his team, but that doesn't make him a pro prospect. It just means he gives good effort.

Green III, Redding, Paige, etc all lack a lot of key things that NFL pro personnel people look for. However these kids also excel in an area or two and fandom loves to latch on to that and run and post about it. But it's not shocking that any of these guys didn't get a call. They all worked out for teams privately or at all star events or even at the combine. Plenty of people saw there best and it simply wasn't good enough for a variety of reasons.

The one surprise to me is Redding. Not that I think he'll make a roster, I don't, but he was a combine invite and usually they get picked up by someone. But I think he'll be good enough for Canada if he wants to keep playing. But RGIII and Paige just had too many holes. They were good role players for IU, but that's about it.

In addition to his 5.68 40 yard dash, Ralph only managed 16 reps on the bench press.

Redding had a slow 40 time also - 4.78, IIRC - and he kept getting replaced because he couldn't hang onto the ball.

After poking around a little bit, I'm getting a better understanding of why these guys aren't getting a look. Not surprising when you look at the measureables.

Last edited:
Its tough to make the pros. I forget the odds of a college player actually making with a team after graduation. Its not good. Does that mean they were poor or just average college players? Of course not, thats absurd. Only a few stick with an NFL team.

Redding got a combine invite because of his back to back 1000 yard seasons. But his combine did not go well. He was had the 2nd slowest 40 time among RBs, and the guy behind him the next several in front of him were FB's that had 30lbs on him. Not sure if it was just a bad day or if he just really is that slow, but that's clearly what held him back from signing somewhere as a FA.

Redding got a combine invite because of his back to back 1000 yard seasons. But his combine did not go well. He was had the 2nd slowest 40 time among RBs, and the guy behind him the next several in front of him were FB's that had 30lbs on him. Not sure if it was just a bad day or if he just really is that slow, but that's clearly what held him back from signing somewhere as a FA.
This is kinda tragic...left school for a dream that turned into a nightmare. Who advised him to turn pro? Canada aint the NFL, but the pay is better than working a gas station. Does he have his degree? Hope so...make a world of difference. Can a player return on scholarship but no eligibility? Just wondering...

I get the argument about the coaching change, although the impact is mitigated to some extent since the new HC was promoted from within and will continue to have his hands all over a greatly improved defense.

I can't comprehend the "all that we lost" argument, though. Sure, we lost some important contributors, as every team did and does every year. But we lost far fewer than most. We're 13th nationally in overall returning production, with 79% of our production suiting up again in 2017. Defensively, we're first nationally with 96% returning defensive production, which projects to 5.4 fewer points given up per game. That's huge. Offensively, we're middle of the pack nationally - No. 67, with 63% returning offensive production. That translates to eight-tenths of an additional point per game. A healthy Patrick at RB, though, would suggest a much more significant gain.

Hey, we're all homers so it's tough to be objective. But these stats point to continuing improvement. If the OL jells and Lagow does a better job of keeping the ball out of the hands of the other team, this will be a 7+ win season.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...eturning-starters-experience-oregon-tcu-texas

That has been my argument all along, and the draft and free agent signings pretty much back us both up. Yet, some still want to try to spin things to try to make their point valid....smh.....

Reactions: Bowlmania
He was slow at the combine, but he ran much better at IU's pro day. And that was in front of every team.

That has been my argument all along, and the draft and free agent signings pretty much back us both up. Yet, some still want to try to spin things to try to make their point valid....smh.....
It's one guy, basically, who (and I'll be tactful here) isn't thinking clearly.

This is kinda tragic...left school for a dream that turned into a nightmare. Who advised him to turn pro? Canada aint the NFL, but the pay is better than working a gas station. Does he have his degree? Hope so...make a world of difference. Can a player return on scholarship but no eligibility? Just wondering...

I don't really want to get into a judging or criticizing a player's decision to leave early. We don't really know what is primary motivations were and what all played into his decision. For all we know, he still may be happy with his decision to leave. I think most fans come from the perspective that all players just want to keep playing on the highest stage possible for as long as possible.

Though, maybe he was done or largely done with having a desire to play football, maybe he had some lingering minor injury issues and was unsure of how long his body would hold on. Then perhaps he decided he was going to take a swing at trying to cash in on football for a few years while he still has the emotional/mental and physical capacity to do so.

Oh you silly boys...naive. Proof begins in the fall. How long you boys been following FB? Not long...obviously...vvbg...

I believe so, at least regarding IU. I was reading an article regarding the guys who've declared for the NBA, and the indication there was that Cody has been able to take classes with IU paying his tuition. I can't imagine Redding being in a different position, since Cody clearly could've affording to pay for on-line classes with his NBA earnings.

Our bill of rights guarantees that Redding or anyone who leaves early can come back and finish their degree for free.

Reactions: Sassy61
So glad to hear the Chiefs picked him up. Long shot but a chance. Its up to him. Best of luck. So much for our swami talent evaluators...lol

Do we know for certain that Redding didn't graduate? RB's have a short shelf life so I can understand him wanting to leave after having the 2 back to back season of over 1000 yards. His value as a young early entrant was going to be better than coming back for another 1000 yards and being a year older.

Do we know for certain that Redding didn't graduate? RB's have a short shelf life so I can understand him wanting to leave after having the 2 back to back season of over 1000 yards. His value as a young early entrant was going to be better than coming back for another 1000 yards and being a year older.
Yeah, IU athletics always announces their winter and spring graduates. As long as he left in good standing, he can come back and finish his degree for free.

Yeah, IU athletics always announces their winter and spring graduates. As long as he left in good standing, he can come back and finish his degree for free.

I understood the ability to come back and still get his education paid for. I just didn't know if he had already graduated. I guess even if he's close to graduating, it would just make sense to leave due to the position he's playing (high injury, wear and tear) and the value RB's have in the league. Younger legs equate to higher value. He proved himself to be who he is during his time at IU. Yes, had he come back and ran for 2k yards, then he would've gained more interest. We know the odds of that (especially with KW gone) were not likely. He's better off just heading to the league, giving it a go and then coming back and finishing school if it falls through.

The decision has become more of a dynamic one over the years. It used to just be "can he play at the next level" but now there are so many other factors that go into making the choice that it goes well beyond what the previous discussions were.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT