ADVERTISEMENT

four seasons, Loews , trump , or the viceroy

The Loews was nice & in a decent location. head to Chinatown & eat at MCCB for some really good Chinese. Of course, I’ve only visited so I’m sure others can give a more informed opinion...

The Loews was nice & in a decent location. head to Chinatown & eat at MCCB for some really good Chinese. Of course, I’ve only visited so I’m sure others can give a more informed opinion...
Phoenix for dim sum.

are they in the gold coast area
Virgins is downtown. About 3 or 4 blocks from the Bean. Acme is in River North. So not far from Gold Coast. Viceroy and Four Seasons are both pretty great and if I'm not mistaken are pretty in the heart of the Gold Coast neighborhood.

those familiar with Chicago which hotel do you prefer

Viceroy was very nice. Maybe my expectations were low but definitely a 4.5 star.

heard nothing but good things about the Trump.

best is Peninsula or Ritz. I'm trying out the Four Seasons in July, but it doesn't seem to be on par.

is that a restaurant or lounge?

Old school lounge (second place to serve booze post prohibition). Food is decent, but drinks are solid and they have some really old school entertainment (Piano with Sinatra cover singers, etc.). I don't usually like that music, but the vibe in that place is something unique.

may stop by for a drink then thanks, sounds like a cool place, in your open what's the best steakhouse in the area
Lot of good newer ones. Maple and Ash is nearby and excellent. Bavettes is my favorite right now.

I you’re unoriginal and lazy any of the Morton’s brand restaurants are consistent.

Tango Sur or El Che if you like the Argentininian style.

Steer clear of Chicago Cut.

Lot of good newer ones. Maple and Ash is nearby and excellent. Bavettes is my favorite right now.

I you’re unoriginal and lazy any of the Morton’s brand restaurants are consistent.

I didn't think Cut was that bad, except it is way too loud (pre-COVID). I like Bavettes or Joe's. Mastro's was overrated.

I didn't think Cut was that bad, except it is way too loud (pre-COVID). I like Bavettes or Joe's. Mastro's was overrated.
Chicago Cut is good. Nothing wrong with the steak. Place is just kind of kitchy.

Steakhouses should be dark and focused on the food. Not about potentially catching a celebrity sighting and river views.

Plus they advertise too much. The best steakhouses are above that.

no on Morton's not a fan , bavettes and Gibson's look interesting , are places opening back up in Chicago or are there still a lot of covid restrictions, thanks for the info

no on Morton's not a fan , bavettes and Gibson's look interesting , are places opening back up in Chicago or are there still a lot of covid restrictions, thanks for the info
Places are open. Still some restrictions on capacity. Restaurants have been jammed.

My boss from a previous job loved Gibson's. That was the go-to team dinner joint when we got together and did our quarterly reviews. It's good, but very different from Bavette's in the decor and ambience department.

I haven't seen to Chicago since all this started, so curious about how open everything is myself.

Places are open. Still some restrictions on capacity. Restaurants have been jammed.
damn must be, just tried to make a reservation for June 12th at maple and ash cant get a table till 930 and want a 100 deposit per person, is that the norm in Chicago never put a deposit down on a restaurant reservation

damn must be, just tried to make a reservation for June 12th at maple and ash cant get a table till 930 and want a 100 deposit per person, is that the norm in Chicago never put a deposit down on a restaurant reservation
Place is the highest of the high class and you'll run up a $1000 tab there without breaking a sweat. But you can swing it, you're staying at the Peninsula after all.

Last edited:
A place like that is always going to be difficult but because of the capacity limits its especially difficult.

I remember a few years back when Stephanie Izard opened up her new place, Girl and Goat, you had to offer up your first born for a reservation.

Place is the highest of the high class and you'll run up a $1000 tab there without breaking a sweat. But you can swing it, you're staying at the Peninsula after all.
prices didn't seem that high looked to me about 150 a person type place, have some I don't give a f@ck special for 200 a person that doesn't seem to classy

prices didn't seem that high looked to me about 150 a person type place, have some I don't give a f@ck special for 200 a person that doesn't seem to classy
A dry dinner for two won't hurt you too bad. Went there with a couple buddies for cocktails a few weeks ago and think we were $300+.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT