ADVERTISEMENT

Four join for IU's spring semester (link)

and Mares is leaving for MLS

I can't help but wonder if there weren't some chemistry issues with him coming in last year. Maybe that's unfair though. At any rate, the IDS article I just read made it sound as though things between he and Yeagley were not all that rosy, at least at the end.

Mares has not been drafted yet in the MLS Superdraft

The first 2 rounds of the draft were last Thurs and he was not picked. Rounds 3 and 4 are Tuesday the 21st. I assume he (or more likely his agent) had a pretty good indication that he'd be getting drafted, or else why leave school early? But then again, we've seen guys make poor decisions to leave school early to go pro in various sports.

We'll see where he winds up tomorrow. Good luck to him!

Mares not drafted

Mares did not end up getting selected in the MLS Superdraft.

Seems very strange to me that the kid left IU to enter the draft, but didn't even get picked. What kind of advice was he getting?! He also said that he did not talk at all to Todd about his decision. Why not have Todd make some calls and evaluate what your draft status might be? Todd is one of the most powerful college soccer coaches and played for years in MLS. He could be your best resource in determining what your draft stock is.

Instead he doesn't talk to Todd, signs with an agent who apparently gave him awful advice, and now he can't play college soccer again...when he had a chance to come back to an elite program and develop for another year and try for the 2015 draft.

I hope he can at least catch onto an NASL team, but who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT