ADVERTISEMENT

Francis Fukuyama lectures at IU

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

Next week, IU is hosting lectures by Francis Fukuyama.

Monday's is on Russia and Ukraine; Tuesday and Thursday he'll cover the following topic:

Democratic Decision-making and the Climate Crisis, Part II​

Francis Fukuyama, Olivier Nomellini Senior Fellow at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies (FSI) and director of the Ford Dorsey Master’s in International Policy at Stanford University
Liberal democracies constrain power by imposing legal constraints on the exercise of power. Among developed democracies, the United States has one of the most extensive sets of checks and balances. When combined with the country’s current polarization, this institutional setup often leads to what I have termed “vetocracy,” in which there are so many veto points that even the simplest forms of collective action become impossible.Is there a way of reducing vetocracy without undermining basic principles of liberal democracy? We do not want to imitate China, which stands at the opposite end of the spectrum as a consolidated authoritarian state with virtually no checks on the power of the Communist Party.

I think I'm going to attend at least one since I'm planning on taking the family for a last minute spring break trip to Bloomington for a few days. First time the kids will see IU and Bloomington.

A few logistical questions:

1. Where do you park if you want to go on campus to a talk? Still at the Union?

2. Best places to eat in town for family? Staying at the Graduate(?) so I think we can walk downtown and the campus relatively easily.

3. Are classroom buildings open to the public? HPER? Assembly Hall?

4. Is TIS still the best place to score merch?

5. If I want to complain in person about university IT service from the guy who spends all his time on message boards, where would I make that complaint?

Where do you park if you want to go on campus to a talk? Still at the Union?
Yes, IMU

2. Best places to eat in town for family? Staying at the Graduate(?) so I think we can walk downtown and the campus relatively easily.

Depends on how much you want to spend. Uptown is my favorite more expensive spot, though not expensive by big city standards. 4th Street has a good Tai, My Thai. Buffaloies or Dagwoods for sandwiches. Pizza, get over to Mother Bears or walk down to Pizzaria
Are classroom buildings open to the public? HPER? Assembly Hall?

A) yes, the buildings are open. The rooms are open unless in use

B) yes, you can get into parts of HPER, unless you want to pay you can't use the facilities. But you can see the pool through the window, watch pickup games, watch coeds running on the track

C) I really do not know. There is a merch store on the west side, you can at least get there.

Is TIS still the best place to score merch?

There are other places, next to Nick's is a place, and at the corner of Kirkwood and Indiana. Both easy to get to downtown. TIS is near Mother Bears if you want to combine that. Its merch business is still around, the vast majority of the store is empty as books aren't really used anymore.

If I want to complain in person about university IT service from the guy who spends all his time on message boards, where would I make that complaint?

No one would believe that, better off not appearing crazy by suggesting such.

Depends on how much you want to spend. Uptown is my favorite more expensive spot, though not expensive by big city standards. 4th Street has a good Tai, My Thai. Buffaloies or Dagwoods for sandwiches. Pizza, get over to Mother Bears or walk down to Pizzaria

I'm thinking your boys are preteen, say 8-10?

You can take them ito Nick's if you want to make them think they really got to see something special that screams College! Good grub for kids too. Believe you have to stay in the front section downstairs.

Monday's is on Russia and Ukraine; Tuesday and Thursday he'll cover the following topic:

Francis Fukuyama, Olivier Nomellini Senior Fellow at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies (FSI) and director of the Ford Dorsey Master’s in International Policy at Stanford University
Liberal democracies constrain power by imposing legal constraints on the exercise of power. Among developed democracies, the United States has one of the most extensive sets of checks and balances. When combined with the country’s current polarization, this institutional setup often leads to what I have termed “vetocracy,” in which there are so many veto points that even the simplest forms of collective action become impossible.Is there a way of reducing vetocracy without undermining basic principles of liberal democracy? We do not want to imitate China, which stands at the opposite end of the spectrum as a consolidated authoritarian state with virtually no checks on the power of the Communist Party.

I think I'm going to attend at least one since I'm planning on taking the family for a last minute spring break trip to Bloomington for a few days. First time the kids will see IU and Bloomington.

5. If I want to complain in person about university IT service from the guy who spends all his time on message boards, where would I make that complaint?

Oh, and someone had tried to get me to go to the Ukraine talk but a family member has a medical procedure coming up that will require me to be around.

Oh, and someone had tried to get me to go to the Ukraine talk but a family member has a medical procedure coming up that will require me to be around.
What about the one on Tuesday?

Anyone else on here who would want to go? First round afterwards is on me.
I'm thinking your boys are preteen, say 8-10?

You can take them ito Nick's if you want to make them think they really got to see something special that screams College! Good grub for kids too. Believe you have to stay in the front section downstairs.
Boy is 12, daughter is 15. I think we'll definitely do Nick's one day for lunch.

Unfortunately, I don’t get to Bloomington that often, so I’m no longer in the know, but Irish Lion was one of my favorite spots.

Runcible Spoon is nice for breakfast. DaVincis good for pizza and Italian, also Malibu is another pricey but nice option. Walk the kids around the Union and the Food Court, Chocolate Moose and Sugar and Spice. ( Nicks is closed on Monday now). Social Cantina good for Mexican.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
What about the one on Tuesday?

Anyone else on here who would want to go? First round afterwards is on me.

Boy is 12, daughter is 15. I think we'll definitely do Nick's one day for lunch.
I took my daughter last fall. she had a blast. or fall before last actually. stayed at the union. the graduate is a great choice. you can walk to the union from the graduate. had lunch at nick's. ate at irish lion. sat outside. sat morning went to the farmer's market. shopped at the bookstore and the stores along kirkwood. definitely take your kids to the union. we got into assembly hall. the court was open. just pop into shops at the square. we ended up eating at malibu grill. irish lion. nick's. some bbq place right across from the graduate. village breakfast. and we walked campus. fountain. theatre etc. your kids will have a blast.

Fat Dan's across the street has solid burgers, dog's etc for something close. Cool bartenders, and they play cool music. Never really too busy.

Big Woods right down the block has the best pizza near downtown...maybe tied with Da Vinci at 3rd and Washington. Other good stuff there as well. If you want a walk over to Mother Bear's, the deep dish is always a classic.

DaVinci has the best pasta dish in town, a pesto tortellini. Have your kids get the cheese bread app, it's like a full meal.

New place called Chubbies near the Burkirk/Indiana Theater has DECENT Mexican...but honestly, all Mexican in Bloomington sucks...but if you absolutely HAVE to have a burrito or something, hit there, or the Pili's truck around the corner on Walnut down from Trojan Horse.

The Super G at Trojan Horse always a winner.

Uptown and Zagrebs outpace Malibu these days for higher end stuff, but Malibu has a wider variety if the kids are picky.

Nick's....I mean...wouldn't waste my time unless it was a pregame and you have the environment. Marginal pizza and their burgers suck. 50/50 the doorman will be wearing a "**** TRUMP" hat...if you're into that.

I'd opt for Buffalouie's at Gables over Nick's for that historical bent. Wider menu, better food, and you can show the kids where Hoagy wrote Stardust.

Crazyhorse is decent...like if you can't get into Uptown, Zags, or Malibu decent.

Lennie's is now on Kirkwood..which means they no longer have their old oven on 10th...thus a bit devalued from what it used to be IMO.

Last edited:
For gear...

Go to Andrew Davis on the square FIRST. Pricey, but quality stuff. Peter Millar, Johnnie O, Vinyard, etc.

The TIS store on Kirkwood is called "The Indiana Shop". Right next to Nick's. Was in there yesterday, decent stock.

Don't sleep on Tracks, though. Bunch of more affordable stuff, unique items. Good prices.

The official IU store is at the corner of Indiana and Kirkwood. Kinda like a mini version of the grandaddy of the gear stores...

The IU Bookstore in the Union. Biggest stock of items. Brands of all value. Clearance area downstairs usually. probably more stuff than all other stores combined.

Oh one more suggestion for The Graduate. Not sure what your room choices were, but I’ve often upgraded at check in . They have four rooms that are really cool. It’s a one bedroom king size bed, with a living/kitchen and a pullout couch. The best part is it has its own private balcony that is huge! Has a ping pong table, picnic table, 4 lounge chairs, etc. It’s really great if weather happens to be decent, and overlooks Kirkwood. You have a CVS right across the street for whatever you or the kids invariably forget.

And if your kids are into "Stranger Things", see if they still have the "Stranger Things" room setup at the Graduate. They put alot of work into that thing (couple rooms actually). Might even see if it's still available for a night as a surprise.

My 12 yo daughter stayed there and loved it. Pretty legit.

you never said where the lecture was, or when.
So sorry! I meant to post the links but forgot. Here you go:

They are having serious staffing issues, lije so many places now.

Yeah...because the place sucks.

Buffas, Brothers, Yogis, Horse....hell, Alley Bar...

All open for both the Men's and Women's elimination games. Well staffed.

Nick's...the quintessential IU bar...closed.

Sell it to someone who cares.

Yeah...because the place sucks.

Buffas, Brothers, Yogis, Horse....hell, Alley Bar...

All open for both the Men's and Women's elimination games. Well staffed.

Nick's...the quintessential IU bar...closed.

Sell it to someone who cares.
Dick Barnes would be losing his mind.

Speaking of the graduate I saw they have a stranger things room. My daughter LOVES stranger things. Obsessed. Two nights minimum $1,800. Damn!!

I like the hotel and the spot. Pricey for that room tho!
Yeah, I think I'm paying $110 a night. You can't sleep on a park bench in Chicago for $110 a night.

Just hoping the rain holds off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT