ADVERTISEMENT

Freaking Wisconsin.......

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Hit 18/19 FTs and 12 3 pointers at home to nip Purdue....SS misses 2 3 pointers toward the end when PU down 2. Now 9-6 on the season, despite the fact that the only player they had with above average offensive ability quit the team.

Still.......most boring team in the country.

Hit 18/19 FTs and 12 3 pointers at home to nip Purdue....SS misses 2 3 pointers toward the end when PU down 2. Now 9-6 on the season, despite the fact that the only player they had with above average offensive ability quit the team.

I'll take boring W's over exciting L's any day of the week!

only 'exciting' loss I remember was home vs Maryland...and the end of that game pretty much sucked.

We need wins.....boring or otherwise. Program is treading water and tide is starting to rise.
I'm old enough to remember people grumbling about Knight's slow, methodical, boring style of play when he first got here. We were the Hurryin' Hoosiers, for cryin' out loud. Going to the Final Four in his second year quieted that shit down.

I suppose frustrating at least isn't "boring" but watching either of our offenses, particularly on the road, is like watching a toddler trying to assemble a gas grill.

I'm old enough to remember people grumbling about Knight's slow, methodical, boring style of play when he first got here. We were the Hurryin' Hoosiers, for cryin' out loud. Going to the Final Four in his second year quieted that shit down.

But he didn't have his own players! How in the hell could he have done that? Smiling Face...……...and without George McGinnis too.

Usually the only people who complain about winning basketball are the fans of the teams they are beating. I like teams that play with a purpose and determination, especially at the defensive end. But the main component is just win. I would have no trouble rooting for a "slow, boring, methodical, defense-first" style if we are winning!

I'll take boring W's over exciting L's any day of the week!
I would too. I'd even take exciting L's over the L's this team gives us. If the team is going to lose, it may as well be exciting rather than the excrement we get to watch.

Usually the only people who complain about winning basketball are the fans of the teams they are beating. I like teams that play with a purpose and determination, especially at the defensive end. But the main component is just win. I would have no trouble rooting for a "slow, boring, methodical, defense-first" style if we are winning!

I would also.......but there has to be a big potential upside. That is, it would be hard for me as a fan to get excited about this year's Wisconsin team.....throw in Kominsky and I'm with you.

Aside from us sadly

That slow play complaint shit you speak so eloquently in reference to quieted down much sooner than his second season’s Final Four. Knight won the first four games of his IU career, including coaching his unranked team to victories over #14 Kansas and #3 Kentucky.

That slow play complaint shit you speak so eloquently in reference to quieted down much sooner than his second season’s Final Four. Knight won the first four games of his IU career, including coaching his unranked team to victories over #14 Kansas and #3 Kentucky.

Remember early on when Knight used to start stalling with a 1 point lead and 8 minutes to go.....with Buckner and his 55% FT percentage........that was real tension.

Remember early on when Knight used to start stalling with a 1 point lead and 8 minutes to go.....with Buckner and his 55% FT percentage........that was real tension.
I remember Bob Knight teams passing the ball around until the opponent was forced to switch out of their zone. Either that or lull the opposition to sleep and do a surprise back cut off of a screen for an easy layup, whichever came first. Next thing we knew was a 3 pt. lead with even less time left and not having to worry about Buckner at the line because IU was back on defense.

Reactions: Radio Zero

And, early on, when the crowd wanted the Hoosiers to turn it up, Bootsie White dribbled near Knight and said, "Don't worry, Chief, I don't hear them."

And, early on, when the crowd wanted the Hoosiers to turn it up, Bootsie White dribbled near Knight and said, "Don't worry, Chief, I don't hear them."
That's a good story, if true. If not true, it's still a story. So tell me, when was it Chief Knight gained rank to General? Of course, we all know when he lost all rank. It was at "Hey, Knight!"

Reactions: Univee2
That's a good story, if true. If not true, it's still a story. So tell me, when was it Chief Knight gained rank to General? Of course, we all know when he lost all rank. It was at "Hey, Knight!"

It is a great story and I believe it's true. Also funny as hell.

It was a huge change from the run-and-gun Hoosiers. The fans at Assembly Hall were a little anxious and impatient. They wanted shots and points. That's what everyone knew and expected. All this defense and this new, different style of offense was a sea change. We learned quickly, however, that this crazy man had something special and we liked it after we saw its effectiveness and success.

Still amazes me that any sentient person on campus or even in town would have ever said something like "Hey, Knight!" It's something so alien I still can't get my head around it. If you were in Indy and you saw the Colts' or Pacers' head coach walking into a restaurant, for example, would you say something similar?

It was a huge change from the run-and-gun Hoosiers. The fans at Assembly Hall were a little anxious and impatient. They wanted shots and points. That's what everyone knew and expected. All this defense and this new, different style of offense was a sea change. We learned quickly, however, that this crazy man had something special and we liked it after we saw its effectiveness and success.

Still amazes me that any sentient person on campus or even in town would have ever said something like "Hey, Knight!" It's something so alien I still can't get my head around it. If you were in Indy and you saw the Colts' or Pacers' head coach walking into a restaurant, for example, would you say something similar?
Still amazes me Knight grabbed the kid over something as dumb as that.

UncleMark said:

But he didn't have his own players! How in the hell could he have done that? Smiling Face...……...and without George McGinnis too.
[/quote]
Steve Downing and Defense

Regarding the IU student, not one person in the press ever spoke negatively toward his utterly disrespectful act, yet here was an honored teacher so strapped by social politics that he wasn’t allowed to give this student a lesson in manners, but instead was criticized universally for HIS “bad” behavior. That just goes to show how warped our values in society have become. The IU administrators were pitiful in their performance back then and they have yet to recover.

IU is not even in the same conversation as Wisconsin. They are something like 26-4 against IU. We might as well be comparing IU and Duke.

Still amazes me Knight grabbed the kid over something as dumb as that.
Didn’t surprise me at all. Kid was disrespectful and knight put him in his place as he should have. Just so happened that the kid was also a tattle tale bitch who’s dad was connected.

Well, he was respectful to those he chose to be respectful to. It was hardly universal on his part. But I still can’t believe he grabbed another adult like that. It was really dumb.
Respect is given to those that deserve it. It was a punk kid who needed to be taught a lesson

Reactions: Cavanagh
Regarding the IU student, not one person in the press ever spoke negatively toward his utterly disrespectful act, yet here was an honored teacher so strapped by social politics that he wasn’t allowed to give this student a lesson in manners, but instead was criticized universally for HIS “bad” behavior. That just goes to show how warped our values in society have become. The IU administrators were pitiful in their performance back then and they have yet to recover.
How many of your kid’s teachers were permitted to grab one of them by the arm to teach them a lesson in manners? How would that have gone over with either you or the school?

How many of your kid’s teachers were permitted to grab one of them by the arm to teach them a lesson in manners? How would that have gone over with either you or the school?
You realize how much better times were when students were paddled right? Discipline is a good thing. Man, didn’t realize you were such a pussy.

It would depend upon the given circumstances of that particular case. Just because it’s my kid doesn’t mean I don’t let others give lessons, esp. if it’s just grabbing my kid to get his attention after being disrespectful to adults.

You realize how much better times were when students were paddled right? Discipline is a good thing. Man, didn’t realize you were such a pussy.
Nah, I was always much more impressed with people who could teach lessons and instill values, all without hitting children.

It would depend upon the given circumstances of that particular case. Just because it’s my kid doesn’t mean I don’t let others give lessons, esp. if it’s just grabbing my kid to get his attention after being disrespectful to adults.
Wasn’t Harvey 18 and a college student? Wasn’t it one adult being “disrespectful” to another? Should Harvey have broken away and punched Knight in response to Knight grabbing him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT